not sure anymore

Guest xtncowboyx

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lostpass

I would guess so. If you don't have any ammo with it. I wouldn't do it cause you might get pulled over. Sure, when I was a kid you could park with a gun in a gun rack on school grounds but those days are, apparently, over.

Unloaded should be fine. But, make sure the ammo is locked up and "away" from the passengers and rifle.

And what Pain103 said, do not advertise the rifle, or shotgun, for someone to steal, when the truck is parked...

If you have a carry permit I know they passed that law here in TN where you can have a rifle or shotgun in your trunk as long as there isnt one in the chamber...im not sure this is a whole lot different....PM fallguy hes the resident rules/regs guru or "Subject Matter Expert" ;-D

It is allowed in the passenger compartment. There is no requirement for it to be in the trunk, only that a round not be in the chamber unless the permit holder feels threatened.

Handgun Carry Permit T.C.A. Codes

Public Chapter 431 – Loaded Rifles and Shotguns in Vehicles – This act allows a person with a handgun carry permit to possess a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in a privately owned vehicle. The act provides that the weapon cannot have ammunition in the chamber except in the case that an individual permit holder feels physically threatened.

Effective Date: June 12, 2009

Here is the PDF of the signed law:

http://www.state.tn.us/sos/acts/106/pub/pc0431.pdf

Dolomite

Be smart about it.... park the truck with a gun in it and it may not be there when you get back. In the rack, that is a certainty. Move it behind the seat, it remains likely enough --- the "curious" will see the rack so they know you have a gun, maybe its in there behind the seat! When actually on the road, it would be a great way to carry the gun, protecting it and keeping it out of the way.

There are many different gun racks out there these days "rifle" specific. Many people build their own as well with basic knowledge. Some of my uncles hunnting buddies have gun racks specific to their guns they use. There are metal brackets made to "seal" in the firearm as well as keep it snug and secure, key pad activated and solid. Someone would have to have a grinder to steal a rifle or shotgun. However, a theif is a theif and they will get it if they want it. Still tons of trouble to go through for one weapon.....especially if your out in the deep woods and the owner just happens to come back after a BAD day of hunting.....one could get shot by being accidently mistaken for a wild animal.

Guest xtncowboyx

Thanks for the input and the advice everybody. I dont have a carry permit for a handgun. so is it still legal for me to carry the rifle in my truck in a gun rack unloaded?

Thanks for the input and the advice everybody. I dont have a carry permit for a handgun. so is it still legal for me to carry the rifle in my truck in a gun rack unloaded?

Here is what the law says about it if you do not have a permit.

(2) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person who is not authorized to possess a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber or cylinder, and no clip or magazine containing ammunition is inserted in the rifle or shotgun or is in close proximity to both the weapon and any person.

The definition of “close proximity to both the weapon and any person†is initially up to the Officer, then the DA, then the Judge or jury.

Get your permit and you can carry the rifle loaded, as long as a round is not chambered.