most accurate .22 for price

sam

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much more accurate is a bolt .22 over a semi-auto? Don't people build tack-driving 10/22s?

Yes they do but they will have above the cost of a CZ in them before they will shoot as well as a CZ. It takes a lot of work to make a 10/22 consistent which is the name of the game.

My 10//22 has shot sub 1" groups at 100 yards using ammo it likes. I also have about $600 in in plus probably a dozen man hours in the gun. I do my own trigger using factory parts and I am able to get a reliable 1-2 pound trigger. In the trigger group alone I have at least $50 in shims, springs and other parts. I also have at least 3 hours of fitting and test firing. The bolt has been headspaced and chamfered as well as the firing pin pinned. That helps to reduce the flyers. The barrel is a match barrel that I have lapped the bore and polished the chamber to help with reliability and accuracy. The action was bedded in the stock using Devcon Steel Putty. That normally takes a few hours to prep and the Devcon costs $40+ a pound. I have a adjustable V-block to help keep the barrel consistent in the receiver.

So yes you can have a 10/22 as accurate as a CZ but it will cost you a lot more than a CZ.

Dolomite

$400 or so will get you a CZ 452.

Go to ANY (don't believe me....try it) silhouette rimfire competition in the US and see what people are shooting. If you count 1000 rifles...700+ will be a CZ 452. You may stumble across something better if you are lucky, but by far the most consistent bet is the CZ

Hmmm. A Winchester Wildcat will hold it's own all day long with a CZ452, for about ½ the price.

Never shot the Savage, but I hear nothing but good things.

My personal preferenec is the Winchester bull-barrel model. It's actually boring to shoot, it's that accurate. 1" 100yd groups are a regular occurrance on a windless day. You've actually got to try to shoot it badly.

Hmmm. A Winchester Wildcat will hold it's own all day long with a CZ452, for about ½ the price.

Never shot the Savage, but I hear nothing but good things.

I will have to respectfully disagree. Head over to rimfirecentral and just read the comments on all of the brands. CZ is by far the most popular for a reason. Quality for Cost. The Winchester may be a fine little gun, but the fit and finish isn't anywhere near as good.

The Savage is an excellent value, but again, fit and finish leave something to be desired. In my opinion, the CZ will hold it's value better as well. A well kept CZ will always bring more than a Winchester Wildcat or Savage. Savage and CZ accuracy will both be excellent, you just have to find what ammo your rifle likes.

The Savage is an excellent value, but again, fit and finish leave something to be desired. In my opinion, the CZ will hold it's value better as well. A well kept CZ will always bring more than a Winchester Wildcat or Savage. Savage and CZ accuracy will both be excellent, you just have to find what ammo your rifle likes.

And the OPs question was about the "most accurate .22 for price". At about half the price of the CZ, I would say the Savage meets the criteria the best.

And the OPs question was about the "most accurate .22 for price". At about half the price of the CZ, I would say the Savage meets the criteria the best.

I don't agree that a Savage is half the cost of a CZ. A Mark II TR is around $400 as well. A CZ can be had for the same price. There are Savages that can be bought for $300, but I don't think they are half the cost of a CZ. I agree they can both be equally accurate, but the far superior fit and finish is worth the extra $100 to me. I realize that may not be important to everyone, but is something to consider.

I don't agree that a Savage is half the cost of a CZ. A Mark II TR is around $400 as well. A CZ can be had for the same price. There are Savages that can be bought for $300, but I don't think they are half the cost of a CZ. I agree they can both be equally accurate, but the far superior fit and finish is worth the extra $100 to me. I realize that may not be important to everyone, but is something to consider.

I paid about $240 for my Mark II .17hmr earlier this year. They had a .22LR sitting right beside it for the same price. It is the heavy barrel, wood stock version. Bud's has them now for $257. The comparable CZ is $406. Around here, the CZs sticker price is between $450 and $500.

Again, don't get me wrong. The CZ is probably the better rifle in nearly every aspect. I have a .22 WMR 452 that is fantastic. It is a better rifle (fit, finish, wood quality, etc) than a comparable Savage, but not necessarily more accurate. Price vs accuracy, Savage wins

Edited by quietguy
Another +1 here for the CZ452, though if price was a HUGE issue, you would be quite satisfied with the Savage Mark II as well.

There have been two of them go though a well known TN classified service just this week for $350 ...for the walnut american version.

Wal Mart can still get anyone who can buy one a CZ trainer with the birch stock and non mauser sights for well under $300 out the door...ask for their order catalog.

Having had the good fortune to shoot everything from an Anschutz Super Match to old Crackshots I think for the money it is hard to beat a Marlin. I picked up a new XT-22 with the Pro-Fire trigger for less than 200.00. I like tube fed guns so that I can cycle everything from 20grain Colibras to 60grain Aguilla SSS.

Guest bubruins

Funny you say that. I picked up a $80 Marlin 25N that I shoot with as well as the Savage MkII BTV that I once owned. The only differences are that the MkII was easier to get to that point with and others could shoot it nearly that well. Also, the $80 gun is considerably easier to carry around because of weight and disregard for scratches, etc...