Hunting over bait - defined by TWRA! Finally!

Finally, the TWRA has issued an internal statement to standardize the "far to gray" offense of hunting over bait. Like it or not, now we know the rules.

TWRA Addresses Use of Bait for Hunting

Released on Tue, Aug 23, 2011 - 12:09 pm under

NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency has been receiving inquiries concerning hunting with the use of bait. The statute concerning the use of bait (TCA 70-4-113) has not been changed.

However, in response to questions from hunters concerning hunting with the aid of bait, the TWRA has adopted an internal law enforcement procedure aimed at providing uniform enforcement of these regulations statewide for deer, turkey, and elk. Due to a greatly different response to bait, the procedure does not apply to bear and other wildlife.

For the purpose of enforcing TCA 70-4-113 and Proclamation 10-11, a baited area shall be enforced by the following procedure:

No person may hunt wildlife while using bait or may hunt any baited area where he or she knows or reasonably should have known that the area is or has been baited. Shooting into or entering into “a baited area†for the purpose of hunting is prohibited. “A baited area†is defined as a 250-yard radius of the placement of the bait. “A baited area†will no longer be considered to be baited 10 days after all bait has been removed.

---TWRA---

TWRA Addresses Use of Bait for Hunting | TN.gov Newsroom

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is nice that they finally defined it. I've never liked the idea that a game warden, if he was so inclined, could charge you with hunting over bait for shooting a deer that was walking a trail to a bait pile half a mile away that you didn't even know about.

I'm not a hunter, but from the stories I've heard from hunters and the like most of the game wardens are either crooked or intellectually challenged. Why would interpretation come from inside the department rather than a court's interpretation, and why would it be internal only? Perhaps they have a reason for not advertising it?

I'm not a hunter, but from the stories I've heard from hunters and the like most of the game wardens are either crooked or intellectually challenged. Why would interpretation come from inside the department rather than a court's interpretation, and why would it be internal only? Perhaps they have a reason for not advertising it?

I am a hunter, and a semi-educated one at that. I also know a few wardens personally too. I don't believe that the majority are crooked or intellectually challenged. As for the interpretation, I believe the TWRA received many complaints about the law being too vague, from both hunters and uniformed officers. The TWRA can't quickly change the wording of the law, but they can issues directives to officers to give guidance and department standards. I suspect the law will eventually be amended to include the wording of the directive, but this clears things up until then.

This is great for many hunters that struggle to keep wildlife on their small acreage hunting areas and those that can't afford farming equipment. Now they can set up year round feeding stations that keep deer and turkey nearby, and can safely move more than 250 yards away to hunt without fear of being arrested.

Some states define "baiting". I am not aware if TN has officially defined "bait". What is the general consensus of that?

I know that picked corn, feed, picked apples, and other food items thrown on the ground constitute baiting, but where is that line? What about non-food items like water or mineral licks? A water trough might work better than food right now, but I'm sure TWRA considers that baiting. What about scents, and decoys? Rattling and grunting is used to lure (i.e., bait) deer.

I'm guessing that they interpret bait as something that a deer consumes (except food plots and food that is growing). Water trough???

This recent guidance is nice, but a definition of "bait" would also help.

Edited by Batman

Some of these smaller hunting lands don't have 250 yards in either direction, now what?

We had a friend arrested two years ago for hunting in a baited area. He was part of a group lease on some hunting land. He went into an area before daylight and got up into his climbing stand to hunt. He missed a shot at a doe, and decided to come back that afternoon. While hunting that afternoon he was arrested for hunting a baited area. He had no clue it was baited. He didn't do it, didn't know it was there. Apparently TWRA had been watching the area. He just happened to be the one there. Lost his hunting rights for a year and got fined. Some laws are just BS! I think it all comes down to the wildlife officers mood for the day or how he sees things!

Guest adamoxtwo
Some states define "baiting". I am not aware if TN has officially defined "bait". What is the general consensus of that?

I know that picked corn, feed, picked apples, and other food items thrown on the ground constitute baiting, but where is that line? What about non-food items like water or mineral licks? A water trough might work better than food right now, but I'm sure TWRA considers that baiting. What about scents, and decoys? Rattling and grunting is used to lure (i.e., bait) deer.

I'm guessing that they interpret bait as something that a deer consumes (except food plots and food that is growing). Water trough???

This recent guidance is nice, but a definition of "bait" would also help.

hmmmmm.....Water.....interesting idea...

I just got off the phone with TWRA's Wildlife Division and asked them what is considered "bait". Salt blocks, mineral blocks and loose salt and minerals are perfectly legal to hunt over. However, if your block contains any type of food scent or food product, that is a big no-no! Any block that contains corn, persimmon, grape, acorn, molasses or ANY food substance is considered baiting unless removed 10 days before you hunt. Any food or grain located in feeders or spread on the ground for the purpose of attracking wildlife is illegal. I.E.: throwing corn on the ground in the woods and hunting is baiting. Hunting over a cornfield where grain has been dropped due to harvesting, is a natural agricultural practice and does not constitute baiting. If you throw apples on the ground under an oak tree....that's baiting. Hunting near a persimmon tree with persimmons on the ground is legal. And on and on and on....then I got the usual (concerning salt and mineral blocks and powder) Officer's interpretation.

Placing a doe decoy in front of your stand and drowning it with "doe pee", is legal....but think how cruel that would be to that poor'ol buck coming in for some action, and all he gets is a "dirt nap"!

I was told to think "food". If your blocks contain any FOOD products or FOOD scent (like apple blocks, persimmon blocks, acorn blocks, ect., ect..) They are illegal to use unles removed 10 days prior. Any Food item thrown on the ground is illegal unless removed. My favorite, deercane, contains molasses as an attractant. So I won't put any down 10 days prior!

Edited by wd-40

Food Scents! That's nuts! :) Thanks for making the call WD. That was the same info I had gotten a couple years back from our local warden, however he left out the part about food scents. (unfortunately he also informed a class of Hunter's Safety Course students at the time).