Straight Razor.

Guest lostpass
Oh, I've had several in barbershops back in the day. But having a pro versus moi doing it is a big diff! :D

- OS

I'll try to fix my car, I'll try to fix my computer. But there is no way I am trying to give myself a shave with a straight razor. Shaving isn't that important to me.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I shave with an old safety razor that uses the double-edged blades. The blades are getting a little harder to find (although Walmart usually has them.) I also use a shaving mug with shaving soap and brush. I find that gives me a better shave with fewer nicks than shaving with any of the 35 blade super-mega cartridge shavers and canned shaving cream, shaving gel, etc. Bonus - it is cheaper, too. Much cheaper.

I cut myself pretty frequently back in the old safety razor days. IIRC at least one small nick near daily.

Have lately used Schick Quattro Titanium which may be more expensive but cuts real easy and close and is almost impossible to get nicked. I didn't use the gel til a few years ago but IMO gel beats heck out of earlier shaving cream or soap mugs. Dramatically less razor pull. Different strokes.

The cheap bic and other cheap disposable razors are no good for me. They don't seem sharp enough for the job. Its like trying to scrape off the whiskers or maybe pull them out by the roots.

Maybe the reason the Schick Quattro is so "nick proof" is there appear to be several small strands of monofilament at right angles to the blade. Maybe that keeps the blades from biting into skin if you accidentally drag the razor the wrong direction.

Maybe a few loops of tiny monofilament or dental floss tied around a safety razor would do the same thing?

Since this has turned into the shaving thread:

For those who have never tried it the store in the mall called The Body Shop sells shave cream call Maca Root. It's the best stuff hands down. Especially if you apply with a bush(gets under wiskers). Even if you shave with a cartridge razor like me. Try it out

I cut myself pretty frequently back in the old safety razor days. IIRC at least one small nick near daily.

Have lately used Schick Quattro Titanium which may be more expensive but cuts real easy and close and is almost impossible to get nicked. I didn't use the gel til a few years ago but IMO gel beats heck out of earlier shaving cream or soap mugs. Dramatically less razor pull. Different strokes.

The cheap bic and other cheap disposable razors are no good for me. They don't seem sharp enough for the job. Its like trying to scrape off the whiskers or maybe pull them out by the roots.

Maybe the reason the Schick Quattro is so "nick proof" is there appear to be several small strands of monofilament at right angles to the blade. Maybe that keeps the blades from biting into skin if you accidentally drag the razor the wrong direction.

Maybe a few loops of tiny monofilament or dental floss tied around a safety razor would do the same thing?

Funny how different everyone's skin, etc. can be. I've used a couple of Schick cartridge razors (but probably not the current generation as I haven't used one in a few years.) I've also used two or three different kinds of the Gillette cartridge razors such as the Mach 3, Fusion and so on. All of them were supposed to be built to give a closer shave with few nicks. When I used a cartridge razor, I would nick/cut myself multiple times nearly every time I shaved.

With the safety razor, bleeding is a rare thing. When I do nick myself, it is usually because I have gone too long between changing blades. The safety razor I have, though, has a 'dial' around the top of the handle that is numbered one through nine. Turning that dial changes the amount of pressure on each side of the blade thereby changing the angle at which the blade meets the skin. It belonged to someone in a previous generation of my wife's family. Most other safety razors I have seen - even old ones - don't have that dial. Maybe being able to adjust the angle of the blade (which, I imagine, impacts the closeness of the shave) has something to do with me not getting a lot of nicks.

Of course, I generally don't shave my entire face as I usually have some variation of a beard/facial hair. Mostly my shaving involves keeping my neck shaved and facial hair 'defined'. As such I generally don't shave every day.

Thanks to this thread I'm thinking of getting into straight razor shaving. Saves money in the long run for one. Two, I've got a couple spots on my head that it doesn't seem to matter how many times I go over with a razor (cheapo disposables or the fancy 8 million blade ones) and no matter which angle I come from, won't seem to get completely smooth. My only concern is whether or not the world will be able to handle one man possessing the massive amount of awesome of both having a handlebar moustache AND shaving with a straight razor.

Thanks to this thread I'm thinking of getting into straight razor shaving. Saves money in the long run for one. Two, I've got a couple spots on my head that it doesn't seem to matter how many times I go over with a razor (cheapo disposables or the fancy 8 million blade ones) and no matter which angle I come from, won't seem to get completely smooth. My only concern is whether or not the world will be able to handle one man possessing the massive amount of awesome of both having a handlebar moustache AND shaving with a straight razor.

