Sig P226 Elite Dark or TacOps

wcsc12

I'm trying to figure out which one I want to buy. I'm looking for some input though.

The TacOps and Elite Dark both come with SRT's, Beavertail frame, and nightsights.

The TacOps has a TruGlow Fiberoptic front sight and the normal Sig Nightsights on the rear. It also comes with 4 x 15 round magazines and Magpull Polymer grips.

The Elite Dark comes with Adjustable Combat Nightsights, 2 x 12 round magazines, Aluminum grips (which I love), and front cocking serrations. Now of these, the only thing that's really got my attention are the nightsights and grips.

So which one would you choose. Also, if I left out any feature, let me know.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

I assume you're talking about the .40 versions of these. I know the 9mm TacOps mags hold 20. The TacOps also has the front cocking serrations.

I'm about thiiiiiiis close to picking up the 9mm TacOps, so I obviously like it. I have to say that I really like the high visibility of the front sight, and I believe that it's actually TFO, so it will also glow at night. I have found that having lots of contrast between the front and rear sights really helps with the speedy acquisition of targets (my EXO has a red ring around the front night sight, and the rear is all black except at night where it has a very small tritium insert). The sights are not adjustable.

As for the grips, the TacOps does not have the standard ones. They are longer than the magwell (to assist in reloading), but they are also more contoured and fit the hand (at least my hand) better. They are a lot more along the lines of the E2 grips.

If you have the chance, I would try to at least hold both of them. If you can't hold a TacOps, try to hold a P226 E2. It's really going to come down to whether you want the aluminum grips and adjustable rear sights or whether you want high visibility front sights and extra/higher capacity mags.

I would choose the TacOps, but it would be exclusively a HD and range gun. The larger size, potential breakability of the extended grip bottoms, and the potential fragility of the fiber optic insert on the front sight would be outweighed by the extra capacity and quick target acquisition for me.

I assume you're talking about the .40 versions of these. I know the 9mm TacOps mags hold 20. The TacOps also has the front cocking serrations.

I'm about thiiiiiiis close to picking up the 9mm TacOps, so I obviously like it. I have to say that I really like the high visibility of the front sight, and I believe that it's actually TFO, so it will also glow at night. I have found that having lots of contrast between the front and rear sights really helps with the speedy acquisition of targets (my EXO has a red ring around the front night sight, and the rear is all black except at night where it has a very small tritium insert). The sights are not adjustable.

As for the grips, the TacOps does not have the standard ones. They are longer than the magwell (to assist in reloading), but they are also more contoured and fit the hand (at least my hand) better. They are a lot more along the lines of the E2 grips.

If you have the chance, I would try to at least hold both of them. If you can't hold a TacOps, try to hold a P226 E2. It's really going to come down to whether you want the aluminum grips and adjustable rear sights or whether you want high visibility front sights and extra/higher capacity mags.

I would choose the TacOps, but it would be exclusively a HD and range gun. The larger size, potential breakability of the extended grip bottoms, and the potential fragility of the fiber optic insert on the front sight would be outweighed by the extra capacity and quick target acquisition for me.

Sorry, yes they would be .40 for both guns.

I have held the P229 Elite Dark and I'll be holding the P226 Elite Dark probably tomorrow since the new gun I ordered for my dad hasn't arrived at the FFL yet today. I haven't found any place around here that has a TacOps in stock. I've tried the e2 grips and they felt okay but I was planning on replacing the stock grips on the TacOps with aluminum grips anyway :).

So, nothing but a range gun eh? Well, I guess the Elite Dark would win then because it would more than likely be my carry gun until I buy either an SP2022 or P229.

Edited by wcsc12

I am not sure about the .40 version, but I know the 9mm extended mags that sig uses have had problems. Sure sig can send you replacements, but they are going to be the same faulty mags. Most people ended up buying their own mecgar mags after the fact. So sure, you get 4 mags and they ARE extended mags - but if they are faulty what is the point?

Never held the magpul polymer grips and don't know much about those, so can't comment on that.

For rear site, I rather have the fixed site. Too many reports of the adjustable sites coming loose, and I honestly think they are ugly to boot. To combat the rear site drifting, they started locktiting the set screws (which are absolutely tiny). Sig provides you with an allen key to loosen these and adjust them, but the loctite held so strong on mine that I turned my allen key into a cork screw. I ended up having to send my sig back to exeter for them to adjust my rear site (and replace the front site with the correct height).

I am not a fan of the fiber optic sites, not that I don't like shooting with them, but I just have seen so many that break. Having one would make me uneasy. Of the 2, I would go with the elite dark. Aluminum grips, 2 good quality mags, a front site that won't break and you can replace the rear site if you want down the road.

Just my .02

I am not sure about the .40 version, but I know the 9mm extended mags that sig uses have had problems. Sure sig can send you replacements, but they are going to be the same faulty mags. Most people ended up buying their own mecgar mags after the fact. So sure, you get 4 mags and they ARE extended mags - but if they are faulty what is the point?

Never held the magpul polymer grips and don't know much about those, so can't comment on that.

For rear site, I rather have the fixed site. Too many reports of the adjustable sites coming loose, and I honestly think they are ugly to boot. To combat the rear site drifting, they started locktiting the set screws (which are absolutely tiny). Sig provides you with an allen key to loosen these and adjust them, but the loctite held so strong on mine that I turned my allen key into a cork screw. I ended up having to send my sig back to exeter for them to adjust my rear site (and replace the front site with the correct height).

I am not a fan of the fiber optic sites, not that I don't like shooting with them, but I just have seen so many that break. Having one would make me uneasy. Of the 2, I would go with the elite dark. Aluminum grips, 2 good quality mags, a front site that won't break and you can replace the rear site if you want down the road.

Just my .02

Thx bro :) I'll keep that in mind. Sounds like I may just go the Elite Dark route...I'd hate if that fiberoptic sight came out in my holster.

Thx bro :) I'll keep that in mind. Sounds like I may just go the Elite Dark route...I'd hate if that fiberoptic sight came out in my holster.

I've never seen the tube come out on a fiber optic, but just the tube outright cracking or getting smashed.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

If you go for the Elite Dark, I would second the thought about replacing the rear sight. Especially if you think you want to carry it. In addition to the potential for it to get knocked about or otherwise move on you, it's also not nearly as usable as a fixed rear for emergency one-handed slide racking on a solid object.

Guest m14man

Just my .02

the high cap mags in the tac ops 9mm (at least my black water edition) are mecgar mags, and its not hard to change a front sight out if you dont like the fiber optic and it does glow at night to.

Nice gun...I just enjoy shooting my 9mm AR more....definitely not a carry size unless your going shoulder holster...would have been better had it come with a threaded barrel :-)

When I first got it I had to send it right back to Sig because the night sights were dead lol....they had it back to me in 5 days.

Nice gun...I just enjoy shooting my 9mm AR more....definitely not a carry size unless your going shoulder holster...would have been better had it come with a threaded barrel :-)

When I first got it I had to send it right back to Sig because the night sights were dead lol....they had it back to me in 5 days.

Nice. Too bad it's 9mm though. I'm looking for a .40 variant. I dunno though. I'll just have to find a shop around here that has one so I can put my hands on it and see that fiber optic sight for myself. I'll definitely be using this one as a carry gun so it looks like Elite Dark here I come...will miss the extra 2 mags though :D

• 1 month later...
Guest twpayne75

Of the two I would get the Datk Elite. If I wanted a Tacops I would look for the discontinued Blackwater Tactical. Atleast they had the well made Mecgar magazines.