Beware of hot ammo

Guest Big-A

I dont know why anyone would buy russian steel ammo at $9.00 a box when you can find brass cased Fiocchi and other brands all day long online at $10 per box. Now if that Steel crap was $6.00 i could understand.

Where are you finding Fiocchi at $10/box? The best I can find is $11.49. I can get Tula 9mm for $167.99/case or $8.40/box. So far, I've run several thousands of rounds of Wolf and Tula through pistols and submachineguns without any issues. I'm still waiting for a misfire. As for being hot, it's only a hair slower than Winchester White box, and about as consistent. The Tula does smell funny, though.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I tried 300 rounds of Academy Monarch 9mm brass which was a buck cheaper per 50 compared to Wallyworld Federal 9mm. I think the Monarch is Tula but may be remembering wrong. They also have steel case Monarch a little cheaper. Haven't tried that.

It had a funny smell and was dirty, and would get a light shower of hot grit coming back on my arms. No big deal but after shooting all day there were lots of little black specs all over my arms.

The Monarch brass 9mm gave the impression of possibly being less accurate than wallyworld Federal or Win 9mm, but I'm routinely inaccurate and that may be a false impression. Maybe will try some more of the Monarch, but dunno if it is worth just saving a dollar per box and stimulating the economy of Eastern Europe rather than USA.

• 1 month later...
Guest 556or762

Tula is the new imported name for Wolf supposedly they ran into some importing issues same stuff same factory. I have bought Monarch of all varietys from Academy as well and the brass case .223fmj is actually Prvi Partisan ammo so it is an excellent buy. I recently purchased some of the steel case without reading it very carefully and while Wolf and Tula are Non- Corrosive there is no such indication on the steel case Monarch and it has the old green laquer coated cases. I fired several rounds of the Monarch steel case and I believe it is corrosive I get a bad film in my barrel after shooting it so I have stopped doing so but Wolf and Tula are here to stay for me they work great. As far as the Tula 9mm goes I have even shot it at IDPA fun shoots works fine for me.

Tula is the new imported name for Wolf supposedly ...

Tula is the name of the Russian city and the factory IN that city, which has been making ammo for 130 years. It and Ulyanovsk make the majority of Russian ammo, maybe all of it for all I know.

Wolf is the US importer of various ammo made around the world, including from the Tula factory.

You've been able to buy Tula for a long time under the simple "Tula" name, most often seen in sealed ammo spam cans. The "TulaAmmo" is just their change in packaging and contractual branding.

You can of course also still buy Wolf ammunition, in some calibers and loadings, exactly the same as the TulaAmmo.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

FWIW,

Tula and Wolf ammo are NOT the same ammo.

It's a rumor and WOLF ammo is trying their best to ride this rumor.

It's posted on their web site and in a .PDF file.

http://www.wolfammo.com/pdf/WOLF_Packaging_Alert.pdf

Feel free to print out the above .PDF

Feel even more free to hand it out to the ammo expert at the local gun show.

As far as Tula ammo goes, I've never shot it personally.

FWIW,

Tula and Wolf ammo are NOT the same ammo.

It's a rumor and WOLF ammo is trying their best to ride this rumor.

It's posted on their web site and in a .PDF file.

http://www.wolfammo.com/pdf/WOLF_Packaging_Alert.pdf

Feel free to print out the above .PDF

Feel even more free to hand it out to the ammo expert at the local gun show.

As far as Tula ammo goes, I've never shot it personally....

Splitting hairs, read between the lines. From that PDF:

"It has been brought to our attention that the listed Brands have had ammunition with the

WOLF headstamp in their packaging."

That's because it's produced in same plants (Tula and/or Ulyanovsk). Got mixed up in packaging.

"If you are in possession of this mislabeled product, please call WOLF"

Mislabeling is the difference, not necessarily the ammo's makeup.

Wolf is concerned with the marketing and branding above all. Wolf has no factory.

- OS

Splitting hairs, read between the lines. From that PDF:

"It has been brought to our attention that the listed Brands have had ammunition with the

WOLF headstamp in their packaging."

That's because it's produced in same plants (Tula and/or Ulyanovsk). Got mixed up in packaging.

