First IDPA

Got to participate in my first IDPA last weekend in north GA.

IT WAS AN AWESOME EXPERIENCE!!!

First and foremost, the folks are great. I imagine this friendly and welcoming atttitude is very prevelant throughout the IPDA community. When I was meeting the other shooters and telling them it was my first time, the resounding response was, "you will have fun."

The reason I posted this in Carry / SD Forum is it was a real eye opener for what can happen in the real world.

My first time up, 13 people watching, heart pumping, hands jittery, sites a little shaky! Made me really reflect on how much more adrenline will be pumping in the event of a real scenario.

Where I really had a problem was shooting from behind cover to my weak side. Leaning to the left, no issues; leaning to the right, YIKES!!!

The other thing was shooting at multiple opponents. Had I ued my SP101, my times may have doubled with the re-loads. Made me much more certain of carrying my CZ75B with at least one extra mag.

Handguns represented at the match: Glocks, M&Ps, Beretta, CZ, and one 1911

Edited by Gotthegoods
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! I've heard the same eye-opener story many times, and experienced it myself. Be prepared to be lambasted by know-it-alls who will expalin that it is a silly game with paper targets that don't shoot back and doesn't represent reality. They are right, but they fail to see that this enforces what you learned--if you can't handle the artificial stress encountered in a match, how would a real fight turn out? These know-it-alls are often folks who tried IDPA and finished last. Instead of swallowing their pride and improving their skill set and mental game, they live in denial and believe they are fully prepared for a gunfight because they have taken tactical pistol ninja level 2, etc. Some even claim that shooting IDPA matches will get you killed.

IDPA is only a game, but it's a great way to find out how you shoot under less than ideal conditions. Enjoy!

Congrats! Great fun and very informative. You can also learn a lot by watching and listening to the other shooters, some of whom will turn out to be guys, and gals, with pretty impressibe credentials.

It may not be tactical training, but you'll know a lot more about yourself and your abilities to handle stress and your gun than you will just standing at a range punching paper. Plus it's a hoot to shoot!

Me, I hate shooting weak hand while moving, and my scores show it! :D

My first match was the TGO beginners match last February. I was hooked. Joined IDPA and my local club. Trying to learn enough to really get in to running the matches. My first SO said you will go dumb when the timer beeps so don't worry about going fast just get your hits. Let the speed come on it's own.

Cool, how well did you do? How much did it end up costing you over all?
Check out our website at Music City Tactical Shooters There is some good info there. PM me and I can help you get started. There is a regular IDPA match 10/15 at our range in Dickson. Come out and be prepared to shoot. There is no watching allowed(just kidding). Like the OP said is true at our range also, be safe and have fun everyone there will help you. It is a great experience. And to the OP, every time you say "in the real world" a kitten is killed.
Cool, how well did you do? How much did it end up costing you over all?

I placed 12 out of 13 overall, 11 out of 13 on accuracy.

The shooting from my behind covered killed me; penalties for dropping my mag during mandatory reload and I think for stepping out (to my weak/ right side) from behind cover.

The total cost was $10.00 for match, my buddy supplied the ammo and a dual mag carrier. I also spent $30.00 for a new OWB holster.

Not real clear on the rules, but I normally carry AIWB and was told this carry method is not allowed.

I wish I could have competed with my normal carry style.

Sorry about the "real world" comment, I like kittens.

I checked out MCTS via the web - really cool scenarios!

In East TN the Oak Ridge Sportsman's Assn hosts different matches, the only one I could try would be the 3 gun (pistol / rifle / shotgun) since it falls on a Sunday - now that looks pretty cool.

Anyone interested in trying it out, GO FOR IT!!! S different from static paper target shooting

Edited by Gotthegoods

I've just been shooting for a few years and I've done a few classes but no competitions at all. IDPA looks super fun to me but it's always a question of whether I can squeeze in one more thing into my schedule.

Does anyone know anything about the Volunteer Pistol and Rifle Club? If you go here:

VRPC Event Calendar

and click on fall pistol events, it looks like they have a zombie themed pistol shoot on Oct 30th. Since it only says you need 100 rounds and extra mags, I assume you don't have to be a member to participate. I wonder if it would be a beginner friendly event?