Mosin Nagant

SonnyCrockett

on a whim this week I grabbed a Mosin from BUDS and 200 rounds of russian ammo

The gun ,1943 vintage looks like it may have never even been fired,after an hour clean up

she looks like new.......

109 bucks for a rifle and 50 bucks for 200 rds of ammo

What a deal !

Saturday I give it a run though but I thought Id post up and see if anyone else has some

experiences with this cold war gem,its a thrill to know I have a piece of history and

at such a great price

IMAG0239.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the ammo is surplus it is corrosive. Just clean the barrel first with boiling hot water, warm soapy water, Windex or whatever, then clean normally. There is a ton of info here and on the net about that.

Make sure you clean the chamber very well of all traces of cosmoline. That will prevent sticky-bolt (which eventually goes away after repeated shootings/cleanings)

Shoot with the bayonet attached if it came with one. If shooting at 100 yards start the rear sight out at 200 meters.

Enjoy!

I have one, and yes it is a blast to shoot! The bolt was a real challenge, but it seems to be loosening up. I didn't figure out how to load it correctly while I was a the range so it was a little embarrassing. However, checked it out on YouTube and now I'm loading bullets with the stripper clip like a pro. Now, I am ready to buy my box of 440 rounds online so I can really get it dialed in.

Guest Revelator
this cold war gem

Yeah, Battle of Stalingrad. BTW, I just got Enemy at the Gates today from Netflix. Never seen it. Looking forward to it.

Nutnfancy has a video on Youtube. It's about 40 minutes of him in the snow, just running and gunning with a Mosin. It makes shooting one of these look very fun.

i got mine at BUDS...some local shops get them too if you ask the mgr's

I am very happy with what was delivered thou its looks like it was never used - 440 rounds for 69 bucks is a steal,who is AIM?

but it would take me forever to blow through that amount of ammo - Ill have videos from the weekend,we have some tannerite on

stand by and a few leftover washer dryers and 2 or 3 propane tanks :)

Saturday !!!!!

Just thought I'd throw this out there, but J- Floyds golf and guns in Sevierville is advertising 91/30 mosins for $75. They are claiming slightly rusted bolts. Might be worth looking at.
I was just in Sevierville today and thought...you should stop at Floyds...and didn't. There are a great many profanities that fit this situation!!
the rear sight is simple, adjusts for elevation only. The front sight will movefor windage but to do it you will have to improvise, adapt and overcome.

Wasn't you that was going to test how long you can go without cleaning amosin after shooting corrosive ammo?

How did that go?

Same subject different model, is $199 too much to pay for a M44 version?

Depends. M44s are getting pretty scarce, so they say.

Seems the last one I saw on the forum for sale was 150ish.

I haven't seen any for sale in quite some time... so Icould believe 200 being just a bit over a fair value. :)

Ok all you experts out there, since these cans no longer come with a can opener, how do you get them open?

Most of the ammo sites I've seen offer the can opener if you buy 2 tins or more.

I have also seen the openers for sale at the gun shows for $10

When I ordered 4 cans, it came in 2 wooden cases (2 cans in each wooden case). One can opener was included in each case attached to the underside of the lid.

If I didn't have the can opener, then a putty knife/chisel and a hammer would do the trick. The can metal is pretty thin.