Need advice on raising cheek rest height

SKINDOG

I've had my rifle for about a year now and I haven't had too many opportunities to shoot it until recently. I've started to realize that I can't accurately shoot my rifle due to a few small problems. The cheek rest height is definitely the most frustrating of these. When I go to look through the scope my jawbone is resting on the cheek rest. I know I need to raise it up so that my cheek bone rests comfortably on the stock at a position where I can open my eye and see perfectly through the scope. I've seen a few different options for raising the height of the cheek rest and I was wanting some personal input from experienced shooters. There are two main solutions that I can see right now. One is buying a strap on cheek rest with adjustable foam inserts. This option doesn't seem to be the most stable and the foam would probably deteriorate over time. The other option is carving a piece of wood with nails or studs on the bottom to the correct height and putting a strap on cheek rest over that. I don't like this option too much because it would devalue my rifle. I don't have much money right now, so I need a cheap way of doing this. Any personal experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did this on my AK w/ collapsible m4 style stock: bought a piece of foam waterpipe insulation, and strapped it on with cable ties. Has held up well, about 1-1/2 years. Not sure about a wood stock, though, especially the cable ties. Maybe foam pad under an elastic butt-cuff?

Anyway, trying something like this will help you better select a more permanent/expensive solution later.

Guest Plainsman

Not sure what kind of stock you have, but a lot of folks give these good reviews...

Karsten's Custom Camo

I currently have one of the slip on neoprene ones with the foam inserts that seems to work fairly well, but then again I really don't shoot that gun a whole lot to attest to how it would hold up with a lot of shooting. A stock upgrade to something like a Bell and Carson may be your best bet and may work out better economically in the long run anyway.

Yeah I just really don't have the money for a new stock right now. I'm in college and I'm trying to save up for a new computer cause mine is about to fall apart. This is my gun (olive instead of black)

Synthetic | Weatherby.com

Plainsman I really like that Karsten adjustable cheek piece, but how much does it cost?

ttocswob I'm not too sure about the cable ties, but the water pipe insulation does seem like a pretty good idea.

Guest Broomhead

Just a quick search on Cheaper Than Dirt...

2-BH90CP05BK - BLACKHAWK! IVS Performance Rifle Cheek Pad, Black

2-BH90CP00BK - BLACKHAWK! Rifle Cheek Pad Tie Down Black

LEG-192 - US Leather Cheek Piece Lace On Military Style Right Handed Only Easy to Install

MOLLE-924 - BLACKHAWK! Tactical Cheek Pad Black

MOLLE-925 - BLACKHAWK! AR-15 Cheek Pad Riser, Adjustable, Black

Don't know how well they work, but I like the second one the best. I want one for my 10/22.

Guest Broomhead