expired

Guest chevyman181

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you have 6 months to renew it before you have to take the class again. However, since you will be renewing after expiration, you cannot carry until you have your new license in hand.

Yes you have 6 months to renew it before you have to take the class again. However, since you will be renewing after expiration, you cannot carry until you have your new license in hand.

You may call and check on this. I had let mine expire a few years ago as well. I was told I could use my receipt for payment renewal temp. until I got mine in the mail. I called several people to verify this at the time because I did not want any trouble and the all told me the same. That was about 2 years ago. I did actually get pulled over during this time carrying and the officer was fine with it as well.

Guest Victor9er

This. (you might want to check on that receipt thing though)

FYI for future refrence, you have up to 6 months BEFORE your permit expires to renew also. So next time, don't wait for it to expire, go and get it renewed about 3 months before the expiration date and you won't have to worry about it lapsing.

per the website

[h=1]Handgun Carry Permit Renewals[/h][h=2]How to Renew Your Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit[/h]

• Your handgun carry permit will expire four (4) years from the date it is issued.
  • Renewals can be submitted up to six (6) months prior to the expiration date.
  • If the handgun carry permit has been expired greater than 6 months past the expiration date, the applicant will have to start the complete original application process. This includes completing a handgun safety course, paying the $115 fee, being fingerprinted and undergoing a background check.
  • Permit Holders whose permit has not expired and are renewing their permit, may legally carry their handgun with the receipt provided from their application. Permit Holders whose permit have expired and are renewing their permit, cannot lawfully carry a handgun until they receive their new permit.
  • The renewal fee for a handgun carry permit is $50.00. Upon approval of the renewal application, a new permit will be mailed to the Handgun Carry Permit Applicant.
  • A permit holder can submit a Renewal Application at any Driver Service Center or renew by mail. To receive a renewal application by mail call (615) 251-8590. The renewal application must be complete and signed by the applicant. The application and the $50.00 fee payable by check or money order can be mailed to the following address:

Tennessee Department of Safety

Handgun Permit Office

1150 Foster Ave.

Nashville, Tn 37243-1000

• Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
  • FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.

You may call and check on this. I had let mine expire a few years ago as well. I was told I could use my receipt for payment renewal temp. until I got mine in the mail. I called several people to verify this at the time because I did not want any trouble and the all told me the same. That was about 2 years ago. I did actually get pulled over during this time carrying and the officer was fine with it as well.

Hmm, not what TCA or TNDOS says, so I dunno about all that.

Handgun Carry Permit Forms

"Permit Holders whose permit has not expired and are renewing their permit, may legally carry their handgun with the receipt provided from their application. Permit Holders whose permit have expired and are renewing their permit, cannot lawfully carry a handgun until they receive their new permit."

- OS

Not to pile on....but the law is fairly clear, if your permit has expired you can not carry with the receipt for renewal...you must wait until your new HCP arrives.

I don't doubt that other answers were given though.....I admit that recently it seems DOS employees have been more accurate on things related to HCPs, but for a long time many didn't seem to know a lot some laws and procedures.

Fallguy,

It the law the same if you renew before your permit expires? I renewed in person about a year and a half ago. The clerk told me that my receipt would serve as my permit if mine expired before they mailed me my new one. Has the law changed or was I given bad info by the clerk?

Fallguy,

It the law the same if you renew before your permit expires? I renewed in person about a year and a half ago. The clerk told me that my receipt would serve as my permit if mine expired before they mailed me my new one. Has the law changed or was I given bad info by the clerk?

The info you were given is correct.

If you renew before your permit expires, then you can continue to carry even if it expires before your new permit arrives, as long as you have the receipt showing you renewed before the expiration date.

If you don't renew till after your permit expires, then you can not carry until the new permit arrives.

I did the same thing. When you go to renew they will make you surrender your old permit ( A THP officer came from the back to get mine) and you will not be able to carry until you get the new one. The thing that I found funny is a friend of mine applied for the first time for his hcp two weeks after I renewed mine and he got his weeks before mine came in. Mine expired on a Sunday and I went that Monday thinking that because they were not open they might just renew it, nope. The lady who I swear was anti gun stated that Expired means expired. Now I renew as soon as it comes in.

The info you were given is correct.

If you renew before your permit expires, then you can continue to carry even if it expires before your new permit arrives, as long as you have the receipt showing you renewed before the expiration date.

If you don't renew till after your permit expires, then you can not carry until the new permit arrives.

Thanks.

I did the same thing. When you go to renew they will make you surrender your old permit ( A THP officer came from the back to get mine) and you will not be able to carry until you get the new one. The thing that I found funny is a friend of mine applied for the first time for his hcp two weeks after I renewed mine and he got his weeks before mine came in. Mine expired on a Sunday and I went that Monday thinking that because they were not open they might just renew it, nope. The lady who I swear was anti gun stated that Expired means expired. Now I renew as soon as it comes in.

Well, she's right. Expired is expired, pretty much. You can renew up to six months before it expires. Just from what I've seen, renewals take far longer than first time applications.