Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm Convertible Opinions?

graycrait

I was wondering if any folks own one of these convertibles and can tell me how accurate they are with .357/.38SPL and especially how accurate with 9mm?

I am thinking about learning about tuning a Ruger Single Action and this convertible seems to make sense if I can get at least some accuracy with cheap 9mm.

I figure the 6.5" would be the one to get - and could hunt with it in .357.

Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® Convertible Single-Action Revolver Models

Thanks,

Craig in Clarksville

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From physics viewpoint, the 9mm can't be as accurate, but you'd have to lock it down on a bench to prove it, and it would not be significant short of a crack tourney shooter, methinks. Can tell you that .38 and 9mm feel about like shooting .22 magnum through a Single Six, recoil wise.

Anyway, I love mine (it's the 4.5" model) -- it and the Marlin .357 are great mates.

blackhawk-marlin.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest The Highlander

I've always wanted one of these too. Don't know why, but since the 9mm and .357 are probably my two favorite centerfire rounds, it would kind of make sense I guess. Who cares, I'll get one sooner or later.

The semi auto cases headspace on the mouth of the cartridge, and since they are ejected with a rod, no moon clip is needed in a single action revolver. The thing that makes me wonder is that a 9mm is a .355" bullet, while the 38 Spl is .357" dia.
If you use a hollow base round it should expand enough to seal the barrel, and I am pretty sure a lead slug would too. It should be possible to make rounds that perform well in the larger barrel. Or, you could probably poke 38sp slugs into the 9mm case if you wanted to, with a little creativity.
If you use a hollow base round it should expand enough to seal the barrel, and I am pretty sure a lead slug would too. It should be possible to make rounds that perform well in the larger barrel. Or, you could probably poke 38sp slugs into the 9mm case if you wanted to, with a little creativity.

Yeah. It just seems odd to me. I'm sure there would be sales problems if there were any real accuracy problems with them. All in all I like the idea of the interchangeable cylinders.