Cops: Walmart shopper concealed 111 items

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. -- Police in Cookeville say they found 111 stolen items concealed on the person and in the purse of an Overton County woman.

A police report cited by the Cookeville Herald-Citizen stated 48-year-old Christine Troxell Reeder of the Monroemag-glass_10x10.gif community was stopped by a Walmart security employee, who called city police on Tuesday.

The police report said Reeder was cited for shoplifting after jewelry, clothing, toys, crafts and one package of zip-lock bags were found hidden. The combined value of the concealed items was about $435, according to the report.

Police did not elaborate on how the items were concealed.

Reeder could not be contacted for comment. No published telephone listing is associated with her street address.

Think about it. If they charged her with each item she could spend the rest of her life in prison. Persoanlly I think she should spend some time in jail, at least a few years. Stealing is stealing, regardless of what is stolen or the value. It is people like this lady that are costing all of us more at the register as the companies are trying to recoup their losses.

Dolomite

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad tells the story of when he worked at a grocery store once, and there was this older lady that everyone recognized by her large flambouyant hat. One day my dad noticed she was bleeding from her forehead. When he offered her help she got all flustered and started to run off. About that time her hat slipped and out fell a big old juicy steak from on top of her head. Turns out she was stealing them every time she came in.

Think about it. If they charged her with each item she could spend the rest of her life in prison. Persoanlly I think she should spend some time in jail, at least a few years. Stealing is stealing, regardless of what is stolen or the value. It is people like this lady that are costing all of us more at the register as the companies are trying to recoup their losses.

Dolomite

Theft of $435 of merchandise would be a misdemeanor charge. If convicted, she would probably do no time, depending on her past. I think her hands should be cut off.

2nd offense retail theft in Illinois is a felony. If they can prove intent (Clothes made for shoplifting, partner rolls, etc.) some Sates Attorneys will charge burglary.

Does it never become a felony in Tennessee?

I can see why these shoplifters do it, when so many stores are implementing policies of not even stopping people.

One thing they could easily do to make things harsher is this. Rather than run sentences concurrent make them consecutive. I have seen people who had dozens of charges and had all of them run concurrent and the person be out in a year because all the builty charges were run concurrently.

Dolomite

All the laws and sentences are in place. Deals are made and early releases are done because the jails and prisons are filled beyond legal maximum limits. Especially with non-violent offenders like shoplifters.

I always think about the comedian that said “let’s take a state and turn it into a prison. And let’s use one of those square states like Wyoming; so it would be easy to fence.†;)

I personally like the idea of corporal punishment for misdemeanor offenses. Like the those struck with canes you hear about in Asia. Or perhaps a weekly tazing during your period of probation. Save the jails for felons. Jail is too easy even if they do spend time in there but in most cases they are let go with time served or unsupervised probation.

Something else that I think would deter a lot of crime that is simple is cut the hair off of those who plead or are convicted. It is not cruel but it would likely fit the unusaul punishemnt. Most people take great pride in their hair, especially the ladies. If they are found or plead guilty to a crime they would be required to have their hair removed as part of the sentence. Now for those like me that don't mind not having any hair it is nothing more than a free hair cut but in those instances something else could be substituted.

Dolomite

All the laws and sentences are in place. Deals are made and early releases are done because the jails and prisons are filled beyond legal maximum limits. Especially with non-violent offenders like shoplifters.

I always think about the comedian that said “let’s take a state and turn it into a prison. And let’s use one of those square states like Wyoming; so it would be easy to fence.” :screwy:

George Carlin