How I feel about bikers haha

TLRMADE

Help me understand how I am thinnned skinned when someone posts up a video of a cyclist - not even riding on a road - gets injured in a freak accident with the original posters wish that he could do the same?

For a bunch of people who always tout their legal rights about carrying a gun in public, some openly, you sure do like to trample and complain about other people's rights to pursue a legal pastime.

I know, it's tough when you need to hurry down to the Cracker Barrel before the line gets long. It can be tough when your gelatainous body has to refrain from glutonizing on another plate of Chicken Fried Chicken with a double portion of hash brown casserole for another 4 seconds it may take for you to maneuver around me while I legally ride down the right side of the road. But if you don't mind, I would really like to get home to my family. Who is thin skinned now?

I am probably one of the most courteous cyclist out there. I can't stand when other cyclists are jerks to motorists and I understand that drivers aren't really looking for cyclists, so trust me on this, I'm as much if not more patient with drivers then they are with me. You know how annoying it is when a driver has to slow down behind you, you can feel their aggression, then they get a chance to go by and what do they do? Floor it so you get to breathe their exhaust. Diesel red-neck-mobiles seem to be the most common offenders and never miss an opportunity to share their pollution with you. I know they are in hurry to the local beer mart to pick up another six pack of PBR, but is that really necessary?

Bike paths - yes, what a sham! How in the world can I ride safely down a glorified side walk with people walking their dogs, listening to headphones and not paying attention when I am riding between 20 and 25 mph? In addition, I'm not legally required to ride on them. Just like many like to remind us all they aren't legally required to conceal their handgun. In addition, I usually scare the crap out of people when I ride up behind them making no noise only to come 2 feet by them as I make my way around.

So in conclusion, please give me the legal 3 feet required when you pass me. And when it comes to my life, I'm a little thin skinned.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people were truly as concerned for their lives as they claim, they wouldn't ride on a busy highway, competing with 4-ton vehicles.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

Fortunately, you don't get to decide what's best for other people. It's a dangerous world out there. You should probably just stay home.

You know how annoying it is when a driver has to slow down behind you, you can feel their aggression, then they get a chance to go by and what do they do? Floor it so you get to breathe their exhaust. Diesel red-neck-mobiles seem to be the most common offenders and never miss an opportunity to share their pollution with you. I know they are in hurry to the local beer mart to pick up another six pack of PBR, but is that really necessary?

I don't think it's always that black and white. When I come up on a cyclist on a road with a higher speed limit (55 mph), I don't care to slow down or pass with plenty of room. If I am the only vehicle involved or if there is plenty of visibility, then it is a non-issue. There are times when you crest the top of a hill (or a curve) going 55 and have to brake for a bike. My concern at that point is the crazy driver behind me going 65 that is about to rear end me or have a head-on with oncoming traffic. In that case, I will pass ASAP to get that situation behind me.

Fortunately, you don't get to decide what's best for other people. It's a dangerous world out there. You should probably just stay home.

Oh, great logic. I'm not trying to decide anything for anyone any more than you are by telling me to "just stay home". I wouldn't even want to be able to decide for you or anyone else. I have enough trouble running my own life.

You guys are just proving my point about some cyclists being overly sensitive. Not all, but more than a few. The fact remains, if you don't want to compete with rude drivers, don't ride on busy roads. The rude drivers aren't going away.

Oh, and BTW, I give riders their 3 feet and I don't zoom by so they have to breathe my exhaust (even though they're breathing it whether I do it or not). Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Oh, great logic. I'm not trying to decide anything for anyone any more than you are by telling me to "just stay home". I wouldn't even want to be able to decide for you or anyone else. I have enough trouble running my own life.

You guys are just proving my point about some cyclists being overly sensitive. Not all, but more than a few. The fact remains, if you don't want to compete with rude drivers, don't ride on busy roads. The rude drivers aren't going away.

Oh, and BTW, I give riders their 3 feet and I don't zoom by so they have to breathe my exhaust (even though they're breathing it whether I do it or not). Doesn't mean I have to like it.

It's not our thin emotional skin, its our thins external skin and easily broken bones!:) I got hit at 25 mph by a guy on his cell phone and the doctor said I looked like i got my leg hit by a sledgehammer!. Just sayin!

