Turkey hate crimes

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

When I moved here from CO a few years ago, I was shocked to see the hatred for turkeys here in TN. Not calling out you know who, cough , cough, WD, but why is this? In CO and WY, my two last western residences if you had turkeys you were blessed! Here, to some it seems a curse of sorts. Why? Destructive to land,crops, other? I have met many, many people here who literally hate turkeys. Which works out good for me at times for I love to hunt them and permission is granted by those folks at times.

I'm asking because I don't understand. I'm not being facetious....this time :D .

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In some areas of TN turkeys are overpopulated. Take Rutherford Co we are allowed 6 birds either sex this fall. The property I hunt I plan on killing some hens as there are a bunch of them. The property has quail on it and most people don't know but turkeys are a predator bird. They will eat quail eggs and quail babies. I don't hate turkeys but they can cause problems if you have to many.

Guest Bronker
...most people don't know but turkeys are a predator bird. They will eat quail eggs and quail babies. I don't hate turkeys but they can cause problems if you have to many.

Roger that. I don't see why we even have quail seasons around here anymore. Even our old established coveys have disappeared. Now granted, turkeys are only one of the many, many causes of population drop.

As for turkey limits this fall...I too will be slaying all hens or very mature toms for my 6 bird limit. TWRA has needed an either-sex turkey quota for a while now.

Guest adamoxtwo

I second the notion that they are good for Tick and Snake Control! And if you have a plot or have ever had one you know how destructive they can be and how fast your plot can be non existent. I planted about 3 acres last year and they ate all of the seed before it could even get started. I was so mad that I gave up. It was the most expensive none food plot I have ever had. So yeah I hate them little bastards and can support WD's hatred 100%

I hate them, I will kill them...even out of spite! I have no use for a $^^#* Turkey! TWRA restored these "dirt buzards", and did nothing but cause problems! If TWRA really wanted to do something...they should have stopped Turkey hunting to control the numbers instead of hogs! $^%$$^&%$ that's what I think!

Guest Bronker
I hate them, I will kill them...even out of spite! I have no use for a $^^#* Turkey! TWRA restored these "dirt buzards", and did nothing but cause problems! If TWRA really wanted to do something...they should have stopped Turkey hunting to control the numbers instead of hogs! $^%$$^&%$ that's what I think!

WD, no need to hold back your emotions. Feel free to tell us how you really feel.:)

I'm still kinda curious about what they've done to disadvantage you, other than compete for your food plot with your intended targets.

In my opinion, I'd rather take on 100 turkeys than one nuisance hog. YMMV.

As for the TWRA, I've hunted extensively all over this country, and pound-for-pound, we have the best wildlife management division in this country in my opinion. Just my opinion.

You are right, TWRA does a good job for the most part on managing our resources. I just hate turkeys. I hate the way they look....I hate the way they walk....I hate the way....I hate turkeys! They mess up my deer hunting. Besides, they don't even taste good! Ya'll can have all you want. I'm gonna harvest all I can this year. As long as I have people to take the meat, I will remove them from the property.

Guest adamoxtwo
You are right, TWRA does a good job for the most part on managing our resources. I just hate turkeys. I hate the way they look....I hate the way they walk....I hate the way....I hate turkeys! They mess up my deer hunting. Besides, they don't even taste good! Ya'll can have all you want. I'm gonna harvest all I can this year. As long as I have people to take the meat, I will remove them from the property.

I want one!!! I want to deep fry it! Never deep fried wild bird!

I'm not sure how that would work. I don't care to eat wild turkey, so I don't know, but people I know only eat the breast meat and throws the rest away. They say the thighs, legs and wings aren't fit to eat. Kinda like chewing on a tennis shoe I guess.

Guest GunTroll

They taste just fine. The breast is the best. Not much meat on the legs really worth eating. Deep frying is great. Its less dry that way IMO if you do it right.

If you are of the mind set that hates turkeys, hunt them! And do it in the spring too instead of doing the alternative rec spring sport of fishing. Which is the most boring thing an outdoorsman can do with his time. Spring turkey hunting is the most exciting hunting that can be had. I'll put turkeys and preds at the top of the list for excitement as far as hunting around here goes.

Goes without saying that is my opinion.

We have wild turkeys around our yard every year. In fact, I took this picture in the yard a few years back (that's my chicken coop in the upper left of the picture.) I was outside and this one just walked by. I think they are attracted to our pond. You can see how hard it would be for me to bag a hen. I could just about have thrown a big rock and killed this one:

S5000635postsecond.jpg

I also have pics of about 30 of them parading through the yard that I took from the back porch last year but apparently didn't put them on photobucket. I rarely see toms, though, only hens and their young. I actually enjoy seeing them, especially keeping in mind that they were Ben Franklin's choice for our national bird - but wouldn't mind eating one or two every now and then. I'd probably have a pretty good chance of bagging a few, too. But Loudon isn't listed in the tables for Fall hunting/either sex. Of course not. Unless I am mistaken, only bearded turkeys can be taken in the Spring season and I rarely (as in almost never) see adult toms/bearded turkeys - just big groups of hens and (in the summer/fall) their young. I know there must be some toms in our area because of all the young that show up but I think there are only a few of them that service all the hens. In fact, last year in a field across the road I counted nearly 100 turkeys in a huge group (before I gave up and quit counting) and from what I could see there were only one or two that were obviously toms.

Edited by JAB