Bought a new .22

Will H

Usually I am excited when I get a new gun, but this one tickles me to no end.

My wife is very accurate with .22s, and loves them, but she is also one of those people that are very recoil sensitive. I had her shoot my Winchester 94 once. She pulled the trigger, said nothing, but just held it out by the forestock until I came up to the firing line and took it from her. She wanted nothing else to do with it. I really needed to get her a .22, but she hates messing with .22 mags, as do I.

I walked into a store in Covington yesterday and walked out with a "Pre-1985" Glenfield Model 60 18 shot tube-fed for $85.00. I cleaned the mud out of it last night and got it oiled up. The stock is rough, but the action looks good. we will take it up to the Natchez range today to see how it runs. I think this is going to be perfect for her.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Marlin-GlenField M-60 is an accurate easy to shoot semi-automatic .22LR that has started many a shooter and kicked around more than its share of empty beverage cans. Most of them will last forever or until someone takes them apart to clean them up. Stick a low power rimfire scope on yours and have fun.

Most of them will last forever or until someone takes them apart to clean them up.

Sadly I had to take this one apart last night to clean it. It had audible grit in the action. When I got it apart it actually had mud in the bottom of it, not lead and residue, but actual mud. All the parts look good, so I am hoping for the best with it. I plan on getting her a scope eventually for it, but I want her to get some time on the sights first.

Just got back from the range. We put over 150 rounds thru the Glenfield, some as fast as I could pull the trigger, and no jams at all. The gun performed flawlessly. I guess I am going to sling and scope it. My wife wants to shoot it well enough to pick off small game like rabbit at 100 yards with CCI Velociter rounds.

Most of them will last forever or until someone takes them apart to clean them up.

Is there a problem with taking these apart and cleaning? My pre-85 Marlin comes apart very easy for cleaning and is sweet as honey! Accuracy is incredible too!

My trigger guard has cracked near the rear screw due to age and I probably need to get that replaced, but it's available online for a good price. This is my #1 most favorite gun... and I'm bringing my 16 year old daughter with us to the range this weekend so she can shoot it for the first time.

I need to find an open field to really enjoy this one...

I know the OP's wife enjoys hers. That's a good price for a nice little rifle.

Is there a problem with taking these apart and cleaning? My pre-85 Marlin comes apart very easy for cleaning and is sweet as honey! Accuracy is incredible too!

QUOTE]

It depends, just removing the action from the stock and such is a non issue, when folk's relly tear these down it pretty much ends things. Once they realize how much a good gunsmith is going to charge them to get the rifle running again they pass along the problem to someone else or junk it.

Looking at the firing hammer assembly... I would hope that it was obvious that you really shouldn't mess with taking that thing apart. I never have. I usually just clean that with a Q-Tip, solvent, and an air compressor. I can't get Adobe Reader to download on this new laptop for some reason (slow hotel connection?), but I don't think that Marlin recommends doing much more in the product manual.

Yeah, all I did to mine is empty the receiver out of the major component groups, clean and lube them without taking them apart. The gun would have to be broke for me to do that. LOL. I usually clean my guns every time they are fired, but I won't even do that with this one. I will run patches down the barrel ever time, and maybe take it down to the major components again every 500 or so rounds. These things are like tanks. They just keep right on running.

Oh, and all 150 of the rounds I put thru it were the $1.97 lead federals. I love shooting that cheap.

She loves it. She loves that it is so quiet, and she really likes the tube fed aspect. .22 magazines are not fun to mess with. She wants me to put a scope on it for her so she can really reach out there with it. I thought about a little rimfire scope, but with her wanting to shoot at the 100 yard mark I think I am going to get a scope that is a bit better, but still on the low end.

I've been shooting a ruger 10/22 since around 1977-8 and it's been a dependable, easy to maintain rifle. I used the aftermarket 20-30 rounds mags but had problems with them and started using the 10 round ruger mags.

I've been looking at a Henry rifle for my next .22 rifle.

Edited by tnhawk
typing error

I like the Henry, but they just seem to cheaply made these days with their painted receivers and plastic barrel bands. I have always expected more from them. I want to get a 10/22 one of these days, but they have gotten very expensive. I will eventually find one used I suppose.

I've been shooting a ruger 10/22 since around 1977-8 and it's been a dependable, easy to maintain rifle. I used the aftermarket 20-30 rounds mags but had problems with them and started using the 10 round ruger mags.

You know Ruger is making 25 rounders now for the 10/22. Came out several months ago and they work flawlessly. http://www.ruger.com/micros/BX-25/index.html?r=y

... I want to get a 10/22 one of these days, but they have gotten very expensive....

Basic carbine still ~$199.00, has been for years....

It remains one of the best buys in the whole world of firearms.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I've been looking at a Henry rifle for my next .22 rifle.

Are you looking at the one Whalley world carries for $286. I remember the First time I saw it on sale for $196. Should have bought. I really like the feel just for plinking.

• 2 weeks later...

One more update I went to the range again this morning to try out a new Beretta mag, and brought the Glenfield along. We are now up to 500 rounds fired thru it with no FTF, FTE, or anything else, using all cheap Federals. I love this thing! It has an extractor on each side, and hits those rounds like a hammer.

• 3 weeks later...

Finially had the first bit of trouble out of the Glenfield 60 at the range today. It jammed three times in 100 rounds. Got it home, stripped it down and found the recoil buffer split. Seems a failure common to the Marlin/Glenfield 60. Given that it is an 18 shot Glenfield the plastic block has gone for at least 28 years. LOL I am sure to have it running again soon.