Guest BungieCord

It's stupid to expect bicyclists to obey laws written for motor vehicles. For one thing, strictly obeying the motor code increases the incidence of conflict with a motor vehicle, which reduces the bicyclist's safety. Regardless of the type of vehicles involved, increasing the number of conflicts increases the number of accidents. And most accidents occur at intersections, which is why bicyclists have such a sketchy relationship with traffic lights and stop signs. The most minor incident between a car or truck and a bicyclist usually sends the cyclist to the ER ...or the morgue.

So far, only one state -- Idaho -- has created a special legal status for bicycles and given them their own set of traffic laws. In Idaho, traffic permitting, every red light is effectively a stop sign and every stop sign is a yield sign. Eventually, all the other states will pull their heads out of their poop chutes and follow suit.

For another thing, bicyclists are not accorded equal protection under the law so we HAVE TO take matters in to our own hands, if we intend to survive. Tennessee passed a law in 2007 requiring that motorists leave a minimum of three feet of room when overtaking a bicyclist (which I dare say the most of you have never heard of). Not only is it unenforced, the police habitually are among the worst offenders.

In 2009, a Chattanooga bicycle shop owner by name of David Meek was struck and killed by a delivery truck while he was riding through a residential neighborhood near his home. The driver of the delivery truck wasn't charged or cited with anything, not even violating the 3-foot low. It buggers all imagination how he managed to run over and kill the cyclist without encroaching on his three feet.

So until they change the laws so bicyclists can live with them -- and I mean that in the literal sense -- don't bother expecting compliance.

Edited by BungieCord

There was a thread on this topic a month or three ago and I said something similar then and I will say again. There are typically two types of road bike riders, the serious ones, the ones that obey the traffic laws, know how to manuever in traffic and limit the inconvenience of others and then the seasonal, "I'm going to get a road bike and ride" type that come out when it gets warm in the spring, buy a $200 bike, a pair of spandex and every accessory that they can buy and then after a couple of rides, there bike goes in the back of the garage never to be seen again. Some actually will spend a ton on their bikes and you can find those as a deal on craigslist. The experienced rider rides in a line that is so precise it is unbelievable, the non experienced guy weaves all over the place. You can also hear the inexperienced guy coming a mile away (at least I can when I'm running), the experienced guy, you can barely hear them, you typically hear a slight hum of the tires and then feel the wind as they pass you, but in reality, they usually say something like "biker on your left" to let you know they are passing you. On the street, the inexperienced guys are dangerous, the experienced guys are as safe as anyone. I've seen a few of the experienced guys not completely stop at a stop sign or signal, they will go through if it is safe, this actually is to your benefit, they keep their momentum going and get moving faster so that traffic is not impeded through the intersection.

This is just my experience in coming up on riders and seeing riders while at running on the streets and our greenline. I can't recall any problem with the experienced guys, on the road or on the greenline path. I've had issues with the non-experienced guy on both.

We all need to have more respect for each other, makes the world a better and safer place. I'm poking a little fun at the newbies out there on bikes, because we all have to start somewhere, and some of those guys will become experienced riders in no time. Experienced/inexperienced riders are very easy to spot when you can see them coming down a greenline from a half mile away. It's quite fun to watch.

I was running one early morning just before daybreak and one of the experienced guys came up from behind me, I didn't hear or see them, scared the crap out of both of us. That was my "inexperience" running in low light situations, I have since bought a flashing light that I strap on to my ankle. I be experienced now!

It's not our thin emotional skin, its our thins external skin and easily broken bones!:) I got hit at 25 mph by a guy on his cell phone and the doctor said I looked like i got my leg hit by a sledgehammer!. Just sayin!

Let me repeat it:

The fact remains, if you don't want to compete with rude drivers, don't ride on busy roads. The rude drivers aren't going away.

It's not a hard concept.

If people were truly as concerned for their lives as they claim, they wouldn't ride on a busy highway, competing with 4-ton vehicles.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

I second this and feel the same about motorbikes. But, I gotta admit, I've never seen a cyclist flip off someone. On the other hand, I've seen many a bird fly out of a car, especially after they've broken 3 different laws trying to get around other cars, let alone bicycles.

Auto drivers are much more dangerous & rude.

Oh, great logic. I'm not trying to decide anything for anyone any more than you are by telling me to "just stay home".

Except that I was being sarcastic. Although, if you really think cyclists want to be hit then you should stay home.

You guys are just proving my point about some cyclists being overly sensitive. Not all, but more than a few.

