Trail cam catches dogs killing a doe

I was with a buddy one time and we also had to take care of a dog. It was coming onto my buddies property from somewhere. It had killed 2 barn cats and aprox 5 or 6 chickens, and also not making it safe for children on the farm. My buddy actually shot the dog with his 12ga as the dog was running towards us!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you let your dog loose? I’m a dog lover, and not a hunter, but if I saw dogs killing a deer, I would take them out. I would feel bad about it and probably lose some sleep, but I doubt I would worry about what the owner was going to do. He should have been taking care of his dogs.

T.C.A. (LexisNexis tncode)

70-4-118. Unlawful to hunt deer being chased by dogs or to permit dogs to hunt or chase deer -- Confiscation of dogs -- Penalties.

(a) No person shall knowingly hunt deer being chased by dogs nor shall any person knowingly and intentionally permit such person's dogs to hunt or chase deer.

(;) Any officer of the wildlife resources agency may take into possession any dog known to have hunted or chased deer and shall notify the owner of the dog, or if the owner is unknown, shall advertise in a newspaper of general circulation in the county that the dog is in the officer's possession, giving the description of the dog and stating the circumstances under which it was taken. The officer shall hold the dog for a period of ten (10) days and shall report the facts in full to the director.

© If, within ten (10) days, the owner claims the dog, the owner may repossess it on payment of the costs of advertising and the cost of keep. If the owner does not claim the dog within the above specified time, the dog shall be deemed ownerless and a public nuisance and shall be disposed of in the manner prescribed by the executive director. In this event, the costs of advertising and keep shall be paid by the agency.

(d) Any person violating the provisions of this section commits a Class B misdemeanor. It is mandatory upon the court to impose the prison sentence, and the minimum time is not subject to suspension, but may be served on such days designated by the judge.

Guest GunTroll
That was a different time. But yes, we were attacked on the edge of a county road. We didn't get fined, because the other guy backed down because our lawyer supeoned his vet records to actualy verify that the dogs were his and that they were up on their shots. My son took a doe, and thats what got the dogs after us to begin with.

Crazy! Dang lawyers. Love, hate relationship for sure.

So letting my dog chase away the nuisance deer who continue to eat nearly every plant around my parents house is against the law, but shooting them is legal? Interesting...

If you have a predation problem with deer, contact TWRA and get a permit to harvest. If it's in a place where shooting isn't permitted, see if TWRA will trap and remove it. If it's in a heighborhood, you shouldn't be letting your dog run loose to chase deer!

I don't know about Maryville, but Clarksville/Montgomery county has a "leash law".

Guest GunTroll

While I'm all for nature doing its business. If the dog(s) have collars and are therefore claimed to be a "pet" or at the very least a animal that is owned privately, and it is killing for sport or food, no matter if the prey is sick or not. The dog is tainted and has the taste of blood now. I would kill it for that reason alone. I understand dogs don't know property lines and there are folks among us that also don't know property lines but repercussions are swift you that let dogs roam. At the very least you better get hold of them in late summer through late spring for that is my killing season as well as many millions of other folks who head to the woods.

What did you think? Hunters in the woods with weapons = ASPCA or PETA? Control it or deal with it!

If the dog(s) have collars and are therefore claimed to be a "pet" or at the very least a animal that is owned privately, and it is killing for sport or food, no matter if the prey is sick or not. The dog is tainted and has the taste of blood now. I would kill it for that reason alone.

So if my bassett hound kills a coon or a possum he is a vicious beast?

The dog is tainted and has the taste of blood now. I would kill it for that reason alone.

I showed this to my dogs. They have decided that you are tainted and should be mauled the next time they see you. :(

edited to add: You better wear ankle protection.

Edited by whiskey

How about the rabbit hunters or bird hunters that use dogs. I think this is tricky situation. I think a coke and popcorn, sit back and enjoy the chase. I was rabbit hunting a local WMA a couple of years ago. The deer bow season ended on Friday on this particular WMA. I went rabbit hunting that next morning, opening day of rabbit. I was running two champion beagles, they jumped a bunny and headed through a standing cornfield. My son and his buddy stayed where the rabbit was jumped, and I made my way through the cornfield to the other side. As I was walking along the edge of the field, I found 2 arrows sticking up out of the ground. I reached down to pick them up and I hear this voice "those are mine". I looked around (I thought I was hearing things) He said I'm up in this tree". He asks" are those your beagles?" I said yup. He says "I tried to shoot those mouthy (explicit) mutts."

I said really? I told him to come on down out of the tree. He says "if I don't?" I told him I was going to start taking chunks out of the side of his tree that he was in with my shotgun...you'll come down buddy! I had a full box of high brass #6's. His tree was all of about 12 inches wide. I think I could have brought it down ok with him in it!

