my son made me proud

Guest archerdr1

Guest archerdr1

I just remembered this and decided to mention it. My 4 yr old was with me back when we were going through the whole Opt out crap with east Ridge City Commission. In my speach I mentioned that I carry b/c I, and I alone am responsible for protecting my children. I was with my son several weeks ago and someone asked me why I feel that I need to carry a gun. My son looked at her and said, "Because he is SPONSIBLE for TECTING me and my bruder" the things that young children can remember. I was pretty happy with my boy. He then said, "I am going to carry one when I am older" A few days ago I was taking my boys to school and forgot to grab my gun. again, my 4 yr old said, "daddy, you are forgetting something" I said, "What am I forgetting?" He said, "You didn't get your gun" I said, "You are right." He then said, Get your RUBER (Ruger), it is the biggest".

I AM ONE PROUD DADDY!!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just remembered this and decided to mention it. My 4 yr old was with me back when we were going through the whole Opt out crap with east Ridge City Commission. In my speach I mentioned that I carry b/c I, and I alone am responsible for protecting my children. I was with my son several weeks ago and someone asked me why I feel that I need to carry a gun. My son looked at her and said, "Because he is SPONSIBLE for TECTING me and my bruder" the things that young children can remember. I was pretty happy with my boy. He then said, "I am going to carry one when I am older" A few days ago I was taking my boys to school and forgot to grab my gun. again, my 4 yr old said, "daddy, you are forgetting something" I said, "What am I forgetting?" He said, "You didn't get your gun" I said, "You are right." He then said, Get your RUBER (Ruger), it is the biggest".

I AM ONE PROUD DADDY!!!

That is a fantastic story.

Guest archerdr1

Absolutely doing that. Taking him deer hunting this winter too. Gonna be a good daddy/son quality time. He watches deer hunting shows on tv more than he watches the kids shows. He told me that he wanted to go hunting and shoot a deer, so I am thinking about aiming for him and then let him shoot... might be a neat experience for him. I also taught my boys to never touch my guns unless I let them. My 2 yr old was trying to reach one (It was way out of reach of him, but he was trying. My 4 yr old said, "No Dylon, don't touch Daddy's gun, you aren't allowed. You might shoot it and you might die" I have a couple of really smart kids. Don't know where they got it... definitely not from me.

Guest archerdr1
You, sir, are a good father.
Well, thank you, I try. I think it is really important that they know what guns are, what they are used for, not to play with them, and that Daddy will use them to protect them.
...Taking him deer hunting this winter too...

How are you preparing him for the "field-dressing" phase? Gotta be careful...don't want to lose him over that part. Pull the trigger, "bang" and the deer drops, just like in a video game. But field dressing is up close and personal...and messy!

Guest archerdr1
How are you preparing him for the "field-dressing" phase? Gotta be careful...don't want to lose him over that part. Pull the trigger, "bang" and the deer drops, just like in a video game. But field dressing is up close and personal...and messy!
actually, he doesn't mind that part. I killed a rabbit and two squirrels in my back yard and he held the legs as I skinned them. He said "We gonna eat them?" I said "Yes" and he said "Good, I like them. We bought some baby quail and raised them and when it came time to prep them for dinner, he held them while I chopped off the heads. He said, "Daddy, we need to buy some turkeys now so we can get them big and kill them and eat them". When I killed my last deer he watched me dress them and sniffed the meat and said "AHHH, I like deers, daddy, can I eat it?" Yeah, I think my kid can handle the field dressing part.
actually, he doesn't mind that part. I killed a rabbit and two squirrels in my back yard and he held the legs as I skinned them. He said "We gonna eat them?" I said "Yes" and he said "Good, I like them. We bought some baby quail and raised them and when it came time to prep them for dinner, he held them while I chopped off the heads. He said, "Daddy, we need to buy some turkeys now so we can get them big and kill them and eat them". When I killed my last deer he watched me dress them and sniffed the meat and said "AHHH, I like deers, daddy, can I eat it?" Yeah, I think my kid can handle the field dressing part.

Wow. I've no idea how my son would react to that. I guess you'd just have to make them think it's fun. Personally, I've only helped dress 2 deer. I made it through the first one without gagging, but the smell was over-powering on the 2nd one and I had to "get some air" for a few minutes. Smaller stuff has never been a problem.

Guest archerdr1
Wow. I've no idea how my son would react to that. I guess you'd just have to make them think it's fun. Personally, I've only helped dress 2 deer. I made it through the first one without gagging, but the smell was over-powering on the 2nd one and I had to "get some air" for a few minutes. Smaller stuff has never been a problem.
Stop cutting open roadkill, once they start to swell, they are definitely not good anymore. J/k, I have found the smell is much stronger if they run when ya shoot them
Stop cutting open roadkill, once they start to swell, they are definitely not good anymore. J/k, I have found the smell is much stronger if they run when ya shoot them

As I recall (its been many years ago)... it looked like the chest cavity innards had been in a blender. And it took several hours to find.

Guest archerdr1

yeah, gut shots stink. I was fortunate to hit mine in the front of the chest (at an angle) went through the aorta, heart, and out behind the shoulder. No gut shot... and dropped in it's tracks. And, with an SKS from a hundred yds at that.

yeah, gut shots stink. I was fortunate to hit mine in the front of the chest (at an angle) went through the aorta, heart, and out behind the shoulder. No gut shot... and dropped in it's tracks. And, with an SKS from a hundred yds at that.

It actually wasn't gut shot, just the heart/lung area was badly mangled. I assume the bullet bounced around off the ribs a couple times.

OP awesome story about you kids. I myself am starting early with my 4 year old girl. She has gone to the range a lot, and even watches me clean the Beretta at home. My wife asked her one day what I had and she said "that's just daddy's gun, but you have to be careful with it." That is exactly what I want from her. I want her to be respectful and safe around weapons, but I also do not want her to be overly curious about them. I think the over curiosity is the main culprit in accidents involving children.

That is great.

From a very, very young age my son has always had guns around him. They sat on tables or counters when not on my hip. I think that took the novelty of them away and he views them as nothing more than a tool. When he was young I had left a 1911 out on more than just a few occassions and he never even thought about touching it.

This is one of the keys to keeping kids safe around guns. Take the novelty or newness away. Trying to hide something from a kid only piques their interest and when they get a chance they will do something they shouldn't. Because of his constant exposure my son has always viewed guns as a tool like a pair of pliers or a screw driver.

He is 19 now and getting ready to leave for his Air Force basic. Although he does shoot he doesn't have the bug yet. In time I am sure it will come.

Dolomite