Casing Ejection

Guest raceall

Guest raceall

I finally got to put a round through my new Ruger SR9C, to kill a mole in the back yard. The new round chambered as normal, but the fired casing didn't eject. Is this pretty common with new semi-automatics? I'm more familiar with revolvers.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes a new auto often has problems for a few hundred rounds. These come from magazines that are stiff and new as well as the moving parts being stiff and new. Load the mags and let them sit for a couple weeks or more. Break it down and lube it up good. Shoot 5 or 6 boxes thru it. If its still acting up ask again!

Can't say I have ever had a problem with a new mag. But it's possible.

The biggest problem I have seen as far as any type of jam, double feed, failure to eject is a lack of cleanliness and lubrication.

I will not say it won't happen. But in the past 10 years I think I could count on 1 hand the number of miss fires, or jams I have had shooting multiple weapons.

The other problem with a magazine is the springs will get weak. You can take them out and strech them, but eventually the spring will be to weak.

Being that yours is new and the first round, also your first post I think I would be a lack of lubrication first. But who knows this could also be your 15th gun.

Guest justluck

Agree with cleaning the new SR9c if you haven't do so already. Then consider the type ammo you're shooting. The recoil spring on a new SR9c is very stiff and some ammo isn't strong enough to "bang" the slide hard enough to the rear. You hear a lot about how bad Winchester White Box (WWB) ammo is, but it leaves the barrel at a higher velocity than most cheap ammo. Selliers & Bellot is hotter than WWB. Try one of these to break the gun in. Once you shoot the gun a bit and the recoil spring limbers up a little, you can probably shoot most any ammo.

At the range one day (I was shooting my SR9c), a guy next to me had a new SR9c and was having all kind of problems (about every other round). He was shooting PMC or UMC (Brass casings), I can't remember which. He had just come from the gun shop so the gun wasn't cleaned. I got him to try some of my WWB 115 gr FMJ - Walmart stuff. In a total of about 15 rounds in all, the gun never malfunctioned. When he went back to his ammo, same problems as before.

Edited by justluck

Hate to hear bout your ejection problem. But are you serious bout using a 9mm for a mole ? Was it growling and foaming at the mouth ? LOL your gonna have to tell us the whole story

Guest raceall

This weekend, I hope to have time to clean it up good, and get to the range or the farm to put some rounds through it.

BigA: We grow moles big up here in Western KY. hahaha Seriously, I've got some serious tunneling going on in my yard, I needed an excuse to pop off a few rounds, and I didn't want to run up stairs for the little shotgun. And, hey, the mole is now deceased. lol

yes a new auto often has problems for a few hundred rounds. These come from magazines that are stiff and new as well as the moving parts being stiff and new. Load the mags and let them sit for a couple weeks or more. Break it down and lube it up good. Shoot 5 or 6 boxes thru it. If its still acting up ask again!

Or... just get a Glock :lol:

Guest tngw1500se

I carry an XD so you'll have to explain to me what the word "malfunction" means :rolleyes:

Seriously, I've had guns with "issues". Those guns are no longer mine. It's kind of like if my wife ever cheated on me. My trust would be gone forever. My XDSC9 and the Wifes LC9 have been perfect.