Haggle/negotiate price

Guest GunTroll

I typically set my price a little higher on used items expecting negotiations and usually expect the same when buying used items. There are entire cultures in other countries where negotiation is how everything is bought including groceries. I like the process and I like the perception of getting a deal.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is negotiable. Even services and retail (places that have actual salesmen like Best Buy will always give a discount when asked).

Only problem with negotiating services is that you usually do not negotiate the actual price but the level of service itself is negotiated.

I was hired by a local stylist just last week after a long negotiation. Original quoted price was $100(which was a discounted "on spec" price). Negotiated price was $75 but I cut the service provided in half. Afterward, they decided that they wanted an additional X, which would have been included in the original price, so I charged them 50 bucks for that.

Their final bill was 125 bucks.

In the end, I ended up working less but made more... which is how it usually works out when a cheapskate client tries to cut corners at my expense ;)

So, yes, I welcome negotiations :rolleyes:

Edited by strickj

Another problem I have with people's "negotiating" is the inconvenience to the person next to them. More than once at shops and shows I have stood there waiting for some goober to quit bickering over a 10 dollar bill so that I could buy something. If others want to haggle, fine, but it's rude and ridiculous to make another person who will pay the sticker price wait.

I know I PO'd a guy off royally at a show back when the I24 expo center held them. I spied a No4 enfield for a steal at $145. I waited for I know, 15 minutes while the poor guy tried to deal with a guy bickering over the price (I can't remember how much) I finally just raised my voice and said "Here's a hundred and forty five for this 303, cool?" (it was a private sale so no paper work) The guy who had been haggling spoke up "Excuse me, but we were talking." To which I responded "You're right and I'm sorry, but I don't plan to waste an hour letting a dime hold up a dollar. I just want to pay the man and get on with my business." The guy behind the table took my money, shook my hand and smiled. I didn't turn around but I could smell the smoke coming out of the other guy's ears.

Haggle if you like, I would be wrong to tell someone else they have no right to do so. BUT, don't expect others to give a crap about it, and PLEASE have the common courtesy not to inconvenience others by making them wait needlessly.