One good reason to train to shoot weak hand

Guest archerdr1

Guest archerdr1

I was in the Chattanooga Police academy several years ago. Onething they trained us in was weak hand shooting. I thought it was a good idea and after I left the academy and department I continued training weak hand. Glad I did because two weeks ago I was in my basement and slipped on my basement floor. On the waydown my right arm went through an old, empty wine bottle that I had put down there for my wine making hobby. It broke the bottle and I now have an 8 inch slice down and across my right forearm. It cut the muscle almost in two, cut the nerves, cut the veins, cut the tendon sheath, and missed the artery by only about 2 mm. I cannot write left handed, cannot do much at all left handed, but I sure can shoot left handed. So, while I am recovering, I can still carry my pistol!!! TRAIN WITH YOUR WEAK HAND. Oh, and recovery sucks!!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest archerdr1

I get my splint off tomorrow(well today technically). The doc said around 6-8 weeks. My job won't let me return until I can return without restrictions... so, this means about a month and a half of no work, no pay. Really sucks

:puke:

Have a brother who was born with just his left hand, birth defect that left just the bones of the wrist with no hand at all. The "Nub" as he, and we, (his siblings) called it, was a wicked weapon in and of itself. The cartilage that would have separated the hand from the wrist formed a cap over the fused bones, making it the most effective sternum poker imaginable, but I digress.

Tore a rotator cuff badly whilst living in Texas in my early 20's, he was out in Ft. Worth working for me at the time. Trying to learn at that advanced age to perform the most normal functions one handed, such as tying shoes etc. was one thing. Doing necessary sanitary functions with the off hand required some training as well. He semi smirked at my first lament of having my right arm tied up for six weeks, I got no sympathy from him at all, but did have a very apt teacher on how to survive the world one handed.

I learned then how to work my weapons one handed, and have practiced off hand shooting ever since. It was the only silver lining in that cloud.

Guest archerdr1
I learned then how to work my weapons one handed, and have practiced off hand shooting ever since. It was the only silver lining in that cloud.
abslutely. I did get my cast off today and have a really cool gash. goes clear across the inside of my forearm and down toward my wrist. I have a wrist brace to wear but can take it off. glad to have trained with my left hand.