School Me on AR15 Lower Parts Kits

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

So I've gotten a few suggestions on which Lower Parts Kits to put in my AR15 Build ---> http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/gunsmithing-troubleshooting/41527-my-custom-ar15-build-plan.html

Magiccarpetrides suggested:

Spike's Enhanced Parts Kit - $149.95 - Lower Kit - Spike's Enhanced Parts Kit [sLPK301] - $149.95 : Spikes Tactical

willis68 suggested:

Rock River Arms 2 Stage Parts Kit AR0120NME - $200 - Rock River Arms: RRA Lower Receiver Parts Kits

Also was looking at:

CMMG 2 Stage Trigger Lower Parts Kit - $153.95 - Lower Parts Kit with CMMG 2 Stage Trigger, www.cmmginc.comCMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon

The things I really like about the RRA and Spikes kits are that they have ambi safety and ergo grip. Also the Spikes Kit has "enhanced" trigger guard. Obviously the CMMG kit has neither as far as I can tell, so I would have to upgrade that kit to suit where I wanna take this build.

So what do you guys think?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two stage triggers tend to have a bit more take up than most single stage triggers. On that note single stage triggers tend to be a bit heavier than two stage triggers.

It is all about preference. I personally prefer a trigger with no take up to one that has some. It is because I know how to work on and tweak a single stage to feel great.

The Spike's Kit:

Unless you are a left the ambi safety is not going ot be used by you. The Ergo grip is a must in my opinion but I would choose a Hogue above all others. The KNS pins in the Spike's kit it not needed, if the lower is put together correctly the pins will not walk out and you will not shoot it enough in a lifetime to damage the lower. The BN coating is good stuff that helps parts last but are you really going to shoot this enough to wear out the trigger and hammer? There is a lot of extra stuff in this kit that is really not needed for most shooters.

The RRA kit:

As I said before the two stage triggers tend to be a bit longer but are definitely lighter. The Hogue would be my choice over the Ergo grip. Once you feel the Hogue you will understand why.

The CMMG kit:

It looks like the CMMG is about like the RRA kit but about $30-$50 cheaper once you add the Hogue grip. Most two stages ARE created equal or at least the under $150 ones are which both the RRA and CMMG are. You are not getting more by going with the RRA kit.

I would get the two stage CMMG kit because it has everything you need and nothing you don't. Purchase the Hogue grip seperately. The RRA doesn't offer anything more than CMMG for the extra cost. If you decide you want the ambi selector then buy it seperately, same goes for the trigger guard.

Here is the Hogue grip for $20 shipped:

Hogue AR-15/M-16 Black Rubber Grip (Free Shipping) [15000] - $19.95 : Gunkings.com, 10-22 and AR15 Parts and Accessories

Dolomite

I purchased a Spike's Tactical Enhanced Lower Parts Kit for a carbine build. Although I like it, I'm not sure I would go with another one in the future because I don't think the difference justifies the cost difference in my opinion. I think if I were going to spend the extra bucks on a LPK, I would just spend a bit more and get a nice Timney trigger or something like that. The trigger that comes with the kit looks cool with the nickle boron finish, but the feel isn't really that much better than other standard triggers. The enhanced trigger guard really isn't that big of a deal to me because I don't expect to need to fire the rifle while wearing heavy gloves, but the spider logo on it is kind of cool. The ambi selector switch is kind of nice, but again, not that big of a deal for me since the likelihood of actually needing it is pretty small. The kit also has anti-creep pins, but I don't recall ever hearing of anyone who ever lost a pin under normal use (or rough use for that matter). The Ergo grip is nice. Overall, I just don't see the cost benefit for my needs, but the quality does appear to be decent. If you need or want all of these features, it's definitely cheaper to go this route than to get them separately. However, in the future, I think I will be more likely to just get a standard lower parts kit, perhaps get a better two-stage trigger, pick out a grip I like, and go with that.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

I just built on a Spikes lower last month using a YHM lower kit. Everything fit ok, but the receiver pins were pretty tight even after soaking them in clp overnight before install. I have to use a armorer's rubber mallet to tap it out. If I had to do it over again I would use the Spikes lower kit just to ensure the parts properly fit. BTW, I bought the lower local from Tennessee Gun Country for only $105. Pretty good deal on a quality lower.

For a bare bones kit you can't beat DPMS. It is one of the things they do really, really well. I have used seveal different kits over the years and always come back to DPMS for a stock style kit.

As far as longevity goes I had one DPMS kit that had over 10K cycles on it without any major problems. I think I did replace the disconnector after the hook broke off but that is the only time I have seen it with the DPMS kits. The nose of the trigger was fine as well even though it had been honed. As part of doing the triggers I do not touch the hammers and concentrate on the the trigger. I use the trigger kits I sell to take of the slack as well.

The tight fit of the Spikes lowers probably has to do with the annodizing or coating more so than anything out of spec. They are probably in spec when raw but when they are finished they tighten up a bit. Some brands of lowers are not annodized and just coated. In most cases those that are just coated do not have the same surface hardness annodizing can give. Not sure if the Spikes products fall into the coated or annodized category though.

Dolomite

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

After much thought, I'm gonna stick with my original plan and pick up a Daniel Defense Part Lower Receiver Parts Kit: Daniel Defense Part Lower Receiver Parts Kit Black AR-15 DD-21007 - ManVenture Outpost, LLC - $74.05

I'm also gonna pick up a Magpul Industries Moe Grip Grip Black as an upgrade from the standard grip: Magpul Industries Moe Grip Grip Black AR Rifles MAG415-BLK - ManVenture Outpost, LLC - $14.19

So a grand total including shipping would be $101.15. I honestly don't think it's worth the money to pick up a 2 stage trigger. I've put plenty of lead down range with an M16/M4 when I was in the army to know how the basic trigger pull feels. My main concern is that every time I pull the trigger, the rifle go's BANG! Thanks for your input guys, I just feel that my money will be better spent on other vital parts of this build.

I went with the daniel defense lpk + magpul miad grip as well. From the research I did, I found more people liked the daniel defense trigger than most other lpk triggers. Also a cool thing is it comes with the magpul trigger guard, although I replaced it with the aluminum one.

I only have one AR but I can say I am very satisfied with my choice in a DD LPK and plan to use them on future builds.

I went with the daniel defense lpk + magpul miad grip as well. From the research I did, I found more people liked the daniel defense trigger than most other lpk triggers. Also a cool thing is it comes with the magpul trigger guard, although I replaced it with the aluminum one.

I only have one AR but I can say I am very satisfied with my choice in a DD LPK and plan to use them on future builds.

I'll buy the plastic Magpul trigger guard from you. I can meet you locally or you can drop it in the mail.

I'll give you $7 shipped or $5 if we meet up.

Dolomite

The tight fit of the Spikes lowers probably has to do with the annodizing or coating more so than anything out of spec. They are probably in spec when raw but when they are finished they tighten up a bit. Some brands of lowers are not annodized and just coated. In most cases those that are just coated do not have the same surface hardness annodizing can give. Not sure if the Spikes products fall into the coated or annodized category though.

Dolomite

Right on, that's probably what it is. It's been a few years since I've built an AR and I remember everything being so smooth on the last couple of RRAs I've built on.