Help needed with writing a letter

I'm pretty sure I've seen something on this topic posted before but I didn't find anything with a quick search. Forgive me if it has and please post a link.

I want to write a letter to the Osaka restaurant in Collierville asking them to remove there posted sign. I thought they had removed it there for a while but it turns out they just had it covered up with a flyer. I was going to speak with the manager in person but I believe I could convey my point a little better in a well written letter. That is where I need your help. I have never done this before so I need a few tips on format and specific topics or cases I could use to present my argument. Any sample letters would be helpful too. I know basically what to put in the letter but again this is my first time and I want it be as well written as possible. Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Victor9er

EDIT: Ok, so I revised my original version a little taking into consideration some of the suggestions made and here's the new one. Obviously you'll want to replace the titles with the actual person's name and company but this should work for most restaurant situations, and I'm sure could easily be edited for something else...

(Manager/Owner's Name)

(Manager/Owner)

(Name of Business)

First, I would like to say how much I like the food and service at your restaurant. My family and friends all enjoy your establishment and would love to continue to support your business. Unfortunately something has come to my attention that may prevent me from returning to your fine establishment. I am writing this letter to you in hopes that this issue can be addressed.

On my last visit I saw that you have a "no handguns allowed" sign posted at your entrance prohibiting any carrying of firearms in your building. While I understand your concern and respect your right to post such a notice, I would like to try to convince you to reconsider this policy. You see, I am a lawful owner of a handgun carry permit... something that I've gotten to protect myself and my family from criminals that would wish to do us harm. I realize that there is a negative spin on firearms in general, unfair as it may be. And I realize that your policy is an attempt to protect your business and your customers from any unlawful criminals.

But you should ask yourself something... does that sign really prevent a criminal from entering your building with a gun? Will a person, intent on breaking the law to rob and/or murder someone, really stop at the front door and decide not to enter because there's a sign that says "no handguns"? The answer is a resounding NO. That sign on your door offers you no protection from the criminal element whatsoever.

So then, who are you really preventing from entering your building with that sign? Lawful citizens, such as myself, that choose to carry handguns with a valid permit. Lawful citizens who would walk up to your door, see the sign, and turn around and walk away because they do not want to break any laws. Lawful citizens that could potentially be armed inside your building in the event it was ever threatened by a criminal. Ask yourself this... as a criminal which would you rather attempt a robbery at. A building with a "no guns" sign posted where you know no one else is armed... or a building without that sign where you have no idea if there's anyone else with a gun or how many there are?

Keep in mind that anyone who receives a handgun carry permit must first go through an extensive background check from three separate departments, including the FBI. Also, by law anyone applying for a handgun carry permit must first complete a firearm safety/training course approved by the state.

In addition, as you may or may not be aware, the law pertaining to handguns not being allowed inside of a restaurant that serves alcohol has been amended under TCA 39-17-1305 which now makes it legal to possess a firearm inside of a restaurant serving alcohol provided that the person carrying does not consume alcohol. This is covered in the above mentioned class with all applicants as well.

I encourage you to take this all into consideration, and to realize how many potential customers are turned away every day from your sign posting. I know as a business owner there are many things for you to consider before making any decision each and every day. I hope that I have provided you with some insight, and perhaps a different perspective, that will help you to decide on this issue. I look forward to your response and thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

(Your Name)

Edited by Victor9er
Guest RobThatsMe

You may want to add a few words about the fact that: in order for you to obtain your permit, you had a thorough background check performed, completed a handgun carry course, and passed the written, and hands-on testing. Also, that as a permit holder, it is illegal for you to drink or be under the influence of alcohol.

Guest RobThatsMe
You may want to add a few words about the fact that: in order for you to obtain your permit, you had a thorough background check performed, completed a handgun carry course, and passed the written, and hands-on testing. Also, that as a permit holder, it is illegal for you to drink or be under the influence of alcohol.

Should have added this..."Also, that as a permit holder, it is illegal for you to drink or be under the influence of alcohol WHEN CARRYING"

Guest Victor9er

Thanks guys, I don't mind if it gets a sticky. I may go back and re-write it adding in a few things mentioned above. After I posted I thought about the law change where previously restaurants that served alcohol had to post, but it's since been changed.

Obviously you want to provide as much information in your favor as possible but at the same time you don't want to bog the letter down with a bunch of facts or bombard the reader with so much stuff that they lose interest half-way through. I'll think about it some more and see what I can do to add a little more into it and re-post it later.

:)

I have sent this letter to several restaurants or corporate. I have received a positive response from the majority of them. Even if they don't change their policy their responses seem to make it seem as though they agree.

I just wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed the food and atmosphere in your restaurants. It is among the best I have had in a very, very long time. We would regularly and eat in your restaurant, enjoying our time there. Even today we discussed the time we have spent eating at your restaurant and how much we miss it. Unfortunately, I will not be entering your restaurants any more over a policy of yours.

I recently noticed that you do not allow those who are legally allowed to carry firearms to enter your restaurant in XXXXXXXXXX, Tennessee. I understand you and your managers are trying to protect the patrons. But putting up signs preventing firearms from entering only prevents those who follow the law, and not the armed criminals, from entering. A criminal intent on doing harm to your patrons will not respect the manager’s wishes. A criminal is not going to abide by a posted sign at the entrance of the restaurant. The criminal is not going to have a change of heart when they see the sign. If anything these signs only serves as a beacon to these armed criminals that they will be met with less resistance within your restaurants because they do prohibit firearms.

Firearms are not inherently dangerous, nor are those that are legally allowed to carry them. A holstered firearm is no more dangerous than the cell phone in your pocket. And as a matter of fact, most other patrons would never know another patron was in fact armed with a firearm. And just to make you aware, every handgun carry permit holder in Tennessee has undergone a very in depth background criminal investigation. They have also had extensive training on the use their firearm and have been tested with it to ensure their competency. This is all done before receiving the authority to carry a firearm as well as to ensure the safety of the public.

I do not expect this to change your policy but hopefully it will make you think

Dolomite