Glock for Smith Wesson

bayouvol

Would you add 100 dollars and trade a Glock 27 with extra mag for a 3 inch Smith Wesson model 65 ladysmith 357 mag revolver? This one has the pinned hammer and no safety lock. I like the way it feels but wonder how it would carry as an every day piece. Does anyone carry one of these everyday?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Victor9er

First... I would ask what's wrong with the Glock that makes you want to trade it and feel like it isn't good for everyday carry?

Personally, I'd keep the Glock... but I like Glocks and I don't care for revolvers so it's pretty much a no-brainer for me. But I'm not you, so you need to ask yourself what it is about each gun that you do or don't like.

The 3" M-65 Ladysmith is a sweet setup intended more for CCW or PDW weapon need's and carries well in an IWB or OWB holster. As to it being better than the G-27? Well, that depend's on what one want's. If your asking whether the M-65 your looking at is worth a bit more than your G-27 than yes, it is, you can easily replace the G-27. FWIW I'd recommend finding a way to aquire the Smith while keeping the G-27.

I tried to convince my wife to carry a semi auto. In the amount of time it took her to shoot five rounds through her LCR and get 5 more rounds loaded I had 21 on the target with my spare mag close by. I do carry her LCR for those times I'm just wanting a pocket gun or a quick trip to Walgrees.

I have a 2 ½†Model 66. It and the Model 65 are K-frame's. That’s a pretty big, heavy revolver. Its worth more than the Glock, but have you thought about how you are going to carry it?

The Model 60 “Lady Smith†is a J-frame .357Mag. It’s much easier to conceal, just one less round.

I would stay with the glock for sure. I have a g27 that i used to carry all the time. Now its mainly for winter carry. I used to have a 65 3''. It was a great shooting gun as any smith revolver in my opionion however the g27 just fit me better when it came to everyday carry. As TNWNGR said, I would try to figure a way to get them both. You may find each is different enough to keep...If not sell the one you like the most. I have made the mistake too many times of selling a gun to get another one and then regret getting it.

Everyone needs at least one Model 60. I bought my daughter a Model 60 pro for her high school graduation! It's a great gun. I paid almost $600 for it, so trading the G27+$100 would be a good deal.

As far as better than the G27 for carry, it's all what you are looking for. Less boolits but cooler aesthetics. Like others have said you need a good holster for the Model 60 to be comfortable.

Personally I like revolvers but I can't shoot one nearly as well as a Glock and the ones that are fun to shoot (the big and heavy ones) aren't the ones most people carry. I wouldn't mind owning a revolver or two but I'd have a hard time parting with a Glock for one unless I had multiple other Glocks. I've recently thought about trading for or getting a 4" .357 revolver for a hiking pistol and as a possible learning tool for the wife (with .38 special, of course). I haven't for two reasons. First, even though .357 is a more potent load than the .40 G22 I currently hike with, I practice fairly often with my G19/G17 Glocks so I'm probaby better protected with my 16 rounds of .40 in my G22 (a familiar package) than I would be with a 6 rounds of .357 in a platform I'm less experienced with. Second, I don't really want to part with one of my Glocks.

I say go for it. You only live once. You can always get another G27 a but 3" Mdl 65LS isn't found on every corner. The K-frame S&W revolver is an "elegant sufficiency" and just plain cool in 3". Are you trading with someone you trust? If the S&W looks well cared for it probably is. These two links should help you.

How the S&W revolver works

Genitron.com: Basics-Interactive Illustrated Revolver

Inspecting a used S&W revolver

Gunsmith - How to inspect a Smith & Wesson revolver - YouTube