Range Report: Remington R1

ls3_kid

I finally had the chance to take my new 1911 to the range on Friday with the old man. I went through the first two stock mags fine. Then to the third mag my friend gave and shot 6 rounds and the 7th jammed. I assume it was because of a weak spring. Besides that the only other problems I experienced were two FTF. I really love this gun I had planned on shooting 100 rounds but I shot 200. It is very accurate, even with me operating it :D . I was hitting those "Shoot-N-C" targets and hitting all shots on the 8" target at 15 yards. I am a fairly new shooter so there was no real grouping. Basically I was all over the target. My dad on the other hand was grouping a little low but then compensated after a few magazines. His spread was 4-5" a little low of the center.

The trigger pull is nice but there is a tiny and I mean the smallest amount of "play" in the trigger.

Can't wait to get some more seat time!

Also any suggestions on what to do about the trigger? Is it fixable by myself or should I take it to a gunsmith? If it were a better option to take it to a gun smith who should I take it to locally? I know of Coal Creek and Predator Customs, any experience with them?

photo-6-1.jpg

Sorry no target shots, I wasn't thinking about keeping them after the range.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purchase a couple of Wilson or Shooting Star magazines for your pistol along with a case of ammunition and shoot it. Most of your desires for improvement will resolve themselves as your pistol smooth’s out from usage and your experience level increases. Starts using the coin or empty shell casing on the front sight trick to develop your trigger pull. Work on strengthening your wrists and forearms and dry fire your pistol as often as you can. Aside from this just ensure that the pistol is properly cleaned and lubricated.

Starts using the coin or empty shell casing on the front sight trick to develop your trigger pull. Work on strengthening your wrists and forearms and dry fire your pistol as often as you can.

I am not familiar with this trick... Also I have heard it is not "good" to dry fire a pistol? Has this opinion generally changed?

Nothing, yet. Go shoot it more.

I think I can handle that!

I am not familiar with this trick... Also I have heard it is not "good" to dry fire a pistol? Has this opinion generally changed?

I think I can handle that!

I have no issue dry firing my 1911s. Just go buy a pack of snapcaps for 10 bucks and then you won't have to worry about it.

Guest bkelm18

It's fine to dry fire a pistol. If it worries you, get some dummy rounds. The only issue comes if the gun has a magazine disconnect safety and you dry fire it without the magazine inserted. On some guns that could potentially ruin the firing pin.

Don't forget to lube your 1911.

Here is a link to Dave Anderson's tips on how to lubricate a 1911. Some folks think he uses too much grease, but with a new firearm its a good way to help with the break-in.

Don't get too hung up on the brand of lube. Most all of the major brands are good. I'm a Tetra Grease & Breakfree CLP user. JMHO & YMMV. :D

Congrats on your new 1911.

Dry firing with a coin or shell case balanced on the top of your front sight will enable you to develop a smooth, even trigger pull. Your goal is to be able to aip the unloaded pistol at a fixed object in a safe location and not have the coin/case fall off of the front sight when the hammer drops. I wouldn't dry fire a .22 LR w/o an empty case or snap cap in it but I don't have that same concern with centerfire pistols.

Dry firing with a coin or shell case balanced on the top of your front sight will enable you to develop a smooth, even trigger pull. Your goal is to be able to aip the unloaded pistol at a fixed object in a safe location and not have the coin/case fall off of the front sight when the hammer drops. I wouldn't dry fire a .22 LR w/o an empty case or snap cap in it but I don't have that same concern with centerfire pistols.

Oh okay cool. I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day after I get some snap caps. Thanks for the tip.

Dry practice is fine for all modern firearms, except rimfires. Worst case something breaks, doubtful, but it can be fixed. I'm not a believer in snap caps. Did hear of some incidents where snap caps were in the gun, owner thought it loaded with live rounds in a time of need......not a good result. I'm sure the reverse could happen as well. If dry practice, I believe NOTHING should be in the chamber as a matter of habit. As far as your R1, IMO a great shooter. I've put several thousand rounds through mine. It's a keeper.

