Glock 22 or 23, which one?

AMSting

I have been looking for a 40S&W for awhile now. My wife used to carry a CW40, but moved to a SR9c due to hand strength issues. The Kahr has been sold. In order to have something to shoot up the ammo stock I have, I am looking for a 40 for me. I have it narrowed down to Glock or XD. As usually happens, I now have a chance for a Glock 22 and a Glock 23. No, getting both is not an option.

I have a carry weapon, so I don’t really need another. I am not really planning to use this for IDPA, at least not as a primary shooter. It will be a nightstand gun, maybe a truck gun, maybe a “stick in my pocket for a quick run to the store†gun. The G23 is $25 more than the 22. The 22 has a 3.5lb trigger. Both have been shot less than 100 rounds. They come with all the factory items. I need help deciding which one is the better deal, and which one is better overall. I expect this to be subjective, but I really don’t know which way to go.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 22 is huge compared to the 23. IMO, I would get the 23 based strictly on the versatility of it. You can carry it and/or keep it at your nightstand. The 3.5 trigger upgrade is only $20 or so to do to the 23 so don't let that be a deciding factor. If you plan on sticking it in your pocket...I hope you have big pockets!

I say the G22 . I have both and I just seem to be more accurate with the G22 than the 23 . Also the G22 is not much more bigger than the 23 . Some people say it is huge compared with the 23 but it is not . I carry a G34 and have no problem. I suggest to go and handle them and bring a holster that will fit them both and see if the seller will let you put each gun in the holster that you may carry it in .

For me the G23 fits perfectly. I'd even go so far as to say it is the best feeling handgun I own other that a 1911.

The size difference between it and the 22 is minimal. The 22 is .47 inches longer and .43 inches taller and holds 2 extra rounds.

I vote for the 23 as it would be a little easier to carry if you wanted.

I have owned, carried and shot 2ND Generation G-22, G-23 and G27 pistol’s at one time or another for the last 12-13 years. Currently I use a 3rd generation G-22 and 4th generation G27. I am very pleased with the 4th generation Glock, primarily because of the interchangeable back pieces and how well they help the pistols fit. Given my own personal experience’s I would recommend a 4th generation G-23 for your purchase, I don’t think you’d go wrong with it.

I have owned, carried and shot 2ND Generation G-22, G-23 and G27 pistol’s at one time or another for the last 12-13 years. Currently I use a 3rd generation G-22 and 4th generation G27. I am very pleased with the 4th generation Glock, primarily because of the interchangeable back pieces and how well they help the pistols fit. Given my own personal experience’s I would recommend a 4th generation G-23 for your purchase, I don’t think you’d go wrong with it.

TNWNGR , do the Gen 4 G23's and G22's have the little bump or buldge on the trigger bar ?

Guest Victor9er

I have a G19 (same size as the G23) as my carry gun and I'm buying a G22 for the same reason you've stated. It's really not that much bigger than the G23. The only difference is a little extra barrel length and a little more handle sticking out the bottom. The width between the two are identical, so if your hand doesn't hang off the bottom of the G23 then your grip won't be affected by either gun. (btw the G22 is the EXACT same size as the G17) You'll also gain two extra rounds in the G22 than what you would have with the G23.

If you're buying this gun to primarily carry, then I'd suggest the G23. But if you already have a carry gun and are getting this for the house & range primarily, then go with the G22. You could always still carry it if you need to, especially in winter. It'll fit most of the same holsters as the G23, G19 & G17.

Bottom line though you can't go wrong with either one.

Edited by Victor9er

I have both the Glock 22 Gen4 and Glock 23 Gen4. During the day I carry the G-23 and at night I carry the G-22. I shoot both handguns well, but I would give a small edge to the G-22. I do not think you would go wrong with either gun. Get the one the fits your needs better and enjoy.

Guest Victor9er
I don't have either, but if I had the choice I would choose the G23. It's a compact, so it's easier to conceal, and you can convert it to 9mm or .357 SIG, so it's like having three in one!

You can convert the G22 as well. See Lone Wolf barrels.

Edit: I'm sure you knew that but the way you worded it, it sounded like you could only convert the G23 and not the G22. I was just clarifying for the benefit of the OP. ;)

Edited by Victor9er

I have a G22 Gen4 and it is an excellent pistol, but due to its size it's a home defense gun only (which is why I bought it). For carry purposes I also have a G26 Gen4 in 9mm.

If I had it to do over again, I would rather have a G23 instead of the full-sized 22. Small enough to carry and still adequate for home defense.