Gunshop Trades rip u off

Guest Darbley77

Guest Darbley77

I have a xd 9 service but have decided that a Glock 26 will be a much better carry weapon for me (as far as a 9mm goes, still tring to decide on a carry 45). The gun is rated 98% but only will get $300 at a Gunshop and thats with everything it came with and 3 high capaticy mags. I know they are in it to make money but.........to get my Glock it would be my gun and another $225. sorry............just needed to vent! :up:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain, but consider the dealer's point of view. Odds are they could get a brand spanking new Springfield XD for a little over $300, why would they pay the same price for a used one? Unless you have something that the store cannot order, you're never going to do as well on trade as you are selling it privately, assuming you can find a buyer.

I have a xd 9 service but have decided that a Glock 26 will be a much better carry weapon for me (as far as a 9mm goes, still tring to decide on a carry 45). The gun is rated 98% but only will get $300 at a Gunshop and thats with everything it came with and 3 high capaticy mags. I know they are in it to make money but.........to get my Glock it would be my gun and another $225. sorry............just needed to vent! :)
That's why I recently sold my Sigma 40. The gunshop would have given me maybe 150. I sold it for 300. Only 50 bucks less than I paid.

Wholesale on the Springfields runs from 4-450, depending on model etc. Thats what the dealer could get a brand new one for.

If he buys it/trades it, he has to stick it in his case and hope the right buyer comes by. The gun could sit there for months (ask me about my green XD .45 sometime) and in the end he might have to sell it at a loss.

You, otoh, will have to find the right buyer at the right price. You are limited mostly to your circle of friends and acquaintances (includeing us folks here). You might never find a buyer at the price you want.

So you are basically paying the dealer to do the work that you cannot or arent willing to do. How much that is worth to the dealer and you is an individual decision. I know some guns I am much more likely to trade closer to wholesale on than others. A Glock 19 is almost always in demand. A Kimber isn't unless I can just steal it and then offer it at a good price. Someone pitched me a Rohrbaugh once. Nice gun but the market for $1,000 .380s is just a tad thin and I passed on it.

It's not a ripoff. Your arm wasn't twisted. If you aren't happy with the price offered, go somewhere else or sell it yourself.

I was pissed off because I didn't get a reacharound the last time I bought a gun, but I didn't go and make a thread here about it.

Guest BigBoostDSM

I wouldn't say they rip you off. They are in the business of making money. If they buy it from you for 400, they have to sell it for 450-500 to make it worth their while. Like said, they can get them for 450 or less NEW. Yea, your gun may be in great shape...but it's still used regardless of how you look at it.

If you need to make a quick sale, then selling it to an FFL is probably your best bet. If you can wait for the right buyer, then sell it privately on a forum/gunbroker/etc.

Guest HexHead
A Glock 19 is almost always in demand. A Kimber isn't unless I can just steal it and then offer it at a good price.

While I'm not surprised about the Glock, I am surprised there's a thin market for a Kimber?

Guest ETS_Inc

Think about it this way:

There's a reason you want to get rid of the Xd, and get a Glock. That reason: you feel that the Glock is a superior weapon, or is better suited to your needs.

Now, you want the dealer, who is in business to turn over inventory, to take a gun which you find inferior, and give you a gun which you find superior.

What if every other buyer felt that way about the two guns? The buyer could easily sell the Glock and get his money out of it, as well as a profit. But, if everyone thinks the way you do, that the XD is inferior, the dealer is going to be stuck with an inferior hunk of plastic and steel. That means his money is tied up in a gun he can't move.

When people ask me to take a trade, or to buy their gun, I'll tell them that they're better off selling it to someone outright, rather than to me. Why would I pay retail for a used gun, when I can get a new one for wholesale? The fact that you had to pay tax, TICS, and the dealer's profit margin when you bought it doesn't even enter the equation for the folks on the dealer's side of the counter.

