Denied

Guest rurik

Question for the members. Found a nice rifle at the pawn shop the other day, and when the Background Check was run, I was denied. I have misdemeanor assault and diu on my record, but it was not Domestic Violence. When I talked to the TICS, they told me to call the dealer in a few days to see if my appeal was overturned. Am I out of luck?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Anything violence related is a BIG NO go for gun purchases. The nature of the charge is irrelevant. If you want to pass a TICS, you will need to have the violence charge expunged and the paper work pushed all the way through the Federal system. A lot of folks get expungements that only clear on the state level and still show on the federal side because their lawyers didn't follow through on the federal side.

Edited by Smith

I don't mean to be rude or critical, but why post this? At least you should have said it was for a friend. Reason being, no one here (legally, or in good conscience) can let you buy anything from the classifieds in a personal sale. Should someone miss this post and sell to you, a hell bent attorney that does some serious digging on this site could get the seller in trouble saying he should have known you were ineligible to purchase being as it is publicly known that you were denied.

I am in NO WAY SHAPE FORM OR FASHION condoning transferring a weapon to someone that cannot legally purchase one, but it seems to me you should have given it more thought, unless of course you never plan on buying anything person to person.

Sorry.

I am not trying to purchase anything on here. I was attempting to make a legal purchase at a FFL dealer. Both my attorney and the DA assured me that a misdemeanor, even simple assault, would not negate my ability to purchase or own a firearm. TCA states that the offense you are charged with cannot have the possibility of a sentence over a year. If you are convicted, the sentence must have been under a year, and it of course cannot be a felony. The only misdemeanor exception is Domestic Violence, and that is not an issue.

• Administrator

Nothing good can come of this thread. If you want to be someone with a record who enjoys firearms, fine. G. Gordon Liddy comes to mind. But if you want to be someone with a record who tries to circumvent the law, please discuss it somewhere else.

Thread closed.