My HCP Story.

Okay, I'm going to be honest here, I'm very bad with legal language. But as far as that statute goes: Does the "affirmative defense to prosecution" mean that is is fine to have my handgun in the vehicle as long as I am only delivering or picking up someone from campus? (As long as the weapon is not removed, utilized, or allowed to be removed from the vehicle?) Just wanting to make sure I understand that correctly.

That's what it means. Applies to all schools, grammar to college. Applies to both HCP holders and non-HCP holders (though the gun cannot be possessed in the same way for each, which should be obvious).

- OS

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Update! September 28, 2011. Crossbreed Supertuck arrived in the mail! Tore into the package....and it was a right handed holster. :up: I had ordered a left handed holster, but I guess human error happens. Called them up, got an answering machine and requested instructions on what I should do to return this and get a left handed holster.

Guest Victor9er
Ah, see I thought it was illegal to even have one drink while carrying. Is the "intoxicated" level something that's written down like the allowed BAC for driving or is it just strictly a judgement call on the LEO / judge? And I didn't know that with the gun being in immediate vicinity would be the same as you carrying. Thank you for the information!

Most everything has been covered by others as far as what's legal and what's not in this case, but keep this in mind....

In the event you did have a "few drinks" and were not legally intoxicated, and something happens that requires you to draw and fire your weapon, it's not just the cop/judge's judement call that you have to deal with. If there's a trial (which there most likely will be) the prosecuting attorney will have a field day with the "impared judgement" angle and that can go very bad for you very quickly if the jury agrees.

My advice, if you're going to carry then don't drink alcohol at all... not even "just one"

:up:

But you're a grown up, so feel free to make your own decision, just be aware of the consequences.

BTW - I think you'll like the Crossbreed, I have one and it's certainly my favorite.

Edited by Victor9er

Yeah, when I carry I have decided not to drink AT ALL. Same way that if I know I have to drive somewhere, I won't even have JUST ONE. Something I'm willing to give up to err on the side of safety. And I'm very let down I got the wrong holster! I hope they Priority Mail me the correct one.

September 29 Update: Called up Crossbreed yesterday asking what I should do to fix this problem, they promptly called me back around 8am this morning. Talked him through what happened, he had me do a really odd check to make sure I could verify it was a right-handed holster, and when the rep was assured I was sent the wrong thing he quickly and politely informed me that they would be shipping out the correct product expeditiously along with paying for shipping return for the right-handed holster I received. Great customer service so far! Time to wait for my new one.

Edited by pattywak
Yeah, when I carry I have decided not to drink AT ALL. Same way that if I know I have to drive somewhere, I won't even have JUST ONE. Something I'm willing to give up to err on the side of safety. And I'm very let down I got the wrong holster! I hope they Priority Mail me the correct one.

I also think you misunderstood what OhShoot was getting at in an earlier post. In TN, it is illegal to have even a single sip of alchohol while carrying a gun in an establishment open to the public. I think OS was saying that it isn't necessarily illegal to have a drink while carrying in a non-public place such as at home, at a friend's house (maybe the neighbors invited you over for a barbecue and you are having a beer with your ribs, etc.) Whether or not that is a bad idea is for you to decide. Some think it is, some see it as not a big deal (within reason.) Some states apparently don't even see it as a big deal and will allow people to have a drink while carrying in public places as long as they are not 'intoxicated'. TN is not one of those states.

I am not a lawyer and this certainly is not legal advice.

Edited by JAB
Guest WyattEarp

Guns and alcohol just don't mix at all even if it is just one. One drink leads to another and then before you even realize what happened, you are in court room wondering how the hell you got there in the first place.

Guns and alcohol just don't mix at all even if it is just one. One drink leads to another and then before you even realize what happened, you are in court room wondering how the hell you got there in the first place.

I agree completely.

You whippersnappers are sooo straight laced.

CrankyMe.jpg

- OS

Guest WyattEarp
You whippersnappers are sooo straight laced.- OS

that's because I've learned from my mistakes. I was fortunate enough a year ago to get a dui dropped because my bac was under the legal limit, and I am the first to say I was VERY lucky. I have no desire to find myself in that situation again, let alone compound on that with a weapons charge.

not worth it. if I feel the need to drink, I will either leave my weapon at home, or I'll just stay home and drink and put my weapon up for the night. safer that way. just can't leave anything to chance, too much room for error, and too many things that can go wrong.

that's because I've learned from my mistakes. I was fortunate enough a year ago to get a dui dropped because my bac was under the legal limit, and I am the first to say I was VERY lucky. I have no desire to find myself in that situation again, let alone compound on that with a weapons charge.

not worth it. if I feel the need to drink, I will either leave my weapon at home, or I'll just stay home and drink and put my weapon up for the night. safer that way. just can't leave anything to chance, too much room for error, and too many things that can go wrong.

Ummm, it was a jokie poo.

- OS