He called his buddy on his little radio, and when his buddy showed up, that skinny little twirp climbed down out of his stand (it turned out they were in the army). They both are standing there all puffed up on me asking what I wanted to do about it...where did I want to go with it? They were dumber than a sack of rocks, because they had already layed their bows on the ground and had folding knives on their hips. I'm standing there with a 12 gauge shotgun layed across my shoulder. Nothing like bringing empty hands to a gun fight ya know?

About that time, my son (6'2 260) and his buddy (6' 225) stepped out of the cornfield. You could hear the air deflate out of them two dudes lungs when they seen "the boys' step out of the cornfield. My son says what's up dad? I says "this fellow shot arrows at the dogs". My son says "really", did he hit 'em, I said not that I know of. I haven't seen them to check them yet.

My son and his buddy both wanted to rip their faces off right then and there. I said no, let me check the dogs first then I'll deal with it. I finaly got the dogs off the rabbit, and they were both OK. To make a long story short, I called the game warden from my cell phone, he got them, took their bows and charged them with hunting deer during a closed season, and hunting without a WMA permit. He also warned them about shooting at someone's hunting dogs, and how it could get them busted up pretty bad because some of them ol' boys don't play when it comes to their dogs.

When we got back to our truck, we found that they had came in and parked right next to us. Our tailgate was down, dog box sitting there. What about that might say someone is hunting with dogs here?

All I know is, if he had hit my dogs, their red blazer truck would not had a single tire, piece of glass, tail light, headlight or nothing left! It's called a 12 gauge and don't mess with us "good'ol boys"!

When it comes to our hunting dogs, call us what you want...but we are known as "Bubba" or "Good'ol Boys" which ever you choose to call us. I'll answer to almost anything! You mess with my dogs...you mess with my family!

Edited by wd-40
I showed this to my dogs. They have decided that you are tainted and should be mauled the next time they see you. :(

Don't you have some "4-legged" little winnie that trails deer? Game Warden warned me about that little ankle biter! LOL You need a bigger dawg buddy!

Don't you have some "4-legged" little winnie that trails deer? Game Warden warned me about that little ankle biter! LOL You need a bigger dawg buddy!

You ever put a leash on a big dog and try to keep up with it in the woods? A little dog is the way the smart man does it.

I'll take your word for it. All I've been told was it was sharp when it came to trailing wounded deer. Used to be a guy on fort campbell years back, that you could call to recover a deer. He couldn't charge anyone, but he sure did good in gratuities! At he time I think he got tipped about 25.00 per trip.

If you have a predation problem with deer, contact TWRA and get a permit to harvest. If it's in a place where shooting isn't permitted, see if TWRA will trap and remove it. If it's in a heighborhood, you shouldn't be letting your dog run loose to chase deer!

I don't know about Maryville, but Clarksville/Montgomery county has a "leash law".

They have contacted TWRA about getting a nuisance permit. TWRA has been slow to respond. My folks have 12.5 acres that borders about 40 acres of TWRA property. I'd assume that most municipalities have leash laws. It's clear how well they're both enforced and obeyed.

I'd also agree that the deer in photos was sick. I can't imagine that a dog could catch a healthy deer in the woods, much less bring it down.

Guest GunTroll
So if my bassett hound kills a coon or a possum he is a vicious beast?

Sure. Did it happen on permission given land? Yours even? Were you coon/possum hunting? Did they loose focus and go after a deer? Were you there with him? Many variables.

I showed this to my dogs. They have decided that you are tainted and should be mauled the next time they see you. :up:

edited to add: You better wear ankle protection.

I'm not coming anywhere near your dogs. Just wait till you decide to finally come down my way. I have dog that you are gonna love, or perhaps I should say he is gonna love you :blink:. Ah, in a strictly platonic way of course.

There is no perfect answer to what is right and what is wrong. IF its your dog that got killed it will seem like it was wrong. If it was you doing the killing when you felt it was warranted ( again many variables to consider) you will feel right. When you get a fine, wrong. When the dog blew your chance at a great deer, right. This could go on and on. Even if TN rules that you can not, you can, look up livestock rules her in TN, you think a rancher/hunter hasn't pulled that one before while deer hunting. :shrug:

This I know. If you love your dog, control it at all times. I love my kids and don't let them run wild for fear of many bad outcomes. My last dog might as well have been blood. I'm not heartless. I have a dog. He doesn't run free.

Also when the need arises to play billy bad ass in the woods, HCP's are allowed in WMA's and now allowed to be carried during bow season too WMA or not, so be careful how you treat bubba, or the guy who killed or took a shot at your beloved dog. Something like this could turn real ugly when life or limb is potentially threatened.

Edited by GunTroll
Guest Jeffster

I looked at the photos and to stay focused on the topic, If it were my land and those were not my dogs, I would have killed them. I would do this cause it was my land. If it was not my land and they were my dogs, I would have Killed them only if that is not how I had trained them. There is no wrong way to do the correct thing.