Haggle/negotiate price

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

So not to continue to drift in the other...

What is generally considered ok to haggle over and what isn't to you? Does that answer change with the many regions we have in the US?

Whats that say about the two parties involved? Both seller and buyer?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

To me, a price is a price. If I can't afford the asking price, I shouldn't be spending the money. The only time to haggle is when it is implied (cars) or stated ($$ OBO). I'm not going to go into Best Buy and say "Hey, I love that 60" Plasma TV, but you know what, I'm pretty freakin' ninja awesome, so give me a 50% discount." Services are non-negotiable IMO. If you don't care for the price, go elsewhere. Businesses don't make money by offering everyone a discount.

My reply to the other thread:

Actually - yes I do.

Several months back I was at Lowe's and saw a $399 tool box set. I took them to the checkout, and asked the guy at the register for the "Super Awesome Person Discount". He said "what"? So I repeated myself. He then asked how much this discount should be - and I told him 20%.

He called the manager over, did a price over-ride, and I got my tool box set for 20% less than the ticketed price.

My momma always told me "You might not get what you ask for every time, but you'll never get it if you don't even ask."

EVERYTHING is negotiable. EVERYTHING.

Which I then later modified the last line just a little bit to:

Everything is negotiable.. just not every time.

Guest GunTroll

But what about my questions in this thread? Of course you don't have to answer them. I'm just keeping up with my sig line below and trying to learn something new.

To me, a price is a price. If I can't afford the asking price, I shouldn't be spending the money. The only time to haggle is when it is implied (cars) or stated ($$ OBO). I'm not going to go into Best Buy and say "Hey, I love that 60" Plasma TV, but you know what, I'm pretty freakin' ninja awesome, so give me a 50% discount." Services are non-negotiable IMO. If you don't care for the price, go elsewhere. Businesses don't make money by offering everyone a discount.

Abso-friggin-lutely.

People want a discount from us but Middle Tn Electric doesn't cut me a discount on a $400 light bill.

To me, a price is a price. If I can't afford the asking price, I shouldn't be spending the money. The only time to haggle is when it is implied (cars) or stated ($$ OBO).

The problem there is that your "implied" is an arbitrary basis set by you - just like the fact that I operate on the basis that pretty much everything is up for negotiation, and that is arbitrarily set by me. My experience has told me that after buying and selling thousands of items in person and online, pretty much everything is up for negotiation.... most of the time.

Generally speaking, the people who like to think something isn't negotiable, are the ones who are trying to sell something :)

I've done plenty of CraigsList and swap-n-shop deals by being the absurdly low offer, but I guarantee to do my negotiating before I arrive - and when I show up I show up ready to hand over cash and pick up the item RIGHT NOW, no further negotiation to take place. I can't tell you how many people have agreed to take far less in $$$ for my deal than others have offered based on a guaranteed easy face-to-face transaction... because there is more to a transaction than just the money.

It's a pretty complex dynamic once you start peeling back the layers.

As a seller of used stuff - I generally have a VERY good idea of what my item is worth in the open market. That said, one of my sales methods is that I offer discounts on multiple items sold at one time, to one buyer. Why? Because even though I may be taking less than market price on some items, I saved myself quite a bit of time and hassle by only having to meet and deal with ONE buyer for those items, AND let's not forget TVM :(

Also, the firmness of someone's price depends a lot on their financial situation. As I said in the other thread -when business is down, I will take on contracts for less than I would consider in more bountiful times. Likewise - in booming business times - I might turn down or raise prices on services because I've already got more than enough work at the moment. That - in a nutshell - is how the free market works (well, that is how it is supposed to work when the gov't isn't in the way :( )

What is generally considered ok to haggle over and what isn't to you?

Everything is worth trying to negotiate.

I have negotiated the price of hot wings at Beef O Brady's.

I have negotiated with my business phone/data carrier.

I have negotiated free tanks of gas with the purchase of cars.

I have negotiated with my bank on fees.

I have negotiated with big box retail stores on any number of products.

Look at it from a simplistic view: If speaking a few words can save you tens, hundreds, or thousands of dollars, why WOULDN'T you do it?