"If you are in possession of this mislabeled product, please call WOLF"

Mislabeling is the difference, not necessarily the ammo's makeup.

Wolf is concerned with the marketing and branding above all. Wolf has no factory.

- OS

I researched this farther and it looks like at one time....in the past, Wolf did contract with TulAmmo.

TulAmmo is no longer making ammo for Wolf. ( I have heard rumors why, but I don't like to spread rumors)

I was wrong in that Wolf and Tula are not the same.....if it's old ammo it may be Tula/Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works.

But the NEWER ammo is not made or produced by Tula or the Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works.

That maybe why the headstamp/brands are mixed up?

According to TulAmmo:

The Tula and Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works no longer support or produce any of the “Wolf†brands of ammunition.

I found this information at: tulammousa.com - Front page, bottom left.

Again, I not trying start an argument. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this rumor.

So please don't take any of this the wrong way.

I even went as far to call Tulammo, but all I got was a voice mail to some lady. (Lisa? something)

....According to TulAmmo:

The Tula and Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works no longer support or produce any of the “Wolf” brands of ammunition....

Well, that seems pretty definitive then, guess I have been opining based on outdated info. Thanks for pointing that out on the TulaAmmo site.

So, must be Barnaul, forgot about them, that's the third biggie over there. Dunno why Wolf plays this so close to the vest though. I guess like in US, corporate allegiances and contracts change; sounds sort of like Tula and Wolf may not have had such an amicable separation.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I bought some of this ammo last weekend....

It would NOT fire in a Norinco 213 (9mm) - The primers were to hard.

We did manage to get it to fire 3 times but 95% of the rounds would not fire.

We went back and ran 50 rounds of Federal BRASS cases ammo.

All fired 100%, I assuming that at least the federal rounds had SOFTER primers.

We then fired 50 rounds or the Tulammo through a CZ 75B, all rounds fired 100%.

I was actually pretty impressed with the accuracy.

The ammo was much dirtier than any ammo I have used before and had a slight sulfur like smell. (think eggs)

It was how ever, very easy to clean.

Also, I did NOT notice any abnormal wear to the feed ramp or the extractor.

As for the firing pin and peening issues, I don't know.

It is not all that easy or fast (compared to my Glock) to take the firing pin out of a CZ.

I bought some of this ammo last weekend....It would NOT fire in a Norinco 213 (9mm) - The primers were to hard.We did manage to get it to fire 3 times but 95% of the rounds would not fire.We went back and ran 50 rounds of Federal BRASS cases ammo.All fired 100%, I assuming that at least the federal rounds had SOFTER primers.We then fired 50 rounds or the Tulammo through a CZ 75B, all rounds fired 100%.I was actually pretty impressed with the accuracy. The ammo was much dirtier than any ammo I have used before and had a slight sulfur like smell. (think eggs)It was how ever, very easy to clean.Also, I did NOT notice any abnormal wear to the feed ramp or the extractor.As for the firing pin and peening issues, I don't know. It is not all that easy or fast (compared to my Glock) to take the firing pin out of a CZ.
Steel cases seem to do the most damage to the magazine lips (steel on steel) and extractor claw. If the gun is made to take it, or just generlly tough or well built, thousands of rounds of steel will do little -- a few thousand rounds of it in my makarov has done little, one magazine is now a bit damage and I had to polish a nick out of part of the slide that skims over the next round in the magazine. A few rounds of steel does little, it takes many before steel on steel wears something thin enough to notice and even more if the parts in question are well polished. Feed ramps should not take much of a hit, most of that is bullet on ramp action and the lip of the case should slide right over the slick ramp doing little to no harm. The other issue is any coating on the steel, some of them can build up in the chamber and create jams, so clean it up each time.

tula? i have a S&W 4006... i went to the local walmart and purchased some winchester white box .40S&W ... i asked about the tula ammo and he said he wouldnt fire it out of a highpoint lol so i went with a 100 round box of winchester white box... went to the range and had numerious FTE and even a few stove pipes.... so... next week went back and purchased 2 boxes of the tula... went to the range and loaded up a few mags... went thru like a charm... shot 100 rounds without a hick up... if thay are hot loads maybe thats what my 4006 needs.... but i'll be buying tula from now on for plinking :D