Pulled over in Illinois, what would you do?

Guest msparks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are Illinois gun laws racist? That's kind of an absurd claim to make.

Racist against whom?

Tennessee has the same gun laws Illinois has; it’s a crime to carry a loaded gun off your property in Tennessee and Illinois both.

However, 5% of the population has been allowed to purchase a permit that allows them to carry a gun here; which is a better than Illinois. Some seem to think that is an example of good gun laws.

I assume by racist he means that you can’t get carry legislation because the black community doesn’t want it; and they are who elect Illinois politicians. But that’s just a WAG from someone familiar with Illinois politics. :D

The same thing is going to happen here when Memphis finds out they can run the state.

Anybody who thinks that the black community runs the state here in Illinois shold probably have their head examined. It's the white affluent suburbs and the affluent white north side of Chi that run the state.

Anybody who thinks that the black community runs the state here in Illinois shold probably have their head examined. It's the white affluent suburbs and the affluent white north side of Chi that run the state.

rollfloor.gif

I should have known it was either the white man’s fault, or George Bush’s fault.

I must need my head examined.

I’m think I’m going to go ahead and stay out of this now. :D

Needless to say, I've gone from Driving the Interstate the entire way to Chicago to taking back roads through Indiana which allows me to legally carry all but the last 50 miles. Not to mention IN gets my gas money, food money and my wonderful personality.

So if you all ever have to go to chitown, I would recommend taking Hwy 41 all the way. Actually don't take any more time, you just have to deal with several big towns and depending on the time of day could just be a pain. But it's worth it to me.

Edited by msparks

Those towns you skip when taking the back roads are the towns that want better gun laws. It's Chicago and the surrounding area that control the state.

I guess I'm a little alarmed, and a little amused by people who will boycott a state because of gun laws that are made by politicians. Turst me; we have been trying to change things here. Casting a blanket statement about all of Illinois being a place to avoid is short sighted. One could say that Tenessee is a horrible place to go because of Memphis. If that one place is bad, the rest of the state is for crap too.

I've lived in down state IL where the people have the same desires to have less restrictive gun laws. I have friends in the western part of the state that feel the same way. Heck, I have friends that live in Chicago that are actively trying to change the laws and elect better politicians (is there such a thing?). Instead of crapping on the state, if you feel so strongly about the stupid gun laws here, get involved and donate to pro-gun causes in Illinois. What helps us here only strengthens the position of gun owners nation wide.

Those towns you skip when taking the back roads are the towns that want better gun laws. It's Chicago and the surrounding area that control the state.

I guess I'm a little alarmed, and a little amused by people who will boycott a state because of gun laws that are made by politicians. Turst me; we have been trying to change things here. Casting a blanket statement about all of Illinois being a place to avoid is short sighted. One could say that Tenessee is a horrible place to go because of Memphis. If that one place is bad, the rest of the state is for crap too.

I've lived in down state IL where the people have the same desires to have less restrictive gun laws. I have friends in the western part of the state that feel the same way. Heck, I have friends that live in Chicago that are actively trying to change the laws and elect better politicians (is there such a thing?). Instead of crapping on the state, if you feel so strongly about the stupid gun laws here, get involved and donate to pro-gun causes in Illinois. What helps us here only strengthens the position of gun owners nation wide.

Well Said!

It could be worse. At least it isn't New York where non residents can't even BRING a handgun unloaded in a lock box to New York to keep in a hotel room legally or get slapped with a big time mandatory one year in jail. About the only exception to that one is attending an NRA sanctioned match. Non residents cannot get a New York pistol license. You can bring a long gun to New York, but not to NYC!

People say bad things about California too and honestly it isn't bad for a non resident visiting, you just put it in the trunk and go. Too bad you can't get a non resident pistol license (unless you have a business) in California because you would seriously be set carry wise. There are some pretty places out there I'd like to go see again and yes i'd bring my snub for the hotel room.

• 4 weeks later...
Got pulled over for speeding in Illinois, cop asked if there are any guns in the car. What would you say?

I'm going to keep this very simple (knowing that I'll probably go down in flames, but what the heck).

If you don't have your head up your butt while using your guns, then don't put it there when you get in your car and you won't have to worry about what to say to LEOs in any state because you'll never get pulled over.

Personally, I'd rather go up against someone armed with a gun than someone armed with a 2,000 pound personal vehicle - at least I've got a pretty good idea of what the guy with gun is going to do.

