Help me pick 1911 Grips

jcj

I got this back from a Cerakote refinish last week. Rock Island Armory Compact (Officer size) in black & titanium Cerakote. As is probably quite obvious, the grips are still the factory RIA grips. I admit to being indecisive when it comes to picking out grips and accessories. Help me out here, folks. I'd like some recommendations on what you think would look good on this gun. Price is a consideration, but anything under $100 is what I'm generally looking at.

The holster used as a prop here is a *very* nice OWB model made for me by TGO'er gregintenn.

2011-10-01 16.33.03.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Esmerelda grips. Most are a little higher than what you want to spend, but usually her website will have some in the 99 range. Also SargesGrips has some nice styles. Personally, I'd think about some black, black and white, and gray, or combinations of these colors in micarta or another manmade material rather than wood on this. JMO

In fact I have a set on my desk I bought at a gun show to put on one of my compacts. They are black and silver gray with a sworl pattern. They look great on my ss colt and pretty good on my blue Kimber. I paid about 45 for these at a show from one of the guys selling grips.

Edited by hipower
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest J.D. Skull

I saw some on Ebay that looked like rattlesnake skin. I just bought some checkered Cocobola for my ATI 92C from CDNN FOR $29.99. They look a lot better than plastic. If I ever buy a camera and learn how to post .......Yea as if.

I have some of Sarge's grips and they are great. However with your crerakote colors I think VZs would look good. The only thing I don't like about my VZs are they can rub my oblique area some, even with an undershirt on.

I would look at Wilson combat starburst, both in G10 and wood, i think they would look good on that pistol.

The only thing about Sarge's grips is that they lack texture. If you are going for looks alone, they are sweet.

I thought at first this would be a problem. But I don't feel any loss of control with smooth grips. I do have a checkered frontstrap though. Ben though they are smooth finish they have a tackiness that's sufficient enough for my EDC. YMMV

I thought at first this would be a problem. But I don't feel any loss of control with smooth grips. I do have a checkered frontstrap though. Ben though they are smooth finish they have a tackiness that's sufficient enough for my EDC. YMMV

I could not use to them for EDC, even with my Valor checkering. They sure look good for the barbque though.

Frankly I like the Phillipine Mahogany grips that come on the Rocs.

It's a beautiful fine grain, although I think they may use some other woods as well.

I replaced them with Hogues on the fullsize I'm modding to shoot in IDPA, but kept them on my Midsize., added some Pearce finger grooves though.

They grip well, don't slip even when wet and are a finer wood than most of what you find on e-bay.

013.jpg