Does that answer change with the many regions we have in the US?

I don't think so. I do think the US is a bit more hung up on this than other countries where negotiating a sale is not only acceptable, but an integral part of the relationship.

Whats that say about the two parties involved? Both seller and buyer?

To me it is the perfect example of a healthy buyer/seller relationship. Both parties trying to seek out the best price, and where those two curves meet on the graph BAM - a sale is made. Like I just said, it's how trade is supposed to work - on a micro or macro economic level.

I see nothing wrong with it. It takes two to make a transaction. If you don't want to haggle on buying/selling, it's your call... but it doesn't mean others can't. I hear people complain about how they paid too much or took too little. But at the end of the day, the transacting party accepted the price they did business at. You have the option to decline a transaction if you don't wish to do business at that price.

I work in an automotive-related field and the customers can be cut-throat. We rarely get asking price - it is negotiation all the time. Quality, reputation, service, speed, knowledge, confidence, and the all encompassing satisfaction with purchase are important elements... price is but one of the many factors and is by no means the greatest to all customers.

I see nothing wrong with it. It takes two to make a transaction. If you don't want to haggle on buying/selling, it's your call... but it doesn't mean others can't. I hear people complain about how they paid too much or took too little. But at the end of the day, the transacting party accepted the price they did business at. You have the option to decline a transaction if you don't wish to do business at that price.

I work in an automotive-related field and the customers can be cut-throat. We rarely get asking price - it is negotiation all the time. Quality, reputation, service, speed, knowledge, confidence, and the all encompassing satisfaction with purchase are important elements... price is but one of the many factors and is by no means the greatest to all customers.

This

Guest GunTroll

Hey! Now we are talking. I can see the logic to most of that above.

I say if its used, its fair game to be haggled over unless "firm" is used in a price description. That tells me a lot right away. My choice to engage or not. Usually not out of respect and not wanting to waste my time if I do not agree to the price.

I am a firm price service guy for a few reasons. One, its fair to the customer before you and after you. You are no more important than either of them. And on that note haggling (being the haggler) is like saying "I am more important/special than others so cut me a deal", and that you are not . If I cut you a better deal because you haggled me over it, in my mind I disrespected other customers past, present, and future. Now if you had something to barter with, we will talk. But cash price, firm I am. Oh yeah with the "cash price", I'm with Caster. Everything is cash price. And if your implying a :) tax free price you are sadly mistaken. I am honest as I am fair. I value my business over your savings all day.

I have never been haggled with, with what I do FWIW. I give a estimated quote for repairs. You accept or not. Custom rifle customers are not the haggling type as a rule of thumb. Said it before but Walmart is just down the road.

If I see something I'm interested in and think it's overpriced, I'll often make an offer. Sometimes I get told to pound sand, and sometimes I get a good price on something I want. I like it when someone makes an offer on anything I have for sale. Sometimes I take the offer, sometimes not, but at least then I have a minimum for what I can get for the item. I figure that if someone gets offended by an offer, they probably spend a good deal of their life walking around offended about something or another. I've seen my wife make offers and get discounted prices at the grocery!

I won't even enter into a negotiation unless I am interested in the item because it is a waste of my time as well as the sellers. And just because someone won't budge doesn't mean I won't buy the item. But if I am serious about buying the item the seller needs to be serious about selling the item. To me coming down on price or at least haggling is a way to know if someone is serious about selling. Just ignoring my offer or question about price just means they aren't serious about selling and I will walk on.

Also, there are a lot of people who treat it like a sport trying to haggle people down, especially at the gun shows, with no intention of buying. I have watched people spend 10 minutes haggling with a dealer while other customerrs walked by and the dealer come down substantially only to have the haggler walk away laughing. I understand the dealers frustration.