I'm going to keep this very simple (knowing that I'll probably go down in flames, but what the heck).

If you don't have your head up your butt while using your guns, then don't put it there when you get in your car and you won't have to worry about what to say to LEOs in any state because you'll never get pulled over.

Personally, I'd rather go up against someone armed with a gun than someone armed with a 2,000 pound personal vehicle - at least I've got a pretty good idea of what the guy with gun is going to do.

I've read this somewhere, sometime, but can't put my finger on it. ;)

....I guess I'm a little alarmed, and a little amused by people who will boycott a state because of gun laws that are made by politicians. Turst me; we have been trying to change things here. Casting a blanket statement about all of Illinois being a place to avoid is short sighted. One could say that Tenessee is a horrible place to go because of Memphis.... Instead of crapping on the state, if you feel so strongly about the stupid gun laws here, get involved and donate to pro-gun causes in Illinois. What helps us here only strengthens the position of gun owners nation wide.

Why would I donate money to Illinois? The citizens there elect those that make the laws. I avoid places that let me know I and my money aren't welcome.

i go to mo every other week from nahville its 33 miles farther to avoid il by going up us60 and i55 . i try to spend no money in il for any reason because i got a ticket there for talking on a cell phone in a constion zone on i57 no sign telling about law cost 350.00 so imo il sucks

I've read this somewhere, sometime, but can't put my finger on it. :D

Doesn't matter when, where or how many times you've read it - the point is still valid. And I simply choose to operate my vehicles with the same attention to safety that I exercise when using my guns. (Kinda' wish more people would take that approach, it'd make my job a whole lot easier.) :-\

Doesn't matter when, where or how many times you've read it - the point is still valid. And I simply choose to operate my vehicles with the same attention to safety that I exercise when using my guns. (Kinda' wish more people would take that approach, it'd make my job a whole lot easier.) :-\

Well said.

Oh come on now, I was just funnin ya. And I do agree with you.

Need to read a great piece of case law - People vs Holmes.

Long story short, out of state permit holder came through Chicago with an unloaded weapon in his backseat armrest.

Turns out that an out of state permit = IL FOID and all the magical things that allows you to do.

If you've ever gone through Illinois or have considered doing so, you REALLY need to read this.. and read it all the way through. A LOT of good stuff in there!!

http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/SupremeCourt/2011/April/109130.pdf

i'm just curious, but since when has pulling someone over for a routine traffic violation become synonymous with inquiring about guns in the car?

Since the OP has a lot of answers, I'll take a stab at this instead. It's a great way to catch bad guys. Most people get nervous when a cop asks a question like that, and more so if you actually have illegal items in the car. So they stumble on the simple stuff. This gives the officer a big hint he should pry a bit more.

When you have someone who mixes up his story, doesn't know the last name of the "good friend" who loaned him the vehicle etc. it's a good idea to ask if you can search. This is how you wind up on the news. :D

On the other hand, a citizen who suddenly becomes worried maybe he misinterpreted the laws, while likely to be nervous and stumble a bit, will have all the paperwork or at least have a coherent story as to why he is driving a friend's car and remember where he is going a minute later when asked again.

FTR I am not a cop. I work as a civilian for a PD, and until a stupid decision broke one knee and fubar'ed the other, I was well on the way to being one, including a internship with the Bradley Cty. Sheriff's dept many hundred's of years ago.

Guest m500 lover
first off, if i'm going through Illinois, my gun is locked up in the trunk, my magazine and ammo are locked in the glovebox. But yes, I would tell him there is a weapon in the car, it is locked up in the trunk and the ammo is separated, and then I would explain that I am a HCP holder in Tennessee, but that I'm aware of the laws in Illinois and that my HCP is not recognized in the state of Illinois.

Illinois is not the place to screw around. not that any place is the place to screw around, but you do things by the book in Illinois, it's a whole different ball game there. Now that I will be carrying once my weapon arrives next week, I will not be driving through Illinois at all if I can help it. That state scares me with their attitude on guns.

i'm just curious, but since when has pulling someone over for a routine traffic violation become synonymous with inquiring about guns in the car? In all my time growing up as a kid, I never once heard a cop ask my dad if he had any drugs or guns in the car. Now it seems like it's almost common place to hear about a police officer asking about guns or drugs being in the car. Seems like being on alert and being aware, and has turned into paranoia. In all of my traffic stops, i've been asked twice. Both times in Tennessee, never been asked in Missouri.

Illinois is the second biggest communist state commifornia.

Sent with Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.