My HCP Story.

Hello everyone, new member here, name's Patrick. I've been browsing this forum for a month or so looking for information during the time leading to my HCP arriving in the mail. Figure now would be a great time to post here about my personal HCP story.

Some background information...

My Setup:

- FN FNX-9

After doing much research, I settled on this gun for mainly one reason - fully ambi controls. Being a left hander, I wanted something I could use without doing crazy adaptations with my hand.

Federal: 460 rounds, 3 bobbles during first magazine - perfect after that.

WWB: 100 rounds, 2 failure to go into battery, gun extremely dirty after use. Won't use these again, the Federal is cheaper anyways.

- Blackhawk Serpa CQC for an HK P30

After an exhaustive search, this one is about a 98% fit! Only thing is the front sight rubs on the inside a tad.

I will be ordering a Crossbreed Supertuck soon, because the FNP holster fits my FNX and I'd rather wait for a quality product than buy an inferior product.

- 5.11 Leather Casual Belt

My HCP arrived in the mail on August 31st, And so far I've carried to Old Chicago, Sweet Ce-Ce's, Old Navy, and to some friend's houses. The most concealing I've done is loosely thrown my shirt over it, resulting in heavy printing. I still haven't carried full-on openly anywhere yet, possibly due to first-time nerves. ;) Anywhere I've gone I have carried - classes take up most of my time and I do not carry on campus for obvious reasons. Those emergency cop boxes will protect me in case of any crisis!

September 10: Ordered Crossbreed Supertuck! The wait begins...

September 28, 2011. Crossbreed Supertuck arrived in the mail!

Tore into the package....and it was a right handed holster. frown.gif I had ordered a left handed holster, but I guess human error happens. Called them up, got an answering machine and requested instructions on what I should do to return this and get a left handed holster. The wait begins...again...

October 3: Finally got the right Crossbreed Supertuck in the mail! Wore it all afternoon and evening that day. Really comfortable even with my full-size pistol.

- This completes my carry system for the time being, everything subject to change as I get more time learning and using the system day in and day out.

Edited by pattywak
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Blackhawk Serpa CQC for an HK P30

After an exhaustive search, this one is about a 98% fit! Only thing is the front sight rubs on the inside a tad.

I will be ordering a Crossbreed Supertuck soon,

Welcomed to the club.

Good that you're dumping the Blackhawk Holster of Death soon.

- OS

Welcome

I too have to go a lot of places where carry isn't allowed. You will be amazed at how much the situational awareness you gain from carrying will help you in situations where you can't.

After a week of having my HCP, I already feel different when I'm on campus and unable to carry. Thankfully I still have those Emergency Cop Boxes to keep me safe.

Oddly enough, in the week I've had my HCP, I haven't seen a single gun buster sign in Murfreesboro - and I've been to a lot of places. Is this the norm in other areas of TN? Even though I don't seen any gun buster signs, I still throw my shirt over my rig so it's not a true open carry. I don't want to be the reason people panic and cause stores and businesses to post.

Welcomed to the club.

Good that you're dumping the Blackhawk Holster of Death soon.

- OS

I've been very happy with my serpa. What's the problem?

I've heard many stories about the Blackhawk Serpa and the problems with the design, but with my FNX being a newer model gun with not many holster options, I absolutely wanted to make sure I had something that wasn't some 10 dollar junk to carry with as soon as my permit came in. Granted, I haven't had any problems adapting to the Serpa retention system, and I have been practicing drawing and firing slowly both at the range and with snap caps at home.

Now I'm looking towards Crossbreed. I know D&T in Rivergate carries them - and they had one that fit my FNX great - but they didn't have it in left hand configuration. So the wait begins soon.

Edited by pattywak
I've been very happy with my serpa. What's the problem?

Do a little googling.

Finger predisposed to transfer from release button straight to trigger on quick draw.

Gun locked in with debris blocking release.

Serpa not allowed in some of the prominent training schools.

Etc.

- OS

One thing I was wondering today - is it legal to carry my gun with me, leave it in the car, go into a restaurant and have a few drinks then drive the car home? I know it's illegal to drink while carrying but will having the gun in the car with you after you drink fall under that law?

One thing I was wondering today - is it legal to carry my gun with me, leave it in the car, go into a restaurant and have a few drinks then drive the car home? I know it's illegal to drink while carrying but will having the gun in the car with you after you drink fall under that law?

If it is loaded or unloaded with ammunition in immediate vicinity of the gun, it's same as having it on you.

It is not illegal to drink while carrying (except in a place open to public), or to carry after drinking, but it's illegal to carry/possess while intoxicated, which is a judgement call of the LEO/court. My advice, if your breath smells of booze, put unloaded gun in trunk or lockbox, separate ammo, same as if you didn't have an HCP. And best to do it before you ever walk in for those "few drinks".

- OS

Ah, see I thought it was illegal to even have one drink while carrying. Is the "intoxicated" level something that's written down like the allowed BAC for driving or is it just strictly a judgement call on the LEO / judge? And I didn't know that with the gun being in immediate vicinity would be the same as you carrying. Thank you for the information!

Edited by pattywak

RE The Serpa

If you get a good starting grip your Finger will end up on the Frame and not on the trigger.