There are also a lot of dealers that throw extremely high prices on their stuff hoping a sucker comes along. But when you try to haggle they get butt hurt about it. Take for example a few shows ago a dealer had a pre accutrigger Savage that had a scratched up synthetic stock and the finish was worn off the gun as well as what appeared to be rust. His price? $900 The reason is he said it was a "tactical" model. Realistically it was a $300-$400 gun because of condition. I have tried to haggle with this dealer before and he is a crook in every shape and form, only trying to lure in those who are unknowledgeable. I have asked in the past if he had small rifle primers, he said if he did he would be asking $50 per 100. More power to you but don't sit there and complain when you can't sell anything which is something else he is really good at. He is one dealer that I have told dozens of friends to never buy from. Eventually word will spread.

There are several dealers that I will deal with locally. They are willing to at least engage in the haggle even if they don't come down. And even if they don't their prices are fair and I will buy from them anyways but I still need to ask because I am serious. One dealer is selling brand new Sigma's for $300 out the door as well as Mossberg shotguns for, if I remember correctly, $250 out the door. He can be a pain to deal with sometimes during the haggle but his prices are fair enough that even if he doesn't come down both are happy.

And to your question, I can't think of anything I might buy that costs more than $100 that I won't try to haggle on. I will haggle in person or on the phone. I recently bought some new tires and spent about an hour bidding tire dealers against eachother and haggling until I got what was the lowest possible price. The difference between the no haggle price and the haggle price was just shy of $100 per tire. I have haggled $300 off a $700 dining room table at Sam's. As well as dozens, well probably hundreds, of other deals.

Dolomite

Guest GunTroll
Depends on what it is: Cars from dealers absolutely. Guns never, a man sets his price I either accept it or not.

Wife wants to have another baby...definitely

You too! Tell me about it.

Hey! Now we are talking. I can see the logic to most of that above.

I say if its used, its fair game to be haggled over unless "firm" is used in a price description. That tells me a lot right away. My choice to engage or not. Usually not out of respect and not wanting to waste my time if I do not agree to the price.

I am a firm price service guy for a few reasons. One, its fair to the customer before you and after you. You are no more important than either of them. And on that note haggling (being the haggler) is like saying "I am more important/special than others so cut me a deal", and that you are not . If I cut you a better deal because you haggled me over it, in my mind I disrespected other customers past, present, and future. Now if you had something to barter with, we will talk. But cash price, firm I am. Oh yeah with the "cash price", I'm with Caster. Everything is cash price. And if your implying a :) tax free price you are sadly mistaken. I am honest as I am fair. I value my business over your savings all day.

I have never been haggled with, with what I do FWIW. I give a estimated quote for repairs. You accept or not. Custom rifle customers are not the haggling type as a rule of thumb. Said it before but Walmart is just down the road.

IMO you are way over thinking this whole deal. I personally find it fun to negotiate on an item that I am serious about buying. If you do not want to negotiate then simple say the price is firm then you will avoid people like me.

Guest GunTroll

I'm not selling anything. Shouldn't be a problem for either of us.

You did see the other thread right? I just find it interesting...pro haggle or not. Still interesting as to why its accepted or not for various items/services and I was looking for others thoughts.

With extremely few exceptions I always negotiate. A "price" is just someone's idea of what they want to get for the item or what they think the item is worth in the marketplace...it may be a price set by a large department of cost analysts/marketers who make that decision in a large company or it may be set by an individual.

Obviously not everyone will be willing to negotiate but I've found that most "prices" are negotiable. I've found that the "key" is to be dealing with someone that has a real, vested interest in selling what is being offered...a clerk making $8/hr isn't going to care; a department manager, store manager, store owner, private party does care.

Of course, if you have a set price you aren't willing to go over then you have to be willing to walk away. :)

I've lived in several different states (on both coasts, the Midwest and the south) and I've seen little difference in whether people are willing to engage in negotiation or not...as a country, we seem to have an aversion to haggling. I can tell you from experience that it's NOT that way in any other country I've ever visited (and I've been in quite a few between the Navy and my civilian travel).

Edited by RobertNashville
I can tell you from experience that it's NOT that way in any other country I've ever visited (and I've been in quite a few between the Navy and my civilian travel).

Me as well. I have been to numerous countries and in almost every case I observed there was a negotiation between the buyer and seller.

