Take me hunting!

I tried this last year to no avail, so I thought I would try it a little earlier this time. I want to go hunting. I have never been so I have no idea where to go/what to do. If anyone is willing to take me out it would be greatly appreciated...I can help you track or do whatever prep work is needed beforehand. I'm in the Knoxville area but will go just about anywhere...any takers?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

JohhnyFox, check the TWRA website and check up on the Wildlife Management Areas in your area. I used to hunt alot at Catoosa WMA which is outside of Crossville. I very much enjoyed hunting there. It is a beautiful and large property that is a public area. There are a couple of designated camping areas and it's pretty easy to pull up a chair to a campfire meet new people. I remember seeing the same folks for several years in a row and swapping stories. We even managed to pull a few deer and turkeys out of there. I have a pretty full plate with my youngest for a few more years til he "leaves the nest" but I wish you well sir. I was taught to shoot by my father but he was not a hunter and I was bitten by the bug at an early age. So I had to be self-taught. But back in those days the info you really need wasn't shared as easily as today in the information age hahaha. Don't let being alone hold you back, just be safe and let someone know where you will be and when you should return. Get out and enjoy this world God has put us in and all its wonders. From meager beginnings of squirrel hunting on my own as a 10 yr old I have hunted from south Texas to Northern Canada and "guided" 5 kids to thier first deer and 3 to thier first turkeys (and my wife) It is a grand adventure and it takes different turns all the time. If you are still spinning your wheels in a few years get back to me, my youngest is a freshman in high school and we hunt TN and KY during deer season and this year he is in the marching band which will cut our father son time down as far as hunting goes so I am selfishly hunting with him only til he goes his own way. Most true hunters are pretty choosy about whom they take afield, most of us would sooner have an arranged marriage as to take on a hunting partner like a blind date. So do a little footwork on your butt, obviously you know how to use the computer. Then take to the woods. AFTER completing the TWRA hunter safety course. They are offered all over the state in Sept and Oct. PM me with your progress and if I can help you in any other way from here let me know.

Even if you don't find a local hunting partner, just go to the woods. When I was 8 years old I started hunting squirrels in the woods behind our house. Get a shotgun or .22 and go hunt some squirrels. Time in the woods is what makes a hunter better. Just learn to move slowly and quietly and get close to game.

Whiskey gives good advice. Find you some hickory nut trees that the squirrels are feeding in. Get in before daylight, sit down and nail them little tree rats when they come to feed on the hickorys. The'll be in the trees, not on the ground. Just watch the trees. You'll do just fine! Go in the evening time too. Right before dark.