If you have reloading gear you can make a dummy round easily, leave off powder and primer, put something in the primer hole like glue or caulk, repair it now and then. Dry firing is mostly an issue for rimfires where the firing pin can hit the edge of the chamber, which is mostly older model guns but still best avoided for your .22s. Most centerfires can handle a lot of it before any damage, if damage ever does happen, it may not. Slop in the trigger is exponentially expensive.... the more slop you have, the cheaper it is to fix, and if you want it dead on tight, it can cost hundreds of dollars to cure. I would not mess with it until the gun is well broken in, then you can either try to DIY or pay a 1911 pistolsmith to do it, or a regular gunsmith may be able but those who specialize in this gun design are usually a better choice. .45 ACP is sort of pricy and you are not ready (sorry, but you are not). Investing in a reloading station would serve you far, far better than investing in a trigger job at this point in time, IMHO. Shoot more, practice a lot, far more useful than a perfect trigger at your skill level.

If you have reloading gear you can make a dummy round easily, leave off powder and primer, put something in the primer hole like glue or caulk, repair it now and then. Dry firing is mostly an issue for rimfires where the firing pin can hit the edge of the chamber, which is mostly older model guns but still best avoided for your .22s. Most centerfires can handle a lot of it before any damage, if damage ever does happen, it may not. Slop in the trigger is exponentially expensive.... the more slop you have, the cheaper it is to fix, and if you want it dead on tight, it can cost hundreds of dollars to cure. I would not mess with it until the gun is well broken in, then you can either try to DIY or pay a 1911 pistolsmith to do it, or a regular gunsmith may be able but those who specialize in this gun design are usually a better choice. .45 ACP is sort of pricy and you are not ready (sorry, but you are not). Investing in a reloading station would serve you far, far better than investing in a trigger job at this point in time, IMHO. Shoot more, practice a lot, far more useful than a perfect trigger at your skill level.

Yeah I agree I do need to get better at shooting, so no offense taken. I am just looking to the future because I am excited and I love modding stuff.

Another cheap fix for the mags is to order some wolff mag springs and replace the factory with those....has worked like a charm on my cz52

I actually just picked up some Wilson Combat mags. I should be testing those out on Wednesday.

Edited by ls3_kid
  • 3 weeks later...

NavyCDRs1911.jpg[/img]

Hello gang. New to this great forum. Posted this information several months ago on the 1911.org form. Shot this R1 again last Sunday and it is really starting to smooth out. Have never had a malfunction with any mag or any ammo.

Trooper Joe

US Navy-1911 reproduction

Just bought a Remington 1911 R1. This is going to turn out to be my Navy 1911 (carried a 1911 in the 60's on shore patrol duty).

This new Remington shoots any ammo (4 different kinds of hp defense ammo as well as ball ammo).

So, after proving itself, I replaced the stock Remington grips with my US Navy grips and paired it up with my Naval Commanders uniform items.

The Commanders in my Michigan Naval Commanders group are all going to want one of these Remingtons.

PS: I am not much of a pistol shooter, but a number of my first 50 rounds were in one ragged hole.

Thanks to Remington for a great 1911 pistol.

Trooper Joe

Trooper Joe,

What is the " Michigan Naval Commanders group?"

Thanks for the reply. The insignia on the shoulder boards is for the Michigan Naval Commanders (The Commanders Club of Michigan). The uniforms are just like regular Navy and were originally approved by Admiral Frank Harness-Retired.

The commission is under state law and signed by the Governor and the TAG (Adjutant General).

It is a great group of military men, most of them having had prior service in the Navy. However, you may see some ribbons on the uniforms from Army, Navy, USMC, or Air Force, since that is were the member earned them. These are approved by the TAG for wearing during official military functions (ie., visiting military VIP, etc.).

This Remington 1911 is very similar to the one I carried in the 60s while serving on shore patrol duty.

Trooper Joe

.... The insignia on the shoulder boards is for the Michigan Naval Commanders (The Commanders Club of Michigan).... The commission is under state law and signed by the Governor and the TAG (Adjutant General).....

Ahhhhh - - - OK, I understand now. Its a state honorary organization and everybody is a Commander.

In the pic I recognized the head gear, but the boards didn't have the star that Regular Navy Officers Of The Line have. I was all confused trying to figure out what in the heck kind of military outfit the Navy had up in Michigan that was stock full of Commanders all wanting 1911s.

Last Navy O5 that I ran with was carrying (and using) a SIG. Went well with his Trident. ;)

Now that I've shot more rounds through it, the gun works flawlessly. Especially with the Chip McCormick and Wilson mags. I'm getting some VZ grips, mainly for looks and to keep the stock grips in nice condition. Then an ambidextrous safety due to being heavily left hand dominate. Eventually (around 1k rounds) I'd like to get a new hammer/trigger/beavertail.