Venison Chili Cook off 2011

Guest adamoxtwo

Guest adamoxtwo

Folks, I want to start a thread for this and tried in the Events a Gathering, but I wasn't getting any feedback. Mr. Moderator please advise me of the best place to put this. Anyway below is what I had put up there. I am trying to help out a family in need. WD I think that you will appreciate this one.

Hey Folks so here we are we have talked about it now it's time to put up or shut up! I'm talking about a Venison Chili Cook-Off!

Date/Time: TBD

Location: Willow Bend Baptist Church 1235 Northfield Dr, Clarksville, TN 37040

Judges: TBD (but thinking about asking some Local Game Wardens (Face time is never a bad time since they are going to be the ones busting some of you) or members of the fire department (yes those guys whom you don't think about until you need them) to judge the event.

What started off as a fun idea I would like to turn into a charity event unless their are objections. Couple days ago there was a House Fire in Clarksville and the family lost everything. The father received serious burns and is now legally blind. His wife along with their 4 children (12 yr. old boy, 8 yr. old boy, 7 yr. old boy, 3 yr. old girl) lost everything. They have asked for anything anyone is willing to donate for them.

That being said I would like to ask that those who would like to participate in this event please let me know so that we can

1. Gage interest

2. Plan accordingly

I would like to raise money for this family. If at all possible, I would like to open this up to the public somehow and find another other ways to turn a fun night with friends into a fun night we can help a family in need. I'm open to thoughts, criticism, or encouragement. Thanks

Also, If you are in the Clarksville area and would like to donate items to these folks please contact me so we can arrange a time to meet. I will update this as more information unfolds. Thanks everyone.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest adamoxtwo

This being a bad weekend becasue I am obligated to kill a deer, but Sometime we should see about getting together locally (perhaps over a beer or three) and see about how we can tackle this monkey. Thoughts?

Fort Campbell and Cross Creeks I think has youth hunts that weekend. If not, lets meet (you, myself and whiskey) and plan this thing out. To me, that would be the best shot. Maybe plan it for January (National Chili Eating Month), as all deer hunting will be over. Most everyone will have a deer by then.

Yes, indeed. I'm going to contact a couple game warden friends of mine and some Firefighters and invite as judges. January gives us plenty of time. In the mean time....lets get something set up to help that family that got burned out the other day. I can make a decent donation on the first of the month. If you have information for that, lets post it and see if we can get our "TGO Brothers and Sisters" involved. Clothes, cash or something! I think we just all need a POC....

Guest adamoxtwo

I will talk to my SF Brothers at the church they are the ones who first told me and have been the POC to date. I Sunday we are going to bring in whatever we can Material wise so that we can help that way. Kitchen Supplies (since they literally have nothing) cleaning supplies (because anyone who has eve moved knows that is the stuff the kills you at the register) since they have little ones. I'm not sure where I should put that on TGO to ask for Support. What do you think?

I will talk to my SF Brothers at the church they are the ones who first told me and have been the POC to date. I Sunday we are going to bring in whatever we can Material wise so that we can help that way. Kitchen Supplies (since they literally have nothing) cleaning supplies (because anyone who has eve moved knows that is the stuff the kills you at the register) since they have little ones. I'm not sure where I should put that on TGO to ask for Support. What do you think?

Maybe get with the Mod's and see if they can spread it out over the forum. I'm sure they would want more details, names of banks and what not. Has anyone at your church got them in contact with the Red Cross? That should be step one. Maybe we can help through the church. I think this is things that should be shared to everyone.

Guest adamoxtwo

I should have something in the next couple of days reference the items that the family has received and instructions how to make monetary donations. I would like to see about possibly getting a deer for this family as well. I will check to see if the family would accept venison (some folks just don't like it). For everyone who is interested in helping this family I greatly appreciate it. I couldn't imagine going through this myself. I would hope there was enough people in my community that would help me. There has been a lot of support so far but they are not out of the woods yet.

Guest adamoxtwo

Alright so i have an update on this family. I am going to deliver a Washer/Dryer bedroom set and some clothes for the family today. Once I get there I will be able to inquire as to their biggest needs. I know people asked about Cash donations, but I don't have an answer for that yet. Apparently, they are a proud couple and feel uncomfortable asking for anything. This is more of a case of people doing the right thing and giving what is needed for a family. All I know so far is that the family name is Smith. I will get more details later today when I get back. I will be on my phone today if anyone has any questions. Feel free to email me with comments or questions. Petious@gmail.com Thanks again.

WD, 101 Where would you recommend this as a donation thread? Of do you think that we can start a Donations thread somewhere on the main forum page? Just a thought.

Guest adamoxtwo

Had a delay today. We couldn't gather up everything in time to meet them today, but they will be getting a shipment tonight around 2130. So that is great news! Ok so far we have determined a need for a Freezer for the family. Doesn't have to be pretty but must work (we don't want to compound anything by giving them something that they can't use or doesn't work properly). Some of these are cheap enough used that some of us have thought about purchasing a used one for the family. I would be willing to donate for that cause. I'm not sure how much room they have, but will take a look and let you all know. I am going to scan Craigslist for some things for them as well.