Buthering deer at home

tercel89

I have always butchered my own deer . I shoot them , skin them and butcher them all on my own . I am self taught as my father was a but-hole and wouldnt teach my brother and me anything . I have always cut off and kept almost every and I mean every part of the deer to eat . even the front leg meat and meat that most people throw away all the time . I dont waste it at all . I eat it all . I dont believe in taking it to a place to process it , I do it all . SO ......I was wondering if any of you guys do this and if you do , I would like to know a way to get the "proper" cuts out of the deer like how to get the rib meat out or how to "properly" cut the different segments and cuts out . I have did it my own way so long that I would like to see a different way . Kinda like the drawings you see of cows in a butcher store where there is a cow with drawing on where the sirloin is and the rump roast and the flank steak and such .

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always process my own deer. I have used processors before but I enjoy doing it myself. If you pm me your email I will send you a great video on processing. You can also find processing videos on youtube.

Cool , thanks and I got a pm headed your way !

I have helped my grandfather butcher deer before, but I have always taken my own deer to a processor. I want to do it myself starting this year. I don't remember everything my grandfather did, but I remember enough to get some steaks and backstraps. I need to watch a video myself

Guest Spurhunter

The one deer I took to get processed came back as half of what I thought it would, and it had an odd taste. I have probably done at least 75 deer myself, maybe more. I trim meat VERY lean, and I try to put up at least 75 -100 lbs of ground each year. Thats at least 5 deer worth of ground. It takes time to do it right, but my whole family help me out when its time to grind and seal the ground.

The one deer I took to get processed came back as half of what I thought it would, and it had an odd taste. I have probably done at least 75 deer myself, maybe more. I trim meat VERY lean, and I try to put up at least 75 -100 lbs of ground each year. Thats at least 5 deer worth of ground. It takes time to do it right, but my whole family help me out when its time to grind and seal the ground.

I use the fat and meat of the deer . If the meat that you take to a processor tastes odd ,then he probably had it out to long . I cut mine up ASAP and get it in the fridge or freezer . Most people that say that deer meat has a "wang" is because the meat has been at room temperature too long . If it is about 45 degrees or lower I hang mine for a day gutted on a rope . If it is above that degrees I butcher it right away .

I use the fat and meat of the deer . If the meat that you take to a processor tastes odd ,then he probably had it out to long . I cut mine up ASAP and get it in the fridge or freezer . Most people that say that deer meat has a "wang" is because the meat has been at room temperature too long . If it is about 45 degrees or lower I hang mine for a day gutted on a rope . If it is above that degrees I butcher it right away .

What do you do with the fat? It has the consistancy of candle wax. You surely can't cook with it?

• 2 weeks later...

I keep reading that you may not be getting your deer back when you take to a processor! I personally don't want a deer that I don't know how long it's laid in the woods. I processed my own last year and hope to do the same this year. I don't have a grinder, so really don't get to use all the bits and pieces.

I have always butchered my own deer . I shoot them , skin them and butcher them all on my own . I am self taught as my father was a but-hole and wouldnt teach my brother and me anything .

Wow!, You too? I have no one to thank for what little I have learned but me.

I have always cut off and kept almost every and I mean every part of the deer to eat . even the front leg meat and meat that most people throw away all the time . I dont waste it at all . I eat it all . I dont believe in taking it to a place to process it , I do it all . SO ......I was wondering if any of you guys do this and if you do , I would like to know a way to get the "proper" cuts out of the deer like how to get the rib meat out or how to "properly" cut the different segments and cuts out . I have did it my own way so long that I would like to see a different way . Kinda like the drawings you see of cows in a butcher store where there is a cow with drawing on where the sirloin is and the rump roast and the flank steak and such .

I admit I don't eat all the meat on a deer, but I guarantee NONE of it gets wasted. I cut the ribs and all the funky stuff no one eats, toss it in the crock pot with a cup or so of water and the next day.....I have the happiest pit bull east of the mississippi.

I do my own. I also kill a couple or so deer each year for friends but they go to the processor. I figure 8 hours of labor per deer by the time I skin, quarter, debone, and grind. I am VERY picky about how the meat is handled and separating the sinew and silver skin from the meat, it is very labor intensive but I've had several people tell me "this is really good BEEF!" yeah I don't always tell my guests what they are eating. It feels like I throw away a lot of stuff when I am separating out all the junk but that's just the way it is, besides something (racoons maybe a coyote) will eat it when I throw it out so it's not going to waste.

I've been wanting to do my own. John Sloan lives in my neighborhood and a few of us got together and brought him a deer so he could show us in person. Well, I had car trouble and got to his house right as he was shrink wrapping the meat and basically missed it. :(

I field dress my deer right. I don't want some yahoo's deer that rode around in the truck all day while it's bow season and 75 deg outside. Or he punctured the bladder. My son is a Weblo 1 Scout and one of the kid's older brother comes with him and his Dad. I think the boy has it bad for one of the other kid's older sister that comes also. All the Dads can see it. LOL! Anyway, this kid has a part time job at one of the meat places. He told me if you got your actual deer back it'd be a miracle, you're getting the weight.

Brad

What do you do with the fat? It has the consistancy of candle wax. You surely can't cook with it?

Oddly enough, I've always rendered mine into candle wax or used it as a natural lube for my muzzle loaders. Personally, I prefer to mix in hog fat or lard with my ground venison - seems to age a little better than using beef fat.