I put a Beretta92 FS in my hand, now I am thinking about it.

vontar

I put a Beretta 92 FS in my hand, now I am thinking about it.

I am not looking at this for a CC weapon, but as a range target/ carry pistol while hunting.

I have thought about it and while hunting I figure I would like to carry something that would also be legal to hunt with. While hunting I figure it does not matter so much if I am CC since any one is going to know I am carrying as they are going to see my rifle, etc.

I have been carrying my Judge, however with only a 3inch barrel not legal for hunting, so I can only carry it for SD with my HCP. I did confirm with a game warden and he did tell me that as long as I didn't shoot game with it and I had my HCP no issue with carrying a hand gun that was not illegal for hunting as long as it was the personal self defense weapon.

The Beretta felt good in my hand and I could carry as SD and use on game if I wanted to since it is at least 4 inch barrel. I think wiki said 4.3,

Anyone have much feed back on it before I buy one? I haven't yet but I am on the edge of buying one.

Beretta 92 FS

15 + 1

9 MM

single/double action

decocker

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....I have been carrying my Judge, however with only a 3inch barrel not legal for hunting, ....

That requirement is gone. For better or worse, you can now hunt deer, bear, and elk with a .25 derringer if you want.

Just don't use FMJ round, as that would be unethical and dangerous.

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils

92FS is probably my favorite pistola, though there are numerous fine pistols. It is "accurate enough", exceptionally reliable, easy to shoot, nearly non-existent muzzle flip, and field strips trivially easy with no tools. And it is among the most visually-pleasing designs, especially the Inox (silvery) versions.

The barrel is about 4.75".

Maybe one of the "more recent" 92 variants such as a 90-two would be "slightly better" with some features such as easily replaceable front sights and a rail. If one thought such features might be desirable. My eyes are not getting any better, and it would be a science project to get a fiber-optic front sight mounted on a standard 92FS.

92FS is probably my favorite pistola, ....The barrel is about 4.75".

"Officially", 4.9 ".

I've only had mine for a short while, but really like it. I seem to be significantly more accurate with it from 15-25 yards than with my 5" XD 9, too. Just bought it new factory walnut grips in appreciation, even. :D

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils
"Officially", 4.9 ".

I've only had mine for a short while, but really like it. I seem to be significantly more accurate with it from 15-25 yards than with my 5" XD 9, too. Just bought it new factory walnut grips in appreciation, even. :D

- OS

My bad. You are correct.

I had quickly measured it with a tape measure and mis-read the tape markings. It is "very close" to 4 7/8 but I originally misread that as 4 3/4.

On the engineers rule it measures "very close" to 4.9 as you say.

That requirement is gone. For better or worse, you can now hunt deer, bear, and elk with a .25 derringer if you want.

Just don't use FMJ round, as that would be unethical and dangerous.

- OS

Still have to have a 4 inch barrel per

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - FAQs

Can I hunt with a handgun?

Yes, (depending on the season) but you must be 18 years of age.

For Deer, Bear, Boar, and Wild Hog hunting, center-fire handguns having a barrel length of four (4) inches or more, are legal in all counties except where regulated by legislative acts.

Handguns using rim-fire ammunition and air rifles are legal for hunting small game except migratory birds

However, sounds like this is going to be a pistol for me, yea I had read some place 4.9 inch. So it fits the bill for no question on being legal to hunt with if I so desire.

Edited by vontar
Just be prepared for the dreaded Beretta virus. you know the one that compells us to buy more and more Berettas. I've got 92's, 96's, a vertec 96, 9000's, cougars, and the cx4 storm carbine. Next up is the Nano (9mm pocket gun).

I seem immune from such. I currently don't own more then one buy from any one maker. Nothing is wrong with any of mine, just so many choices I want to experience others. You know guns don't mind if you have others.

Thing is we are both both using the TWRA as a source of information. We both getting information from the same horses month and he is telling us 2 different tales at the same website on different pages. Both pages are live right now.

So I am betting a game warden would charge a person if the person said they were hunting with a pistol with a barrel of less then 4 inches. So for now any pistol on my person with less then 4 is only for SD.

On the chart you listed, does not say barrel length at all, but under FAQ they cover Barrel length which is what I posted.

However I guess a lawyer could tear that apart as to the way they word it, that they don't say under 4 is illegal either.

Thing is we are both both using the TWRA as a source of information. We both getting information from the same horses month and he is telling us 2 different tales at the same website on different pages. Both pages are live right now.

So I am betting a game warden would charge a person if the person said they were hunting with a pistol with a barrel of less then 4 inches. So for now any pistol on my person with less then 4 is only for SD.

On the chart you listed, does not say barrel length at all, but under FAQ they cover Barrel length which is what I posted.

However I guess a lawyer could tear that apart as to the way they word it, that they don't say under 4 is illegal either.

It oughtta be illegal to use 9mm for deer too, IMO, but it's not. But barrel length is no longer a reg.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/hunting-fishing/62134-handguns-hunting-2011-tn-regs.html#post783885

Btw, BATF has had erroneous legal info in their FAQ for many years now.

Frequently Asked Questions does not necessarily equate to Completely Correct Answers.

- OS

Guest lostpass

I see a lot of beretta hate fun gun forums in general but I've never really got it. It's a really popular gun and often people will hate on what is popular and find any excuse. I've got one and it has been perfect for me. I suspect you won't regret the addition to your arsenal.

