Meaning of "properly posted"?

Guest WestonGray

Guest WestonGray

I see a lot of mention "properly posted" around here. What does that entail? I know a gunbuster sign is sufficient, but is there any rule about specific language if they post text instead? Does the sign have to be a certain size or in a particular location? I was in Cleveland, TN a few weeks ago OCing at the mall and the door I came in at the JC Penny anchor store had no signage. Later on when in the interior of the mall I was approached by two mall cops. They were polite and informed me that carry was not allowed, I apologized and mentioned that I did not see a sign and they said it was posted on the big rules sheet when you come in. There was no such sign at the JC Penny entrance, but the doors I exited through had the list. It was posted between two sets of doors on the side wall (where you walk in one set of doors, then another about 6 or 8 feet later) and it was in little tiny print about halfway down the list of "rules". I am always diligent about looking for postings, but sometimes there are so many stickers on doors (gas stations for instance) that I second guess myself.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It is T.C.A. 39-17-1359

You can look it up here LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Tennessee Code Research Tool

However one thing to note....all a sign posted per 39-17-1359 does is make it a criminal offense to carry past it. Any property owner anywhere in the state can ask you to leave because you are armed, regardless of whether it posted properly, inproperly or not at all. If you don't leave after being asked, you could be charged with trespassing. (http://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2007/op/op148.pdf see questions 5 & 6)

Guest WestonGray

Yeah, I understood about the doesn't have to be posted/than can ask you to leave/trespassing thing. Thanks for the direction on the code.