:up:

Never had a straight razor shave. I would like to get one, but I will leave that to the professionals. If I tried myself, I'm sure I would hack off a piece of my chin, or slice off an earlobe. No thanks. I will stick with my Gillette Fusion Pro Glide.

I've never had a shave, but have had plenty of barbers finish off a haircut with them. Always made me uneasy, especially around my ears.

Well dang it...now I want to try it...give me a few weeks to get the stuff and we will see.

Make sure you research from one of the websites. The most crucial for beginners us having the razor professionally honed, not just factory sharp. Factories proclaim razors as "shave ready" but apparently that is a subpar standard and can make for a bad experience. I'm gonna try it too as soon as I acquire the appropriate equipment.

Make sure you research from one of the websites. The most crucial for beginners us having the razor professionally honed, not just factory sharp. Factories proclaim razors as "shave ready" but apparently that is a subpar standard and can make for a bad experience. I'm gonna try it too as soon as I acquire the appropriate equipment.

Yep. If it won't lop your head clean off under the power of a good sneeze, it ain't sharp enough :D

Alright, I'm not a regular poster but the topic forces me to jump in...lol

I'm a straight shaver and have been for awhile.

For those that are interested in it, post your question and I'll do my best to answer.

If anyone is looking to try it, here are a few things to keep in mind.

Don't buy a razor that is made in Pakistan, China, ect.

Stick with vintage razors to start with. Just about anything for Germany, England, Spain, Sweden and US are going to preform well (given they aren't worn out)

It's important to have a razor honed buy someone that knows what they are doing. Just because a guy and sharpen a knife doesn't mean he can sharpen a razor.

If you buy a razor, your going to need a strop. Doesn't have to be expensive, just needs to be in good condition.

Guest Broomhead

I've never tried a straight razor, though I have always been intrigued by them. My Dad taught me to shave with one of the old style razors that you twist a piece of the handle and the top opens up like the top hatch on a missile silo and uses the double edged blades. When I was a kid, he'd give it to me without the blade, though I didn't know that. During my teens, I tried every brand of disposable/cartridge razor that was on the market and I'd get nicks and cuts every dang time. However, when I used that old razor and a fresh blade I wouldn't cut anything but hair, it didn't matter how I held it or anything. I used that baby up until I started growing a full beard (2005ish) and could go a day or two before I'd get 5 o'clock shadow. If I used any other type of razor, I'd get 5 o'clock shadow at 3 o'clock. I don't shave now though, with the exception of cleaning up me neck every few days. I don't know what happened to that razor and I really wish I still had it.

Anyone know where I could get another one like it in the Mid-TN area?

I've never tried a straight razor, though I have always been intrigued by them. My Dad taught me to shave with one of the old style razors that you twist a piece of the handle and the top opens up like the top hatch on a missile silo and uses the double edged blades. When I was a kid, he'd give it to me without the blade, though I didn't know that. During my teens, I tried every brand of disposable/cartridge razor that was on the market and I'd get nicks and cuts every dang time. However, when I used that old razor and a fresh blade I wouldn't cut anything but hair, it didn't matter how I held it or anything. I used that baby up until I started growing a full beard (2005ish) and could go a day or two before I'd get 5 o'clock shadow. If I used any other type of razor, I'd get 5 o'clock shadow at 3 o'clock. I don't shave now though, with the exception of cleaning up me neck every few days. I don't know what happened to that razor and I really wish I still had it.

Anyone know where I could get another one like it in the Mid-TN area?

Those are called safety razors, even though most people see them as dangerous. They were the precursor to cartridge razors and post straight razors.

Don't know if anyone will carry them now however you may find one at an antique store. There are definitely a plethora o options on the interwebs. Just google Safet Razor. Blades are sometimes hard to come by, but also can be found online.

Guest Broomhead
Those are called safety razors, even though most people see them as dangerous. They were the precursor to cartridge razors and post straight razors.

Don't know if anyone will carry them now however you may find one at an antique store. There are definitely a plethora o options on the interwebs. Just google Safet Razor. Blades are sometimes hard to come by, but also can be found online.

As stated above, you can find safety razor at about any antique shop.

You can still by new as well

Here is just one of may places on the web that sales them.

Safety Razors: Baxter

Thanks Gents.

• 2 weeks later...