HG background check vs CP background check

If I were to go today to purchase another gun, I can be in and out of the store within the hour with it in my hands. The carry permit background check took at least a week, I'm assuming since it took 17 days to arrive. I'm not complaining about neither... but was wondering... Do they do the same checks? If not, wouldn't it make sense to do the more stringent background check when buying a gun?

I remember having to do the waiting, or cooling off period, years ago... and I'm glad we're past that, but what's the difference in the background checks?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
If I were to go today to purchase another gun, I can be in and out of the store within the hour with it in my hands. The carry permit background check took at least a week, I'm assuming since it took 17 days to arrive. I'm not complaining about neither... but was wondering... Do they do the same checks? If not, wouldn't it make sense to do the more stringent background check when buying a gun?

I remember having to do the waiting, or cooling off period, years ago... and I'm glad we're past that, but what's the difference in the background checks?

A TICS check that is made when purchasing a firearm is a simple registry search. There are more than one (three I believe) checks done when applying for your HCP. Someone may correct me but I believe there is a local law enforcement check, a TBI check, and an FBI check. I prefer the shorter one be on purchases. I don't want to wait a month on a firearm purchase. :)

A TICS check that is made when purchasing a firearm is a simple registry search. There are more than one (three I believe) checks done when applying for your HCP. Someone may correct me but I believe there is a local law enforcement check, a TBI check, and an FBI check. I prefer the shorter one be on purchases. I don't want to wait a month on a firearm purchase. :)

That is correct. A copy of your application is sent to the sheriff of your county of residence for him/her to review. They have 30 days to respond, so add a few days mailing time before and after that 30 days, that is why it can take a bit longer sometimes.

Guest WingMan380

You would think if you are a HCP holder you could by-pass the background check for firearms purchase since you have already been through an extensive background check to get your HCP. JMHO.

You would think if you are a HCP holder you could by-pass the background check for firearms purchase since you have already been through an extensive background check to get your HCP. JMHO.

Yes, but anything could have happened in the last four years. With all the background checks BS in the media all the time I doubt guns will be sold without a background check anytime soon. They probably will become even more invasive. Plus its $10 a pop for the state.

your right, all you should have to do is show a valid HCP. You dont even have to get fingerprinted to buy a handgun anymore, so if you have a permit thats already more info than their background check.

Edited by gl19gobang

I think it mainly has to do with how often the background check is done. In the states where their permits do exempt you form the check during a purchase...they do a new check at least annually. Our HCP background check is only done when we renew every 4 years.

Yes, but anything could have happened in the last four years. With all the background checks BS in the media all the time I doubt guns will be sold without a background check anytime soon. They probably will become even more invasive. Plus its $10 a pop for the state.

I'm waiting for a class action lawsuit against the state about the $10 TICS fee, since it's clearly regulating the purchase of the firearm, which is prohibited by the state constitution.

Plus, they want the 10 dollars.

I think it mainly has to do with how often the background check is done. In the states where their permits do exempt you form the check during a purchase...they do a new check at least annually. Our HCP background check is only done when we renew every 4 years.