Tricked out Glocks

Guest msparks

So I got this Glock that I really didn't want. It's a 22 that I traded a buddy that was low on cash so he could come with me to a business convention. I gave him 6 months to pay me back....It looks like the Glock will be mine soon according to our agreement.

What I'm thinking I want to do is make it into a 23 sized grip with the full length barrel. I also want to send the barrel in to be machined, and re-coated in a chrome finish. and since I'm at it, might as well change the sights.

Anyone else done these mods? Would love to see your results.

Edited by msparks
spelling
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Victor9er

For the handle, talk to tercel89 he did the same thing, except he cut his a little shorter than what you want to go. But he can give you some advice on the process I'm sure:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/60234-my-g22-grip-chop-down-g27.html

For the barrel you might want to check out Lone Wolf... they do custom engraving and coatings and stuff.

Lone Wolf Distributors - Main Page

For the handle, talk to tercel89 he did the same thing, except he cut his a little shorter than what you want to go. But he can give you some advice on the process I'm sure:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/60234-my-g22-grip-chop-down-g27.html

For the barrel you might want to check out Lone Wolf... they do custom engraving and coatings and stuff.

Lone Wolf Distributors - Main Page

I thought about a 27 sized gun. I really enjoy the 26 since I can use a flat mag, an extension, a 19 or even a 17 mag. Very versatile.

I had gotten a quote from glockworx.com to do some stuff. They look like they can do it all! Will check out Lone Wolf

Guest Victor9er
I thought about a 27 sized gun. I really enjoy the 26 since I can use a flat mag, an extension, a 19 or even a 17 mag. Very versatile.

I had gotten a quote from glockworx.com to do some stuff. They look like they can do it all! Will check out Lone Wolf

Yeah, I don't like the size of the 27 personally... but some people do. The 26/19 size is just about perfect for me. You wouldn't have to cut it down as far as he did but the process would be the same, like I said I'm sure he could give you some good pointers on doing it.

Edit: I meant the 23 not the 26... sorry.

Edited by Victor9er
Yeah, I don't like the size of the 27 personally... but some people do. The 26/19 size is just about perfect for me. You wouldn't have to cut it down as far as he did but the process would be the same, like I said I'm sure he could give you some good pointers on doing it.

26 and 27 are the same size. I think you might be referring to the 19 /23. I personally don't mind the 26/27. Especially like I said you can use any of the .40 magazines. Sometimes when I OWB carry I will put a flat 10 rounder in my 26, other times when I carry "mexican" I use a +2 baseplate, and then carry a 19 magazine. When I go to the range I will bring some 17 mags.

Anyhow, looks like it would cost me about $440 to get what I want done. Might do it as a Christmas present to myself instead of getting something new.

If you really want to chrome the barrel you could soak it for 3hrs in white vinegar and then rub it with something like mag wheel cleaner. A dremel really speeds it up to. It will make it about as chrome as you can imagine. I have done it to one of mine with no problems. I would just cut the grip myself by the way, just take off a little at a time.

I have a fully polished Glock 17 slide and barrel, chroming a tenifer finished Glock slide and barrel is gilding the lily. Just polish the slide and barrel with successive grits of wet/dry paper up to 2000+ grit once you have the black finish off.

The tenifer is the chemical treatment of the Glock slide and barrel itself, inside and out. The black stuff has nothing to do with the steel treatment. If you take your time and don't get aggressive the tenifer treated steel will shine like chrome yet be extremely rust resistant.

Cutting the 22 grip to 23 length is not a problem either. Figure out how much you want to cut then wrap a piece of tape evenly around the grip to provided a nice line. Take your Dremel cutoff wheel and slowly whack the excess. If you leave more than you need (which is a good idea) shave the thing to fit with a large dremel sanding drum. Just don't clean up any of the fuzz and stuff with an exacto knife like tercel89 did. I personally know tercel89. It is easier and more controllable to use a dremel with a small smoother sanding wheel. I have cut a 17 to 19. I also just purchased an Austrian proof marked Gen 3 G19 that a dog got a hold of and trimmed the bottom a bit then stippled to make the handle useful and not too ugly.

If you want a neat and cheap to shoot Glock 22, then you may want to get a stainless Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for the 22 (save yourself some polishing time).

Guest Victor9er
26 and 27 are the same size. I think you might be referring to the 19 /23. I personally don't mind the 26/27. Especially like I said you can use any of the .40 magazines. Sometimes when I OWB carry I will put a flat 10 rounder in my 26, other times when I carry "mexican" I use a +2 baseplate, and then carry a 19 magazine. When I go to the range I will bring some 17 mags.

