South Carolina Carry

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like i will be relocating to Charleston, South Carolina in the very near future. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the gun laws? I would be particularity interested in how long my TN HCP is valid after moving. Thanks in advance for the help--

I'm pretty sure that once you move to another state you TN permit is immediately void. However, they have no way of knowing whether you are they for vacation or living there. I don't think TN actually knows about it until you get a new DL.

S.C has fairly friendly gun laws except no open carry and you can't carry in nearly as many states as you can with a TN permit.

I'm pretty sure that you can have a loaded gun in your car without a permit though. So that's a plus.

The process for getting a permit looks pretty easy. Looks like SC is a "must notify" state.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

I'm pretty sure that once you move to another state you TN permit is immediately void....

Likely varies state to state. TN, you can use out of state permit up to six months after moving here.

You must report change of address to TNDOS, but you have 60 days to do it, so assuming SC allows some grace period for out of state permits, seems to me you'd legally have 60 days to use the TN permit there as far as TN is concerned.

I'd bet that most people who move out of state don't report their change of address to TNDOS, though. There doesn't seem to be a penalty prescribed for not reporting the change, in or out of state.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Eric wrote and said that Lisa Knight emailed him that as soon as you got an out of state driver's license, your TN DL and HCP are void.

I guess the only (I guess, legal) ploy if moving to another state that honors TN HCP is wait and try to get your new DL and handgun permit as closely together as possible.

- OS

Eric wrote and said that Lisa Knight emailed him that as soon as you got an out of state driver's license, your TN DL and HCP are void.

I guess the only (I guess, legal) ploy if moving to another state that honors TN HCP is wait and try to get your new DL and handgun permit as closely together as possible.

- OS

Thanks Mac, I meant to post this but forgot. I probably should have waited a while to get my permit but at least now I'm not driving around illegally.