Gen 4 Glock 17

Guest vantoo

Guest vantoo

Is the Gen 4 Glock any better or worse than the Gen 3 Glock? I know it has the grip panels which doesn't matter to me and the recoil spring which does matter. Whatya think?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Gen 4 17 has been perfectly reliable but I can't say the dual spring reduces recoil by a huge amount or that the grip is that much better. The grip choice is just personal preference and I actually like the Gen 3 RTF grip slightly more than the Gen 4 grip. If I ever get the G 34 I've been thinking about,I really won't have a huge preference between the Gen 3 or 4.

Guest vantoo
My Gen 4 17 has been perfectly reliable but I can't say the dual spring reduces recoil by a huge amount or that the grip is that much better. The grip choice is just personal preference and I actually like the Gen 3 RTF grip slightly more than the Gen 4 grip. If I ever get the G 34 I've been thinking about,I really won't have a huge preference between the Gen 3 or 4.

Yeah, I just put the standard grip plate on so it would be the same as the gen 3 but I know the gen 3 recoil spring is reliable. Not sure about the reliability of the double recoil on the gen 4. Haven't heard any bad reports...

There are probably more sources but this little adapter works, I've done it. I don't know if it will hold up but it seems it would. Why did I do it. I like to be able to change recoil spring weight. GEN4 Recoil Assembly Adapter Ring - GlockStore.com

Gen4 Recoil Spring Adapter - Glock parts, accessories, and custom Glock refinishing at Rockyourglock Store

Guide Rod Adapter | Brass Stacker

Im a happy Gen 4 owner but even with big hands I like it without a backstrap on it. I also prefer a Gen 3RTF over all ot them.

but if you put the thin backstrap on, isn't it supposed to be the same size grip as the gen 3?

Guest Victor9er
but if you put the thin backstrap on, isn't it supposed to be the same size grip as the gen 3?

There is no "thin" backstrap. The thin size comes as-is, or "naked" as someone else put it. In other words the gun comes out of the box with the thin sized handle.

The additional backstraps are medium and large sized, and they just slip over the back of the "naked" handle... depending on which size you prefer. The medium size is supposed to give you about the same grip as the gen3.

I have two gen4's and haven't had any problems with either of them. I prefer the gen4 to the gen3, and originally I was using the handle as-is but I've since switched to the medium backstrap and it seems to have helped with my accuracy.

Don't forget also that the mag release is different on the gen4 than the gen3 as well.

There is no "thin" backstrap. The thin size comes as-is, or "naked" as someone else put it. In other words the gun comes out of the box with the thin sized handle.

The additional backstraps are medium and large sized, and they just slip over the back of the "naked" handle... depending on which size you prefer. The medium size is supposed to give you about the same grip as the gen3.

I have two gen4's and haven't had any problems with either of them. I prefer the gen4 to the gen3, and originally I was using the handle as-is but I've since switched to the medium backstrap and it seems to have helped with my accuracy.

Don't forget also that the mag release is different on the gen4 than the gen3 as well.

well, there is no backstrap on mine, and in the box was a thin one and a thick one. So I put the thin one on...;)