Anyhow, looks like it would cost me about $440 to get what I want done. Might do it as a Christmas present to myself instead of getting something new.

Oops.. you're right I meant the 23/19... my bad.

I have a fully polished Glock 17 slide and barrel, chroming a tenifer finished Glock slide and barrel is gilding the lily. Just polish the slide and barrel with successive grits of wet/dry paper up to 2000+ grit once you have the black finish off.

Any trouble with rust? Since it isn't stainless?

tenifer finish is a nitrite process that increases the hardness of the steel to about 68 Rockwell. This process makes the steel, in my estimation, better than stainless. I don't take obsessive of my Glocks and the "shiney MPDC G17" has not shown an rust. Stop down at TN Gun Country between 0930 -1700 tomorrow and I will show it to you.

So I got this Glock that I really didn't want. It's a 22 that I traded a buddy that was low on cash so he could come with me to a business convention. I gave him 6 months to pay me back....It looks like the Glock will be mine soon according to our agreement.

What I'm thinking I want to do is make it into a 23 sized grip with the full length barrel. I also want to send the barrel in to be machined, and re-coated in a chrome finish. and since I'm at it, might as well change the sights.

Anyone else done these mods? Would love to see your results.

Hi there , I did this to my G22 RTF just a few months ago . I had a G22 with the RTF texture . I had previously sanded down the RTF because it was really abrassive to me . I was like you , I had an extra gun that I wanted to do something "diffferent" to .

So I sanded the RTF until it was smooth . It looked kind weird but felt GREAT! Then I decided to cut the grip length down from the fullsize 22 to the size of a G27/26 . I measured and measured and used my G27 frame as a guide and a magazine from the G27 as a guide and I made it fit the G27 magazine flush .

Here is a picture . I used a Dremel to do the rough cutting and then used an "Exacto" knife or "hobby" knife to do the fine cutting . BE CAREFULL , I ran the Exacto knife into my hand and had stitches put in !

Let me know if you need any help . I am glad to help . Also Graycrait on here is a fine Glock smith . He has LOTS of knowledge with modifying Glocks . The way it is now , with the fullsize slide and sub-compact frame is AWESOME!!!!! I will never sell this gun !!!!

Also , if you want the barrel to be shiny like Chrome , then goto Advance Auto or Autozone , they are everywhere here (you live in my town ) and get some "Mother's Aluminum " wheel polish . It is a white colored polish and used a Dremel with a polishing wheel that has cloth on it . It will take about an hour or two to do the barrel but it will turn out good and it is a lot cheaper than sending it to someone . THis will not cause it to rust . The Tenifer treatment is inside the metal , therefore it wont hurt anything .

001.jpg

Edited by tercel89
Hi there , I did this to my G22 RTF just a few months ago . I had a G22 with the RTF texture . I had previously sanded down the RTF because it was really abrassive to me . I was like you , I had an extra gun that I wanted to do something "diffferent" to .

So I sanded the RTF until it was smooth . It looked kind weird but felt GREAT! Then I decided to cut the grip length down from the fullsize 22 to the size of a G27/26 . I measured and measured and used my G27 frame as a guide and a magazine from the G27 as a guide and I made it fit the G27 magazine flush .

Here is a picture . I used a Dremel to do the rough cutting and then used an "Exacto" knife or "hobby" knife to do the fine cutting . BE CAREFULL , I ran the Exacto knife into my hand and had stitches put in !

Let me know if you need any help . I am glad to help . Also Graycrait on here is a fine Glock smith . He has LOTS of knowledge with modifying Glocks . The way it is now , with the fullsize slide and sub-compact frame is AWESOME!!!!! I will never sell this gun !!!!

Also , if you want the barrel to be shiny like Chrome , then goto Advance Auto or Autozone , they are everywhere here (you live in my town ) and get some "Mother's Aluminum " wheel polish . It is a white colored polish and used a Dremel with a polishing wheel that has cloth on it . It will take about an hour or two to do the barrel but it will turn out good and it is a lot cheaper than sending it to someone . THis will not cause it to rust . The Tenifer treatment is inside the metal , therefore it wont hurt anything .

Thanks for post, very good job too! If I decide to keep it, I'm going to do this at least. Also might try my hand at stippling, since mine is a gen 2 smooth side frame.

Thanks for post, very good job too! If I decide to keep it, I'm going to do this at least. Also might try my hand at stippling, since mine is a gen 2 smooth side frame.

WOW a Gen 2 !!! If you do the grip chop like I did with your Gen 2 smooth grip it would be the ultimate gun ! At least for me ! . I would leave the stippling alone . The smooth grip rocks for me . Let me and others know how it goes and comes along . Let me know if you need any help and thanks for the compliment .