Cell phones and life

Guest GunTroll

Guest nicemac
I wonder how many lives have been saved because someone had the ability to call for help immediately instead of going and finding a phone. Even our cars can call for help when we can’t.

I wonder how many have been lost because of dialing/ texting while driving? I see it happening every single day.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

Ok, I'm seeing that the answer to my first question in my OP is that I must be crazy.

For those of you who have never met me, I'm probably not as big of an a** as I may come off here on TGO. But I am becoming more, ah, for lack of a better word at the moment, codger(?) :) . I do not like the advancements in the direction we are headed IMO. More reliance on gadgets and less on ourselves. I yearn for the simpler days of not long ago, and I understand that depending on your point of view, may or may not have been simple at all. And I know it sounds like I must have my tin hat on tight, but if our "leaders" don't wake up, we will be living very differently one day. Tomorrow? Probably not. But soon.

I need food, sleep, and water. The rest is a luxury. Oh yeah, guns are important. I do make my living off of them. :lol:

I know I'm weird.

Guest uofmeet

I have an IPhone 4 and I love all the extra little things it does. For example, I put my station back on the air from an App that I have. didn't even leave my cumfy chair. On the other hand, Their are times where I wish I could just fall off the grid for a while. However, if I did that, I could love to keep my IPhone for the internet and apps and stuff and turn the actual phone part off. But I do not know of anyway to do that. But i think that would be cool if it had an option to send every call straight to voice mail while still keeping the 3G service for internet.

[hi jack]

I think it is another time for a pointless ham plug, me and my wife are both hams. So even without cell phones, we could arrange to be able to talk to each other when we are on the go. I think many people underestimate ham radio.....It can save your life. When the SHTF and you can't use your cell phone anyways, their will still be ham.

[/hi jack]

Edited by uofmeet
Guest WingMan380

The wife, one of my sons and I all have cell phones but we do not have a land line. While I very rarely talk on my phone I have no reason to get rid of it basically due to the fact that we do not have a "Home Phone" plus with my parents getting older and 3 out of 4 of my grandparents are still living I like to be close at hand if needed. I have learned and it didn't take long to do so, that you do not have to answer the darn thing just because it rings and you can even turn the darn ringer off! I do have internet on my phone, which is nice because I can check out Facebook, Twitter, and TGO sites. The only reason I have a Twitter account is I do not watch local or national news so I follow several new sources so I can keep updated on what is going on in the world.

On the other hand, while I do not talk on my phone I do send/recieve 6000-8000 text messages a month.

Guest WingMan380
My thought is you don't really need it just do as suggested and buy a pay per use phone. They are handy in emergencies.

The only draw back to the pay as you go phones, you buy the minutes and they are only good for a short period of time and then you have to buy more minutes to keep your service active even if you have minutes to spare.

I certainly enjoy the convenience of my cell phone and the internet and all the technology we have today; I even make my living because of technology. However, for some reason, I can't help but find it just a bit disturbing that technology that either was (or practically was) nonexistent just 15 or 20 or 30 years ago is now seen as almost "essential for life" these days (and seen as a "right" by some).

Maybe I'm just getting old.

I wonder how many have been lost because of dialing/ texting while driving? I see it happening every single day.

I agree. I’ll take that one step farther; I support the outlawing of cell phone use while driving. Take your eyes off the road or get preoccupied with a phone for a second and you could kill yourself or an innocent person.

It’s common sense; driving takes all your attention.