About the only place I will not negotiate price is in a restaurant. There is a leeway in overall price but it is by way of the tip. And before you think I am a cheap tipper because I haggle I am not. My average tip for decent service is 30%. Now for crappy service that might only be 10% but in large I am a very generous tipper.

Dolomite

I'll negotiate on most used items, some new items but never on services. Sometimes saving a buck can be very expensive and I'll give 2 examples.

1. If someone sets a price for a service and you talk them down, they may decide to give you your money's worth. That means you paid less than normal, they'll give you less than normal. Probably not what you bargained for.

2. I used to own a computer business doing sales and service. I charged $40 an hour, my main competitor charged $30 and we both had a 1/2 hour minimum. My competitor liked to milk it and wasn't very good at troubleshooting so he may take 1.5 hours to fix a particular problem at a cost of $45.00. The next time they had the same problem they'd call me and I'd fix it in under 30 minutes at a cost of $20.00 (and no, they didn't tell me what the other shop had done). If you tried to negotiate the price with me I'd send you to my competitor. Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by PapaB

A funny story about negotiations.

Back in College, when my wife and I were just friends, we used to sell aviation electronics at Hamfests to make extra money. For those that don't know, a Hamfest is a fleamarket for Ham radio's and various electronics where everyone negotiates on the used equipment. One of our college Professors showed up at one and came to our booth. It seems a nearby booth had something he needed but the people there knew him (and disliked him immensely). They were asking $80 and he wanted to pay $45 at most. My wife and I went to negotiate while he watched our booth.

We looked around the booth and 1 of the 3 guys there struck up a conversation.

him "So, are you looking for anything particular?"

me "Naw, we're just; hey look at that" as I pretend to just notice what we came for.

him "do you know what that is?"

me "sure, that's for (doesn't matter here), but $80 is a bit high and, my being a poor college student, I couldn't afford it anyway."

him "now that price isn't firm, why don't you make me an offer?"

me "gee I'd almost hate to. What I could afford would be insulting and I'd hate to do that."

him "go ahead, make me an offer, you can't insult me."

my wife (to the other guy) "you don't want to tell him that"

him "come on, have some fun. Insult me, I insist."

my wife (to me) "go ahead, he asked for it."

me "Okay. You're ugly, and Ill give you $30 for it."

him, to his friend (as he takes the money and hands me the item) "did you hear that, he said I was ugly"

his friend "Are you crazy? You weren't going to take less than $55 for that!"

him (still with a look of disbelief) "but he said I was ugly. Why would he say I was ugly?"

me "Well, you did tell me to insult you. goodbye"

My wife and I have laughed about that negotiation ever since. That poor guy was completely thrown by my offer. We sold the item to our Professor for $40 so he thought he got a good deal. Later in the day we went by that booth again and we heard the guy say to a customer, "hey, that's him there" (pointing at me) "that's the guy that said I was ugly. It threw me so much I practically gave away what he bought."

Edited by PapaB

I think some people confuse cheap with being thrifty. In this day and time there is no reason a person can't not know the fair price of an item. If the store/dealer is offering an already fair price and you try to "negotiate" them down, you're being cheap. IMO you are taking from their famly for your own good and it's a win-loose. If you pay the fair price it's win-win. Most buisness's operate on fairly small margins.

The ironic thing is most of the "negotiaters" are also the ones complain about the "Walmart" model driving out small buisness then make it hard for small buisness by "negotiating" their already low margins and make that much more difficult to stay in buisness. Just sayin. :D

NOw like has been said, some items are expected negotiations. I'm not refering to them. Restraunts, retail, etc are not in that boat.

Everything is open to negotiation. But I won't even try to negotiate unless I am ready to buy the item or service right then and there. Same thing with negotiating job salary. If you aren't ready to accept the job, don't bother negotiating.

You would be amazed how often you can get 10% off simply by saying "I have cash right here, and this is what I am prepared to pay, right now." Doing your homework up front helps a lot. Know what others are selling similar items or services for, and be prepared to walk away. Also, being polite and cheerful pays off. Acting like a know-it-all, or trying to badger the seller is just going to make them less likely to come down in price. The last point is that a lot of times, simply attempting to negotiate tells you what kind of person you are dealing with.