New Addition

Adamant

It has been a few years since I have bought a brand new gun. I have fondled and oogled over this guy for several months now. I finally adopted him on Monday. Hope to take it out Sunday and give it a work out. Special thanks to Steve Silvers at Silvers Firearms in Old Fort Tn. He has a great selection and best prices within 50 miles of Chattanooga!!

What have you guys done to customize your P3AT?

091420112018.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my P3AT and use it most of the time for my EDC. It is so easy to carry, you forget it is there. I added the finger extension to one magazine and the +1 extension to the other. The +1 serves as a great finger extension with the added benefit of having another round, so I will probably add antother +1 to my other magazine. I primarily use a pocket holster in front or rear strong side, but occasionally carry it with the belt clip, in a tuckable holster or with a belly band type holster.

I just saw a really cool laser for it from laserlyte that is much lower profile than all of the others I have seen.....and it was under $100. Only negative I see is that you lose the belt clip option.

These little guns can be picky on ammo and I would advise you do a fluff and buff as soon as you can.

Enjoy the P3AT!

In 'public' I mostly carry mine either in a homemade pocket holster (which I made to be able to also carry a spare mag) or in a FOBUS. Even in the FOBUS carried OWB it is so small that it will disappear under just a t-shirt. I did find that with the grips against my skin the rather aggressive 'checkering' rubbed my side like sandpaper but a trimmed Hogue Handall Jr. solved that problem as well as making it easier/more comfortable to shoot (unless I am mistaken, Pachmayr now has a slip-on grip sleeve made specifically for the LCP, P3AT, etc. and last I heard Hogue was planning to release one.) The mag I carry in the gun has the 'pinky extension' while the spare mag has the flat, factory baseplate just because it carries better in the aforementioned pocket holster that way. I haven't tried a +1 extension but I do have one of the 9 round extended mags that Kel Tec sells (also extends the grip.) The length of that mag would defeat the purpose of a small carry gun if carried in it, IMO, but it could make a pretty good backup/spare mag for carry. One of these days I have to remember to take pics of my P3AT in its current configuration but as of right now I don't have any.

Generally speaking, I can't stand IWB carry but I have found that I can do okay - at least for short periods of time - with carrying the P3AT in a belly band worn a little low so that the grips are positioned just above the waistband of my pants as they would be in most IWB holsters. At home, I often carry the P3AT that way under loose fitting shorts with an elastic waistband. With a t-shirt tucked in under the P3AT/belly band and a button up (dress) shirt tucked in over it, I have also used that method for carrying at a friend's wedding and a funeral for another friend's grandmother. It was completely hidden and no one 'made' me despite hugs being given and received, etc. I don't/wouldn't use the belt clip (my own, personal and somewhat contrarian opinion is that clips are for carrying ink pens and pocket knives - and I'm not so sure about the pocket knives) but it seems to work fine for those who do use/like it.

Edited by JAB

Adamant, is that a hard chrome gun or is it blued and just the lighting makes it look like HC?

I forgot to mention grips in my post above. Without a grip or mag extension, the gun is not very fun to shoot IMO. With either of those, it gets much better. I also use the Handall Jr grip sometimes, depending on how I carry. I don't like the feel of it when I carry. There has been some talk on thektog.org site about Tractiongrips. I will probably be trying those soon, but with a magazine extension, the grip really does not bother me too much.

I have the blued finish and really wish I had gone with hard chrome. I would love to find someone local to cera coat or refinish in hard chrome, but I don't know of anyone in middle TN and I don't want to mail it off. On the pinky extension, with the +1 I don't really notice a difference in my pocket. The curved pinky extension does seem to print worse than the +1.....at least with my pocket holster.

I regret selling my P3AT sometimes. It was a good little pocket rocket. I've got a Polish P64 that I can carry if even my 442 is too big for the occasion. Though the P64 is even more unpleasant to shoot than the P3AT was.

The curved 'pinky extension' makes no noticeable difference in any of the methods I have used to carry the P3AT. I do find the spare mag easier to carry with just the flat base plate and not only in the pocket holster. In fact if I am carrying the P3AT in its FOBUS I have found that the spare mag will fit into the nylon belt sheath that came with a cheapo Winchester mini multi-tool I got at Walmart. With the flat baseplate, there is enough room for the velcro that holds the flap down to fasten. With the pinky extension, not so much.

I regret selling my P3AT sometimes. It was a good little pocket rocket. I've got a Polish P64 that I can carry if even my 442 is too big for the occasion. Though the P64 is even more unpleasant to shoot than the P3AT was.

Trade it in on a real makarov (pistol design, not caliber). The 64 bites the hand more with felt recoil and has a stout da trigger pull. I am not a fan of the 63s and 64s.