How is it overly sensitive to be pissed about jokes implying serious injury or shooting at cyclists? Imagine instead of a deer target on a bike it's a statement that some other group "deserves" to be shot at or seriously injured? That's not overly-sensitive.

Thanks a lot. I'll speak for most cyclists when I say I don't give a rats a$$ whether you like me there or not. If I have a chance to let you by I'll make room ASAP. It's when you laugh at threats, imply cyclists deserve to be injured etc... That's when I have a problem. Like others on this board, I've been spat at, had things thrown at me, cussed, threatened etc... Guess what? On every occasion that I can recall it has been on a back road somewhere when I was not blocking any traffic etc... This leads me to the conclusion that the perpetrators that did it weren't really upset about their inconvienence or concern for anyone's safety. They did it because they saw the opportunity to act like a jerk, drive off, and get away with it. Sorry if you think we're overly sensitive, I guess if someone joked about shooting you, you'd laugh it off.

I don't disagree with that at all. But the fact that they are should be enough reason to stay off the highway if you're not in a motor vehicle.

I guess you'd outlaw motorcycles if you were king? How about small cars? Convertibles? All drivers should wear helmets?

Thanks a lot. I'll speak for most cyclists when I say I don't give a rats a$$ whether you like me there or not. If I have a chance to let you by I'll make room ASAP. It's when you laugh at threats, imply cyclists deserve to be injured etc... That's when I have a problem. Like others on this board, I've been spat at, had things thrown at me, cussed, threatened etc... Guess what? On every occasion that I can recall it has been on a back road somewhere when I was not blocking any traffic etc... This leads me to the conclusion that the perpetrators that did it weren't really upset about their inconvienence or concern for anyone's safety. They did it because they saw the opportunity to act like a jerk, drive off, and get away with it. Sorry if you think we're overly sensitive, I guess if someone joked about shooting you, you'd laugh it off.

Well, gee golly whiz, then I guess I don't give a rat's hiney whether you have to breathe my exhaust or not or whether you like or don't like the way I pass you. But I'll keep showing respect to the ones who don't act as though they have MORE right to be on the road than I do. Fair enough?

And if you're speaking for most cyclists, then I guess I'm justified in how I regard most of them when they don't bother to ride single file when I'm trying to get around them or disobeying other rules of the road.

I thought you were done with this?

We can always count on JReed to take up the fight for the cyclist. J I'm surprised you have any energy left after the last thread like this.

Well, I thought so too. Seems like I had more to say about it. Good thing I didn't sign a contract, huh?

How is it overly sensitive to be pissed about jokes implying serious injury or shooting at cyclists? Imagine instead of a deer target on a bike it's a statement that some other group "deserves" to be shot at or seriously injured? That's not overly-sensitive.

I guess if someone joked about shooting you, you'd laugh it off.

I must have missed the part about shooting at cyclists.

Well, gee golly whiz, then I guess I don't give a rat's hiney whether you have to breathe my exhaust or not or whether you like or don't like the way I pass you. But I'll keep showing respect to the ones who don't act as though they have MORE right to be on the road than I do. Fair enough?

There's a huge difference here. What you don't get is that, all joking aside, no one is questioning your right to be on the road. You seem to start from the position that if you don't like someone they shouldn't be there or they are stupid if they make a different choice than you.

And if you're speaking for most cyclists, then I guess I'm justified in how I regard most of them.

When did I advocate breaking any laws or doing anything undesirable? The only thing I'm advocating is that I don't need your permission to do something that's well within the law. I guess that's thin-skinned of me.

We can always count on JReed to take up the fight for the cyclist. J I'm surprised you have any energy left after the last thread like this.

I'm done. If anyone wants to see my thoughts they can search for the old thread. I'm astonished by all these folks that talk about individual liberties etc... but don't think that basic safety rules and common courtesy don't extend to those who are different from them. Next someone will say cyclists don't follow the rules of the road even though I clearly advocate that cyclists should follow the rules of the road. Then they will flip things on me and say that cyclists shouldn't be on the road specifically because drivers don't follow the rules of the road by texting etc... and (they won't even see the contradiction. ;))

First page, deer on bike. You posted it.

That's a caution sign!!!

Did you watch the video in the OP? That deer or African antelope animal practically jumped on that biker's back. Seemed to be an appropriate sign where the deer crossing met the bike crossing (deer on a bike... ). The pic I posted has nothing to do with shooting anything, unless your the guy that thinks your suppose to shoot at deer crossing signs. ;)