BUT

If you get a low grip it will be on the Trigger (which doesn't mean you have to PULL the trigger)

If you flub the Serpa lock and try to draw, it gets stuck until you push back down and then release.

There have been some AD's. Look up "man shoots leg" on YouTube

I watched that video, and in it he admits to having used the Thumb Drive 5.11 holster extensively earlier in the day, then switched to the Serpa - in doing so, his thumb still had the muscle memory and disengaged his safety while drawing from the Serpa. Granted, his finger still shouldn't have gone into the trigger guard anyways, but I'm glad to hear he is safe.

It's just another reminder that gun safety is everyone's business. Be safe out there everyone!

At "a few" drinks you are over .08% BAC.

As a former cop, drinking and carrying would get you a request to submit to a BAC from me; I would have no tolerance for people carrying and drinking at all. Now you are out of carry issues and into DUI/Implied Consent. If you blow over .08% you have DUI and weapons charges. If you refuse, you have implied consent to deal with, and will still probably face DUI and weapons charges.

Without a BAC test both DUI and carrying while intoxicated would be my call. You could easily spend $5K trying to get out of it.

Don't get me wrong I don't think one should drink anything & carry but in the above situation what if one were to unload the weapon & store it in the vehicle as though thay had no carry permit what say you?

I would say if you weren’t a DUI suspect; you are good to go.

Even if you were a DUI suspect the weapons don’t come into play as long as they are legally carried as if you don’t have an HCP. (Unloaded, ammo and guns not readily accessible)

I’m not a cop anymore though, so my opinion means nothing, and even from cop to cop opinions and actions will vary.

It is the same here in Nebraska. You DO NOT take a drink if you are carrying. You can & will be fined and maybe lose your permit. If I am carrying and in a place that serves I will dring Ice tea or pop. I am originally from Murfreesboro and will be back there again in October for my yearly trip to visit family. Maybe I will run into a few of you then. Keep up the good work.

DaveTN - I realize that "a few drinks" puts someone over the legal limit for driving. I thought that someone couldn't drink a single sip while carrying, which is why I was asking if I could have the gun in my car instead. Whatever the case, I sided with caution like normal and just didn't drink. It keeps my dinner tab down and I would much rather not risk it. Thanks for the information though.

Glad you guys are being patient with me and my new-ness to carrying. I've been in lots of other forums where new people are generally looked down upon as stupid and such.

DaveTN - I realize that "a few drinks" puts someone over the legal limit for driving. I thought that someone couldn't drink a single sip while carrying, which is why I was asking if I could have the gun in my car instead. Whatever the case, I sided with caution like normal and just didn't drink. It keeps my dinner tab down and I would much rather not risk it. Thanks for the information though.

Glad you guys are being patient with me and my new-ness to carrying. I've been in lots of other forums where new people are generally looked down upon as stupid and such.

I don’t think they are stupid questions and I don’t want you to think I am against drinking. I love to go out and party, and when I do I drink… a lot. But I don’t drive after even one beer and I don’t take a gun with me. Your judgment can be affected by one drink; I know mine can be.

The biggest misconception of all is that .08% is the same as being drunk. I have watched too many people find that out the hard way.

I’m not arguing that the .08% BAC is wrong; just stating that you may not feel intoxicated at that level, and “how you feel†is not a good indicator of BAC.

I don’t think they are stupid questions and I don’t want you to think I am against drinking. I love to go out and party, and when I do I drink… a lot. But I don’t drive after even one beer and I don’t take a gun with me. Your judgment can be affected by one drink; I know mine can be.

We share the same viewpoints on this. If I'm driving, I don't even have "just one." To me, it's not worth the risk.

Also - I just placed my order for a Crossbreed Supertuck! The Wait begins....

I was wondering today - I've tried looking up laws regarding carrying a gun onto school campus in my car, but the only thing I could find was that you could only do it as a non-student adult? Am I reading the law correctly? This means that if, for example, I am out running errands and then go to campus to pick up a friend, I have to leave my gun at home first before going onto campus?

I was wondering today - I've tried looking up laws regarding carrying a gun onto school campus in my car, but the only thing I could find was that you could only do it as a non-student adult? Am I reading the law correctly?

Yes, as far as leaving it in your car on campus. It seems that it should be unloaded, ammo separated also, since it is not in the paragraph regarding "going armed" and does not mention HCP holder.

This means that if, for example, I am out running errands and then go to campus to pick up a friend, I have to leave my gun at home first before going onto campus?

Separate statute for that: 39-17-1310 Affirmative defense to carrying weapons on school property:

"It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under § 39-17-1309(a)-(d) that the person's behavior was in strict compliance with the requirements of one (1) of the following classifications ....

(4) A person entering the property for the sole purpose of delivering or picking up passengers and who does not remove, utilize or allow to be removed or utilized any weapon from the vehicle."

- OS

Okay, I'm going to be honest here, I'm very bad with legal language. But as far as that statute goes: Does the "affirmative defense to prosecution" mean that is is fine to have my handgun in the vehicle as long as I am only delivering or picking up someone from campus? (As long as the weapon is not removed, utilized, or allowed to be removed from the vehicle?) Just wanting to make sure I understand that correctly.