Remington 700

Guest nicemac

Guest nicemac

My son wants to go deer hunting this Fall. He has been talking about it for a year. He has a Stag AR, but wants a "real" hunting rifle. He came home last night all fired up to buy a Remington 700 from Franklin Gun Shop. It is a composite stock, stainless steel gun chambered .308. They asked him $599 for it.

I am not a hunter. At all. Is this a decent gun? Compared to prices online, this seems to be a fair price.

A quick search shows that Remington has been making them since 1962. On one hand you got to figure that it wouldn't be in production that long if it was junk. On the other hand, McDonald's is still in business after that many years…

Opinions?

Thanks!

Edited by nicemac
Added stock type
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Remington 700 is the base gun for snipers in the US military. I'm looking at getting one myself. It's a great rifle with awesome reviews. It is necessary to figure out the model number to find out if it's a good price. My guess is if it's at FGS you can get it for $100 less elsewhere.

Its a good gun and an acceptable caliber; 308 is "close" to a 30-06 and will work on just about any medium to large game in the USA. Only thing here is to check the price, and if it is used, the condition. Its one of the "go to" guns for hunters and I have seen it recommended time and time again. I had one in 30-06 but sold it as I had way too many hunting guns and wanted more toys, it was very accurate but a bit of a shoulder thumper, the 308 will be a little kinder to the shoulder but you may want a new recoil pad, at least to get it zeroed in.

Guest nicemac
The Remington 700 is the base gun for snipers in the US military. I'm looking at getting one myself. It's a great rifle with awesome reviews. It is necessary to figure out the model number to find out if it's a good price. My guess is if it's at FGS you can get it for $100 less elsewhere.

SPS SS 308

I found it online at Buds for $17 more, and at kygunco.com for $13 less. Despite the constant posts to the contrary, I never find Franklin Gun Shop to be pricey…

Guest nicemac
Its a good gun and an acceptable caliber; 308 is "close" to a 30-06 and will work on just about any medium to large game in the USA. Only thing here is to check the price, and if it is used, the condition. Its one of the "go to" guns for hunters and I have seen it recommended time and time again. I had one in 30-06 but sold it as I had way too many hunting guns and wanted more toys, it was very accurate but a bit of a shoulder thumper, the 308 will be a little kinder to the shoulder but you may want a new recoil pad, at least to get it zeroed in.

It is new.

SPS SS 308

I found it online at Buds for $17 more, and at kygunco.com for $13 less. Despite the constant posts to the contrary, I never find Franklin Gun Shop to be pricey…

Do it. You can't go wrong with a 700, and you can't go wrong with a .308. Remington has built a gazillion of those rifles. I have one in .270, and love it.

Guest Bronker

I've hunted with a Model 700 in .30-06 since I got one for my 15th birthday. It has never ever let me down. I've killed wild hogs at 2 yards in 90 degree weather, and dropped running Montana muleys at 450 yards in -11 degrees and 50 mph winds. It has never failed me and I'm woefully dedicated to that model.

Translation...get it!!!

After owning many different 308's, I prefer the Savage model 10. My last 700 was great, my 308 (before the Savage) was a Ruger, ALL GREAT GUNS. I just like the savage.

Tell him if he likes the 700, stop playing around and do it before they sell it.....BUT, he owes it to himself to at least fondle the Savage while he's there.

Guest GunTroll

A true testament to the rifles design could be judged off of how many knock offs are out there. When I say knock off I don't mean they are less in quality. Probably the other way around when talking about the 700. There are many companies that have copied the design with great success.

Tell him to buy with confidence in getting a good product. Similar to the AR, they can be changed to accommodate needs/wants with less effort than one might think. I'm a fan!

I should have been more clear; Now he needs a decent scope for deer hunting in middle TN… Recommendations?

That is a very personal choice, but don't cheap out. There are a lot of factors to consider, but his hunting conditions probably should have the biggest impact. If he is hunting large open fields, the recommendation would be a lot different than hunting in heavy brush.

Personally, I really like the 1.5-6x42 that Nikon makes. Some folks don't like the Nikon scopes, but I have several and haven't had any issues.

Leupold makes a couple of 2-7x33 (IIRC), but I would rather have the larger front objective.

Guest nicemac

OK, so he goes to the store. He was mistaken. The Remington 700 .308 SPS he was so excited about was actually priced at $699. The $599 gun is a Remington 700 .30-06 ADL. He's 19 and very excited to buy his first gun without me in tow–he mis-remembered the numbers.

He was all set to just buy the .30-06. I told him to wait. Not that a .30-06 is a bad choice, just that he needs to make an informed decision and not rush to buy this morning.

If he sticks with the .308, he now may be better off buying elsewhere, price-wise.

Guest Bronker

I believe he might have a better chance of finding ammo at the drop of a hat by going with .30-06.

Sure, .308 ammo is widely and readily available, but I like my chances of running into a podunk hardware store or a 24-hour Walmart in Forsyth, MT in the middle of the night (because you ran out of shells) and them having some .30-06 laying around. Ask me how I know :D

Most of the hunters I know, if you tore their truck apart efficiently enough, you could find a .30-06 shell somewhere :D

It just seems to me that .30-06 is more commonly available.

Guest nicemac
I believe he might have a better chance of finding ammo at the drop of a hat by going with .30-06.

Sure, .308 ammo is widely and readily available, but I like my chances of running into a podunk hardware store or a 24-hour Walmart in Forsyth, MT in the middle of the night (because you ran out of shells) and them having some .30-06 laying around. Ask me how I know :D

Most of the hunters I know, if you tore their truck apart efficiently enough, you could find a .30-06 shell somewhere :D

It just seems to me that .30-06 is more commonly available.

I originally directed him to the .30-06. HE decided he wanted the .308. Now he is unsure which one he wants. If he goes with the .30-06, is that ADL OK?

I originally directed him to the .30-06. HE decided he wanted the .308. Now he is unsure which one he wants. If he goes with the .30-06, is that ADL OK?

Nothing wrong with the ADL, but it is a lower end gun. That price is way too high. Academy's website shows $379.

I say go with the Buds gun and have it shipped to the Triune saddle shop for $25 transfer and tics.

I just talked to the saddle shop and they can order an SPS varmint for $579 or SPS tactical for $599. You could just talk to the owner at Franklin Gun and give home the Bud's price and he may work on the price some.

Edited by bigwakes
Guest adamoxtwo

WAIT!!! Bass Proshop has Browning A-Bolt II's on sale for $499.97 Brown Synthetic Stock, Detachable Mag, Glass Beaded with free floating Barrel. Normally $699.99! I'm a fan of Remmington 700's, but not sure I would pass on a Browning if I was looking for a long term hunting rifle. While supplies last and I'm sure this won't last long!