62 members have voted

1. 1. What do you call yourself?

• Democrat
    • Republican

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the R and D are essentially the same thing, big government statists who want to tell me how to live my life, raise my children, and most especially how to spend my money, I chose neither. I see no value in voting for a Republicrat whose real purpose is control.

Overall, they are hardly the same. Philosophies and fundamentals are polar opposites. This is best exemplified in the Supreme Court rulings on 2a amongst other rulings. As far as politicians being politicians, yes, there is very litte difference.

Edited by Smith
Guest skinner
Registered? I thought TN didn't "register" party?

You can register in TN, but it is a choice, not a requirement. Having said that, I am not registered and like many others consider myself a conservative.

• Moderators
Overall, they are hardly the same. Philosophies and fundamentals are polar opposites. This is best exemplified in the Supreme Court rulings on 2a amongst other rulings. As far as politicians being politicians, yes, there is very litte difference.
They can spout off about their philosophies and theories all day long, I am more interested in praxis, and in that they are virtually indistinguishable from each other.
I stopped calling myself a Republican quite a few years ago.

It's still how I vote most of the time but "political parties" aren't the answer to our nation's problems (nor have they ever been). Unfortunately, the only "political" home for those with a serious conservative/libertarian bent is the Republican party.

I'm going to disagree slightly, for this Libertarian, the manner in which the Republicans attempt to exert control over private behaviors and the fact that they just want to spend my (or my children's) money on different things than the Democrats, nevertheless still wanting to spend, makes them just as anathema as the Democrats. If one truly has a serious libertarian bent and thinks they are at home in the GOP, they are deluding themselves either in how serious of a libertarian they are, or in what/whom they are really voting for.

I shall state it as explicitly as I can, both parties are equally useless fiscally and gravely dangerous to our personal liberties.

Guest WyattEarp

neither.

I just recently registered to vote down here in FL and I was planning on selecting "independent" but the clerk told me that if I do that I am not eligible to vote in the primary. So I picked Republican.

wow, that's ridiculous. talk about forcing the 2 party system on society.

...wow, that's ridiculous. talk about forcing the 2 party system on society.

I really don't see a problem here (unless I'm misunderstanding the requirement)???

If someone isn't a Republican they shouldn't get to decided (i.e vote on) who a Republican nominee for an office is and same goes for a non-Democrat voting for who a Democrat nominee is. I think it correct to say that "Independent" is generally not recognized as an actual political party and doesn't hold "primary" votes/have nominees on a primary ballot.

I'm sure, whether declaring a political party of not, that a person can still vote on any issues on the ballot.

Guest Straight_Shooter

I don't fit squarely into either category. My political opinions span from what some would consider ultra-conservative all the way to what others would call ultra-liberal.

I am a 2a advocate (and the rest of the constitution for that matter), I like the idea of mandatory drug testing welfare and unemployment recipients, Some of our drug laws need to be stricter, I support the death penalty, I'm in favor of smaller government especially at the federal level...

I respect and support our troops, but I do not believe our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are just. It sickens me that veterans benefits were reduced this year and their tax burden was increased.

I am however also pro-choice, I support Gay Right, I really want to see universal health care in America. I believe in freedom of religion, but I believe that religion has no place in public schools, especially the charade of "creation science". I support legalizing (regulating and taxing) marijuana. I think it is ridiculous that people can opt their children out of immunizations.

To sum it up, I think there is a balance to be struck somewhere in-between, and I think the reason the country is in the shape it's currently in is because we seem to swing wildly from right to left every 8 years or so.

Guest clownsdd
I don't fit squarely into either category. My political opinions span from what some would consider ultra-conservative all the way to what others would call ultra-liberal.

I am a 2a advocate (and the rest of the constitution for that matter), I like the idea of mandatory drug testing welfare and unemployment recipients, Some of our drug laws need to be stricter, I support the death penalty, I'm in favor of smaller government especially at the federal level...

I respect and support our troops, but I do not believe our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are just. It sickens me that veterans benefits were reduced this year and their tax burden was increased.

I am however also pro-choice, I support Gay Right, I really want to see universal health care in America. I believe in freedom of religion, but I believe that religion has no place in public schools, especially the charade of "creation science". I support legalizing (regulating and taxing) marijuana. I think it is ridiculous that people can opt their children out of immunizations.

To sum it up, I think there is a balance to be struck somewhere in-between, and I think the reason the country is in the shape it's currently in is because we seem to swing wildly from right to left every 8 years or so.

+100 You are a centrist also. You see thru all the bs on both sides and decide for yourself what you want to support and who you think will serve your needs best.