Chiappa to offer RFID tracking chips

sigmtnman

Good, bad or otherwise; I didn't see where this has been posted and didn't want to post it specifically to long or short guns.

Italian firearm manufacturer Chiappa is introducing an new Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) system into is product line to help increase personal gun security for shooters.

The Sept issue of Gun Trade Wold has an article on page 14 which you can read at:

Gun Trade World - September 2011

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Links broken for me.

From a rational standpoint this is great, I would hate to have a firearm stolen from me and having a way to track it down would be great, however, from a paranoid standpoint they want take our guns and now they will know exactly where our cold dead hands are so they can start prying. I suppress that standpoint for the most part.

I think my excam was made by chipwhatever

This must be something new because they admitted the RFID chips are for tracking the guns during manufacturing. They said in their previous statement it helped reduce cost as well as errors during manufacturing.

It is impossible for a RFID chip to tell its location unless it passes in close proximity to a receiver.

Dolomite

ETA:

This is what the OP was referring to:

Chiappa ups security

Tuesday, 23 August 2011 15:23 [/url]

chiappa-chips_thumb_medium380_0.jpgItalian firearm manufacturer Chiappa is introducing a new Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) system into its product line to help increase personal gun security for shooters.

The RFID system is the latest frontier in automatic identification of stolen objects according to Chiappa. This involves having a small microchip inserted into your firearm, which can be read by scanners in a tenth of a second and then supplies the reader with a code and information about the weapon.

Chiappa’s Cinzia Pinzoni said: “We are currently introducing the RFID system into our production chain, applying microchip identification to all the weapons that we’re manufacturing.

“The information on the microchip can be rewritten, several times over the years, if necessary. Also, the chip is very difficult to remove. Therefore it accompanies the weapon forever, providing all the information gathered regarding its production cycle, as well as sales information and the registration of the gun and the owner’s details.

“So, it is easy to see how this constant monitoring of the weapon provides a powerful deterrent to the theft or improper use of the weapon.â€

Chiappa Firearms

T: +39 030 974 9065

F: +39 030 974 9232

E: info@armisport.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

W: Chiappa Firearms

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
Links broken for me.

From a rational standpoint this is great, I would hate to have a firearm stolen from me and having a way to track it down would be great, however, from a paranoid standpoint they want take our guns and now they will know exactly where our cold dead hands are so they can start prying. I suppress that standpoint for the most part.

I think my excam was made by chipwhatever

Not sure why the link is not working for you. It does for me for some reason though it only takes you to the main page, then you have to enter page # 14 into the page selector at the top.

Or so you've been led to believe.:tough::tinfoil:;):panic::tinfoil:

Fellow I used to work with did some cartography from sat images back in the sixties. He said they had pictures of the faces of wrist watches. I would be surprised if the capability to read RFID from a great distance did not exist.

Guest WyattEarp
It is impossible for a RFID chip to tell its location unless it passes in close proximity to a receiver.

i'm just wondering, don't satellite radio receiver antenna's and gps puck antenna's have rfid chips that the satellite's send and receive the signals to?

From the sound of it this is something that many military units already do for the purpose of inventory, and yes, the receiver must pass over the chip. Just think, an RF beacon is limited by it's battery power. Some of the smallest transmitters are 1/4 watt and still only have a range of a kilometer or two unless it's DF'd by aircraft (which I doubt will be used to locate a stolen weapon) and the battery will only last for a few days depending on the ping rate, so unless the transmitter had some kind of magnetic switch to activate it once it's removed from a stowed position it's not very reliable as a recovery asset. Besides, the equipment used to locate it would cost several times more than the weapon itself.

There is a difference between reading something visually and reading something electronically. Especially when the item being read electronically has no power source like a RFID chip.

Dolomite

Not saying they are the same. Was merely stating that we generally don't find out about such technology until many years after they are in use. To say there is no current capability with 100% certainty would be an assumption. I would be willing to bet, if the capability is not already available, someone somewhere is working towards it.

Guest WyattEarp
Satellite and GPS receivers are one way only. The satellites don't know they are there

not entirely true. if the gps satellite sends the signal to the puck and it's only one way, then how are gps companies getting the data and statistics to conduct surveys like this one?

Study finds America’s top five fastest roads, also finds Americans are driving slower | egmCarTech

satellite radio receivers may be one way though, unless they're sending signals to report usage statistics as in the gps article.

There is a difference between reading something visually and reading something electronically. Especially when the item being read electronically has no power source like a RFID chip.

Dolomite

Quick google search says they can, though I did not research further to verify:

The technology is available...

RFID Journal - RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) Technology News & Features

Note that the post in question was from 2005.

