Mohawk Armory Suppressors

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see the internals and specs before judging. There are a lot of things that can affect supressor performance. Baffle design, bore size, materials used as well as the size. And I would consider a take apart suppressor a must for a rimfire. If not take apart then 100% stainless steel. Aluminum is fine but I would not buy one made of 6061 as it tends to be really, really soft. There are several makers using stainless to make rimfire suppressors based on their aluminum cans and those SS cans aren't much more.

And considering this will be a lifetime purchase I will say this. Buy something that is proven, even if it is a little more. Although a $150 suppressor might seem like a deal it may not be if it isn't as quiet as you hoped or the materials are not up to par. Maybe they can demo one of their cans at their shop for you. If it is truly quiet it should not be a problem walking out back and shooting into the ground.

Think about it. Most suppressors that get purchased stay with the person to be passed down to heirs. People are more likely to sell their home than a suppressor they own.

A funny story, a friend of mine bought his first suppressor a while ago (not Mohark but a no name). It was cheap and he had it for a long time. He said he really liked it but being his first suppressor he wasn't as knowledgeable as one would have hoped in making a lifetime purchase. One day he diecided to clean it and there were no internals. Just a tube with two endcaps. He said the supression was good. I tried the same thing as I was building mine. It was hearing safe but in no way as quiet as it is now.

If you want I have all the dB measurements of all rimfire cans as of a year ago. I can email those specs to you, they are in excel format. It was this list that I used to build my can. I took the quietest can and weighed that against ease of machining. I wound up using SS through out with K baffles. And as you have seen it is a quiet can.

Dolomite

As you know I don't have a host weapon as of yet so that is first. I just was browsing the interwebs and went to their website and saw they are now manufacturing suppressors. They offer no details aside from caliber. I may call them and see what they say about specs or demo.

As far as the ratings yes I will PM my email. I would love to see that.

I do agree that I would pay more for a can equivalent to the one you made, but if I can pay less and get a good one I'd do that.

Edited by Lumber_Jack
Guest griffin armament

I don't want to jump the "hate the affordable product bandwagon"- a lot of the industry does that and it is an only half logically conceived notion. But I'll give you my opinion in as non-biased a way as I can.

A $150 can is $350 with the stamp- $400-$425 with the stamp and transfer. Once you look at a product from that perspective, it becomes obvious it is only slightly more cost effective than many other affordable options.

So then you have to wonder "can they be reasonably expected to build and sell a quality, market competitive .22lr suppressor for $150?"

It could be done, but they couldn't be making more than $50 a unit, so really if it is happening, they should have a page on the website dedicated to proving to the customer that it is a high quality item worth more than its price suggests so there is buyer confidence.

The first product we ever made was a modified K baffle (I called it a "star-K baffle") suppressor that we decided to construct as a sealed unit. It was anodized on the outside and not on the inside, and laser engraved. It had aluminum threads and was a really good sound performer. After trying to sell them for $225 in a market that was becoming a take apart market I lowered the price to $125... then I realized that honestly I was doing the customer a diss-service to sell them a sealed .22lr suppressor at any price and decided not to sell the product at all. So I have a box of them, and we didn't make $50 a unit on the box of them, and as a result there aren't a group of customers cursing their poor vision for the future now 3 years later, with sealed $400 (with tax and transfer paid) .22lr suppressors that may have stripped threads, or might be beginning to lead up and get louder.

The Mohawk suppressor people seem to want to do the customer a service in an almost charitable sense, and their Ruger MKIII integral looks great and is priced afordably for $850, so if they are doing it right- user serviceable and with good sound performance, they would be a great place to do business.

If that's the case they should get some photos and specs onto the website, and maybe some demo videos onto you tube so customers don't have to wonder what the product is like. If not, they should probably work with the product till it is competitive, so the customer can be happy and not ever wishing he'd bought a slightly higher priced product.

To be 100% clear, I do believe there is a point of diminishing returns. I don't believe that 2-3DB's or 1/4" shorter is worth $450 more. But is 10DB's more efficient worth $100-150? Is a replaceable, stainless thread worth $25 more than softer aluminum? Is it worth $30 for the silencer to come apart? You bet.

Edited by griffin armament

Nice reply GA. I agree completely with the school of thought "you get what you pay for". Things are cheap for a reason: less productions costs, cheaper materials, not a lot of R&D and/or less marketing costs. All things considered, for a few hundred more dollars you can get a proven unit that will last a lifetime. Long term peace of mind is worth $200 to me.

Nice reply GA. I agree completely with the school of thought "you get what you pay for". Things are cheap for a reason: less productions costs, cheaper materials, not a lot of R&D and/or less marketing costs. All things considered, for a few hundred more dollars you can get a proven unit that will last a lifetime. Long term peace of mind is worth $200 to me.

I totally agree with the sentiment, however if I can save $200 and still get high quality suppressor, I will. Reality is it boils down to their machining ability. If I had the right equipment I would build my own. There are plenty of good baffle designs out there.

Chances are the Mohawks might not be as good as the AAC, GA, etc. But you never know, that's why I asked.

Guest griffin armament

Lumber_Jack is right. It could be possible, so hopefully someone with their product can do a better job showing it to the customer than Mohawk is doing on their site.