I get several people a gunshow asking me if I'll buy their A2-style AR upper, or take it in on trade, so that they can get an A3-style. They want the versatility of a flattop, so they can mount optics. Well, guess what? So does the majority of the market! I can't afford to give much for an A2-style upper, because it's going to be more difficult to sell than that A3 upper sitting on the table. Just this past weekend, I had a guy ask me to buy his 11.5" A2 upper for $350. I showed him the wholesale catalog, with my price for the same upper, and then explained to him the reason I didn't have A2's sitting on the table (and the added difficulty of selling a pistol / SBR / MG upper). He appreciated the honesty, and since he really wanted to get rid of the upper, we came to a deal, just $20 below my cost.

Guest canynracer

Why not just try to sell it? or look into consignment? gunbroker? there ARE options.....

an another note, when you shop for your Glock, do you not shop until you find the best deal? If you found the Glock you were looking for here on the site, would you not ty to get it as cheap as possible?

What would be a reasonable offer for your XD service? if you want full trade in, how is the shop owner going to sell it and make any profit when a new one is not much more?

Same goes for your car...you buy BRAND new, 5 miles on it...and most depreciate the SECOND the tires hit public streets...thats just the way it goes...

anytime you "TRADE" with just about any retailer in any industry your not at an advantage. I tell EVERYONE I trade with, "You can sell this to an individual and get allot more then I will give you"...

You have to look at all sorts of thing. We warranty everything we sell, so its on me if I find out there is a problem I didn't see. You also have to know the market, season, and demand of the item your taking in... and in the end, anytime you dint feel good about it just say no and walk away.

Used XDs usually bring less than $400, unless they are somehow improved or have night-sights, etc...

That's the best you could probably hope to sell it for, and the most that the dealer could hope to sell it for... of course they will try to get into it with enough margin to make it worth their while. They don't want your gun, they are only willing to make money off of it. If you or I was offered to buy a gun that we didn't necessarily want, the primary consideration we would have would be whether we could recoup our costs quickly, or eventually make money by selling it.

The last year or so, I've traded for nearly all of my new guns... and that involves taking a loss on the trade. It simply depends on whether the purchase deal is worth that. Also, it's a matter of how much that gun is worth to you... if it's worth more than the prospective trade is allowing, then you'd best keep it.

Guest Darbley77

I am in businees so I understand that in making a deal it is about profit. As I said in the very first post-----Just needed to vent. I appreciate everyone responding to this but I dont need a lesson in business. If I was in the dealers position I would do the same. It was just about venting.

Thanks

Guest canynracer

Hmmm...in that case....

It's not a ripoff. Your arm wasn't twisted. If you aren't happy with the price offered, go somewhere else or sell it yourself.

I was pissed off because I didn't get a reacharound the last time I bought a gun, but I didn't go and make a thread here about it.

stupid.gif

I am in businees so I understand that in making a deal it is about profit. As I said in the very first post-----Just needed to vent. I appreciate everyone responding to this but I dont need a lesson in business. If I was in the dealers position I would do the same. It was just about venting.

Thanks

It's ok to vent - it's healthy... for the most part ;)

Why are Glock-19's in such high demand ????????????

Because they work better for more people than any other gun.

I'm not going to argue they are ideal (they aren't). But if you look at the combination of factors, size, weight, capacity, caliber, availability of mags, holsters, etc, ease of shooting, you'll see that more people will find it a comfortable gun than is the case with any other. If someone walked in and asked for a semi but didnt know anything at all about guns, that would probably be the one I would sell him.

Guest Darbley77

That sure is big, bad words coming from the man that thinks the G26 is "too big" for his hands.

My gun wasn't traded and is still with me. As far as posting a thread about something----isn't that the purpose of sites like this and many many others? If you dont like or agree with what is written ---than just scurry on down the road. It wont hurt my feelng if you fight that urge to reply with stupid comments.;)