Edited by sigmtnman
not entirely true. if the gps satellite sends the signal to the puck and it's only one way, then how are gps companies getting the data and statistics to conduct surveys like this one?

Study finds America’s top five fastest roads, also finds Americans are driving slower | egmCarTech

satellite radio receivers may be one way though, unless they're sending signals to report usage statistics as in the gps article.

They are getting the data back some other way. "GPS enabled probe vehicle" dosn't mean they're transmitting to the satellites from the GPS RECEIVERS.

Now... before you continue speculating, I guess I should tell you that I have 7 uplinks here in Nashville, and kinda understand what kinda guts it takes to get a radio signal into space.

A gps engine and a satellite communications device (like onstar or iridium platform are two totally different things. So, if you pick up a garmin etrex/fortrex it is only "receiving signal from satellites. If you have a two way (I'm pretty sure this is how Onstar works) where they can determine your position it means that you are transmitting your position. A simple GPS puck itself can not transmit position, so if you pick up a NMEA puck from walmart and plug it into your computer for some kind of self tracking mapping application you can not transmit that position via puck; not only that, there is NO WAY to make a GPS puck transmit if it is not designed to. Iridium and Globalstar devices that are commercially available do have this capability, but they cost more and only work on devices designed for two way communication. So in short, the government is not keeping track of your position through your TOMTOM. If you have Onstar though you need to start wearing your tinfoil hat.

They are getting the data back some other way. "GPS enabled probe vehicle" dosn't mean they're transmitting to the satellites from the GPS RECEIVERS.

Now... before you continue speculating, I guess I should tell you that I have 7 uplinks here in Nashville, and kinda understand what kinda guts it takes to get a radio signal into space.

Yes.

Yes. Iridium transmits directly to satellites. Never tried to figure out Onstar, but always assumed that the return path was cellular. There is some two way stuff out there, but it ain't cheap.

A GPS enabled cell phone knows where it is by picking up GPS signals and calculating position. But, it reports that to the outside world via the cellular network.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest WyattEarp

America’s Fastest Roads

"INRIX drew information from its crowdsourced Smart Driver Network, that consists of unknown GPS information points collected from from 5 million drivers in consumer and blurb vehicles nationwide, from January by June 15."

i stand corrected, this is how/where they are getting their data.

INRIX

Yes. Iridium transmits directly to satellites. Never tried to figure out Onstar, but always assumed that the return path was cellular. There is some two way stuff out there, but it ain't cheap.

A GPS enabled cell phone knows where it is by picking up GPS signals and calculating position. But, it reports that to the outside world via the cellular network.

Roger, I think that's how people get confused/paranoid not understanding the comms path. For example, if I put a gps engine in my computer and had a program to transmit it's position whenever it connects to the internet I could locate it globally but that doesn't mean it's talking to a satellite. I figured onstar was a direct satellite communications device, but I guess it would make more sense since it would be cheaper to use the GSM structure... users would just be screwed if they're out in the backhills of West Virginia.

Quick google search says they can, though I did not research further to verify:

RFID Journal - RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) Technology News & Features

Note that the post in question was from 2005.

That is response to a post, nothing more. Sounds like an attempt at a sales contact if nothing else.

If there ever was a RFID chip that could be tracked from space it would be in all kinds of products, not just guns. People would have them installed in their pets much like they do now with microchips that contain the owner's information. The military would have them installed in individual equipment like helmets to track troop movements. Most troop movements are tracked using a relefctive display on the helmet. There are other methods using GPS but none are even close to a RFID transmitter.

It would be an amazing thing to have a radio transmitter that is capable of transmitting to space without a power source. As it stands right now the RFID chips need to be in close proximity to an extrernal power source. I would think there would be no way to "beam" a power source strong enough across the world without causing all kinds of other issues.

Dolomite

That is response to a post, nothing more. Sounds like an attempt at a sales contact if nothing else.

If there ever was a RFID chip that could be tracked from space it would be in all kinds of products, not just guns. People would have them installed in their pets much like they do now with microchips that contain the owner's information. The military would have them installed in individual equipment like helmets to track troop movements. Most troop movements are tracked using a relefctive display on the helmet. There are other methods using GPS but none are even close to a RFID transmitter.

It would be an amazing thing to have a radio transmitter that is capable of transmitting to space without a power source. As it stands right now the RFID chips need to be in close proximity to an extrernal power source. I would think there would be no way to "beam" a power source strong enough across the world without causing all kinds of other issues.

Dolomite

The subject of tracking stolen firearms came up with a friend of mine a few years ago. THE big engineering issue was a long term power source for the transmitter.