Decent 9mm 1911? Or Browning Hi-Power?

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Does anyone make a decent 9mm 1911? Interested in exploring the platform, but not interested in switching calibers or having to stock multiple calibers at this particular point. Would I just be better off trying to find a Hi-Power or similar?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there are many, many good 9mm 1911s in various frames from full sized (45 classic sized) to almost pocket pistols. The colt defender or new agent. Para's night hawg. STI has a few. RIA has a big one that is inexpensive. Many more, those are just a quick sample. For the price range of a new high power, you can get most of the 1911 frames, so it becomes your choice, whichever you like most.

Guest Scramasax

Get a Highpower. It has the best grip and is a historical mate to the 1911. There are also good .22 conversion units for both platforms. I go back and forth at times about getting a 9mm 1911, then I fire on of my highpowers.

Cheers,

ts

I will have to do a bit more looking into the Springfield and the Sig, though for that sort of $$ I may just want to skip over this and jump into the AR market...

You have expensive tastes.... an AR is going to cost as much as a 1911 9mm, and for both types you can pay anywhere from $500 to $5000. Here is the RIA @ just under $500: 2-ARM16323FCE - Rock Island Armory 1911 Semi Auto Pistol 9mm 5" Barrel 9 Rounds Ambidextrous Safety Fixed Sights Steel Parkerized Synthetic Grips. Here is the taurus version: 59330 - Taurus Model 1911 Semi Automatic Handgun 9mm 5" Barrel 9 Rounds Black Checkered Plastic Black Grips Blued Finish. From there, they jump toward the $750 mark at an alarming rate, there may be a couple more cheaper offerings but the instant something is partially derived from the 1911 format the price doubles.

Guest Lester Weevils

I have that exact model of Taurus 9mm 1911. Have maybe run 500 rounds thru it. Perhaps a little more. It works great as best I can tell.

It feeds 100 percent reliable with 115 gr round nose FMJ. I got the Taurus mainly as a range toy so defense ammo is not a concern.

One day I tried my XTP 124gr hollow-point reloads which are exact clones of Hornady XTP factory ammo in dimensions and velocity. The PT1911 had some mis-feeds with the XTP ammo. That XTP ammo is 100 percent reliable in my other 9mm pistols-- Glock 17, Beretta 92FS, Cougar, CZ85 C, Kahr P9.

The XTP rounds would occasionally bounce up off the feed ramp and get stove-piped against the chamber opening, rather than feed straight into the chamber. However that XTP 9mm round is unusually short and stubby with a cone-shaped bullet. Am guessing that a rounded hollowpoint bullet loaded to average 9mm OAL would probably feed as good as round nose FMJ, but have not taken the time to test other defense ammo in the pistol and can't say for sure.

Yeah, I know these are expensive format guns. But there's a big difference between $800 or $900 and $1,300 (the first price I saw for the Sig mentioned). Though for $800 or $900 I might also be tempted to pick up a G17 or similar and some manner of mousegun...

I had somewhat resigned myself to spending around $1k, as my original intent was to have an AR as my next purchase. But then I started thinking about the usefulness (I don't hunt, there aren't many places to shoot them around here, most of the places you can shoot them are short ranges, and they're not especially amazing for home defense, so it would mostly be a shiny toy and an EOTWAWKI precaution) and thought I would be better served with another pistol that I could at least carry and take out whenever I want. But when I made that mental switch, I was also hoping I could walk out of everything for less than a grand.

I guess what I wanted to know -- and what I'm hearing -- is that there are a few 9mm 1911s in the lower end of the market (not cheap, but not crazy expensive) that aren't going to be a complete POS. If there weren't, I'd probably drop the $800 or whatever to get the Browning. It's historic, and at least it was designed from the word go with the 9mm in mind.