Ruger MKIII Soft Resets

I've been experiencing soft resets on my Ruger Mark III. It has the following aftermarket parts, all others being stock:

VQ sear

VQ adjustable target trigger

VQ firing pin

VQ extractor

I've tried adding more pre-travel into the trigger, but that hasn't helped (my thinking being that allowing more forward travel after a shot might aid the disconnnector in popping forward). This failure is to the point that a bump to the upper, or a gentle forward press to the trigger is often (~20%) required to get a full reset. Any thoughts from those in the know? All I can think of is a shot of gunscrubber, and maybe some graphite in contact areas, but before I do that with a very clean upper, I'd like to hear from the members on this one. The disconnector is not currently lubed with anything that could cause binding. There is no oil present in the ignition parts, only a light grease on the bolt.

FWIW, I doubt this is lubrication related, but all suggestions that can save me some time in fixing the issue are welcome.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you installed the target trigger did you remember to put the little plunger back in with the spring? Or you might have accidentally put the sear spring in backwards but I'm thinking more of a missing or gummed up trigger return spring.

Edited by gnmwilliams

I've "tuned" up maybe 10 MKIIs and MKIII 22/45s.

If it is light striking then it is the firing pin and/or FP spring. You didn't change the spring so it must be the FP. Put the stock firing pin back in and see what happens. Maybe the new FP isn't long enough for your gun?

What kind of MKIII? 22/45 or standard steel frame? What type of sear spring are you using? "U" shaped or short leg/long leg?