Irritating day at the range..

jcj

Finally got to the range today. I was quite excited since I hadn't been in a while. The weather was gorgeous! That's about the highlight of my day.

It went something like this:

Decided to try out my new and now cerakoted RIA Compact 1911. First shot--failed to return to battery by about 1/4". Second shot, same result. Ok, maybe it needs breaking in? 50 rounds later I've yet to get more than 2 rounds off without a failure (same as the first.one). Could be ammo related. All I had with me was USA Ammo 45.

Alright. Let's move on to my good ol' reliable CZ82. It never fails! After the third shot I started getting failures to eject. Didn't even bother troubleshooting, I was irritated and decided I'd try my new Glock 36.

Well... G36 locks the slide back after every single round. I think I isolated that to a problem with the extended slide stop lever. No punches with me to fix it. Ok, next...

Yugo M57 Tokarev. This thing has given me problems before, but none in 200 rounds since a trip to the gunsmith. Second mag in and the trigger failed to reset...the same issue I had fixed previously.

Realizing today wasn't my day for handguns, I shot 90 rounds through my Spikes Tactical AR then packed up and headed home.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to make fun of the 1911 malfunctioning but since the Glock did also....I've got nothing.

If you just installed the slide stop lever you probably did it incorrectly. The same thing happened to me. I thought I installed it correctly but I did not. Take the slide stop lever out and put it back in. I found a youtube video on it and IIRC the angle has to be just right.

The 1911 probably malfunctioned because it was just cerakoted and the smith didnt test fit the parts together before you got it back...get ready to do a bit of sanding and hand cycling(hopefully thats all you will need to do) to get it back close to its factory tolerances. I had a Sig P245 that never failed me and then I got it coated and figured out the problem.

As far as the other ones.....do you clean your guns regularly ;-D

Fwiw I went to the range today with my Sig POW/MIA 1911 and Spikes 9mm AR....Sig ran great...9mm AR...well...forgot the ammo 40mins away at home lol.

Guest gw2and4

Sorry about the frustrating day at the range.

On the Glock slide stop lever--make sure the locking block pin and trigger pin are installed before installing the slide stop lever. Verify the angle of the spring and that it rides under (and thus pushing up against) the locking block pin. Then seat the trigger pin.

To function check, make sure there is spring tension holding the slide stop lever down tight against the frame and the only reason it would come up is if the magazine follower pushes it up. It should snap back down when lifted.

This is the most likely fix for the issue you described with the Glock.

Hope you have a better trip next time!

Sent from my iPhone 4

I was going to make fun of the 1911 malfunctioning but since the Glock did also....I've got nothing.

If you just installed the slide stop lever you probably did it incorrectly. The same thing happened to me. I thought I installed it correctly but I did not. Take the slide stop lever out and put it back in. I found a youtube video on it and IIRC the angle has to be just right.

I think so. I reinstalled it and it snaps back toward the frame when lifted/released much more than it did. Must not have had the spring in there just right. Doh!

The 1911 probably malfunctioned because it was just cerakoted and the smith didnt test fit the parts together before you got it back...get ready to do a bit of sanding and hand cycling(hopefully thats all you will need to do) to get it back close to its factory tolerances. I had a Sig P245 that never failed me and then I got it coated and figured out the problem.

As far as the other ones.....do you clean your guns regularly ;-D

Fwiw I went to the range today with my Sig POW/MIA 1911 and Spikes 9mm AR....Sig ran great...9mm AR...well...forgot the ammo 40mins away at home lol.

That SIG POW/MIA of yours is really nice.

Regular cleaning is a ritual. I clean every gun shot as soon as I get back from the range and my carry gun gets a weekly cleaning.

The 1911 is a bit of a puzzle. It doesn't seem to stick/hang in that spot when hand cycling. I slowly hand cycled several rounds through when I got home and it never failed to return to battery.

Also couldn't get the Tokarev trigger to malfunction again after I got it home to inspect it.

Maybe it was just not my day to be shooting.

I'm glad I didn't shoot my EDC gun. It has never failed in over 1,000 rounds and I have a feeling today would have been the day.

+1. I'd also check the feed ramp. I've seen this with refurbished 1911's that require some polishing on the feed ramp or the round won't chamber all the way... especially the first 2 or 3 because of the magazine tension.

Guest vantoo

I guess I would have had a stroke. I get upset with just one firearm malfunctioning on me....sorry for the bad day, but look at the bright side, next time you go, it has to get better....

Much better today. Glock 36 ran 100% after I correctly installed the slide stop.

RIA 1911 ran 100% as well. Apparently I just gave up on it too quickly last week. It ran fine with a variety of ammo today.

CZ82 problems were ammo related. Ran some decent Mak ammo through it today. No problems.

The Yugo M57...still a POS. Sending that one off to the gunsmith again. It has always been a troublemaker.