I bought the Beretta 96FS and I love it, so naturally I had to get the Crimson Trace 402M for it! Then I thought I ought to get a 92FS upper for it!! Needless to say,it is my favorite gun and now my EDC! You just can't go wrong with it! It is smooth enough for this old lady to shoot and enjoy , plus i am capable of concealing it fairly well!

I have the 92 and the 96...Both are great guns. I do the same thing ur wanting to do and thats take it to the woods while im hunting. Very accurate and to me a very hard to beat shooter that sometimes gets over looked by some. They have been around for a long time. I take the 96 most of the time only because i like its got a few more blemishes than the 92. Great Gun!!!!

I have a 92FS, and it is my favorite semi auto pistol bar none. I know some people do not like the long first trigger pull, but that is easily solved by cocking the hammer. I take mine to the range almost weekly. I have only had it about three months, but I have put about 600 rounds thru it and never had a single problem on a diet of Federal Wallyworld ammo. It is the pistol I choose to keep at the ready at home loaded with hollowpoints. I feel it to be perfectly safe with one in the chamber and the safety on.

That said I really hope you do not plan on shooting a deer with a Beretta. Some things are just cruel. If you really want a good hunting pistol get a .44 magnum. Put the deer down, take him home and eat him. Don't cause him unnecessary pain and stress. He don't deserve that.

no, I don't plan to shoot a deer with it.

However what ever pistol I carry might be useful for a final headshot. I remember walking up on a deer or two that was not shot perfect and needed a shot to the heat to finish. A pistol would have been nice instead of using the rifle.

I like this, but not sure if I realy want a 9mm, Like the gun, but again it is a 9.

Guest Lester Weevils
no, I don't plan to shoot a deer with it.

However what ever pistol I carry might be useful for a final headshot. I remember walking up on a deer or two that was not shot perfect and needed a shot to the heat to finish. A pistol would have been nice instead of using the rifle.

I like this, but not sure if I realy want a 9mm, Like the gun, but again it is a 9.

No problem-- Get a 96 (.40 cal in practically the same gun).

I like the DA/SA (double action on first shot and single action afterwards). At the range I rarely use it in double-action, but the DA/SA makes the pistol safe to carry with safety off at the penalty of a long trigger pull on first shot. I don't think I would like a 92 or 96 model D double action only as a range toy. However after the first shot the gun is cocked and ready to fire with not much trigger pull for subsequent shots. In an emergency if one had to fire a couple of rounds in defense and was real emotionally upset and excited, it would be unfortunate to forget to decock the gun afterwards. It doesn't take much pressure to fire once it is cocked. Maybe that would be an advantage of having a long trigger pull for each shot (the model D's), to reduce the odds of an after-action accidental discharge? Dunno. One would want to remember to decock the pistol on a DA/SA, regardless how flustered one may be.

Some of the 92 and 96 had Brigadier slides, which are heavier metal and have a replaceable front sight. I don't think those are currently manufactured. Dunno if the equivalent of a 'heavy' Brigadier slide is on the two current "updated" 92's, the 92/96 A1 and the 90-TWO.

This page shows the current-manufactured models--

Beretta Full-Size Handguns

Looks like the two current .40 choices are the 96 A1 and the 90-TWO. There are several "improvements" over the classic 92 and 96, though the replaceable front sight is about the only one that would sway me. I still think the classic design in Inox is the best-looking pistol, from a shallow hal perspective. :D

Last year Beretta (apparently related to an anniversary year) released a run of Inox 92FS made the same as the ones from a few years ago, with all silver hardware. I had got an Italian 92FS Inox years ago with all silver hardware, and then got a spare from Sportsmans Warehouse last year that was identical except for plastic guide-rod. There's probably nothing "wrong" with the inox models with black safety, slide release, mag release and takedown lever. Maybe some people like that better, but I like the all-silver looking models. Maybe there are some of last-year's "all silver" run still available to buy.

I like the DA/SA (double action on first shot and single action afterwards). At the range I rarely use it in double-action, but the DA/SA makes the pistol safe to carry with safety off at the penalty of a long trigger pull on first shot. I don't think I would like a 92 or 96 model D double , which are heavier metal and have a replaceable front sight.

That's the problem. If you don't train with the mode you carry, expecting a positive outcome in a life/death occasion is leaving too much to chance.

BTW, sights and "metal weight" are the same on the "D" models.

Guest Lester Weevils
That's the problem. If you don't train with the mode you carry, expecting a positive outcome in a life/death occasion is leaving too much to chance.

BTW, sights and "metal weight" are the same on the "D" models.

Thanks TN-popo. Agreed. I don't carry the 92fs, and if I did I would practice the DA first-pull more often. If I ever open-carried hiking the 92 would probably be the one I'd take.

The brigadier slides, only mentioned because some of the "accurizing" things that enthusiasts do to 92's, apparently require the heavier slide to have more metal to work with. The replaceable sights, only applicable to me because my old eyes would do better with a fiber-optic front sight.

Lately I carry a Kahr P9 because it is light, slim, and seems relatively safe against AD as long as I do my part. I can shoot it kinda-sorta accurate at short range. Not as accurate as the 92 in my hands. In the hands of a better shooter the P9 would probably be more accurate. Have also been using the P9 as home defense pistol.

As far as a home-defense gun, have a Glock 17 that probably would be overall better than most. It is pretty safe and pretty easy to shoot fairly accurate. No safety or decocker to worry about. I ought to shoot the G17 more. Hard to get excited about it, dunno why.